The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Options

Comments

• MargaretMc
    Options
    Sainsbury's own bran All Bran was £1.09 for 1kg not so long ago. Then reduced to 750g at same price. Last week £1.19 for 500g!! Do they think we don't notice? Only consolation is that it is still cheaper than the same product from Kelloggs.
  • spaceboy
    spaceboy Posts: 1,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone else noticed the mid-sized Snickers? To the unsuspecting eye it looks like a normal size snickers so when you see it for 50p you think "ok, not too bad". Than you open it and realise it's smaller than a normal one.
  • purplestar133
    Options
    I've noticed branded cheese such as Cathedral City and Pilgrim's Choice have shrunk from 400g packs to 350g packs. There is almost always an offer on these branded cheeses where you can get a pack for £2 or 2 for £4 but as they have decreased the pack sizes and the prices are the same, I avoid them now.

As another poster has said, Aldi cheese has eventually gone down to 350g packs, but it did stick with 400g for £1.89 for longer than the 'premium' brands! It is still the cheapest - and nice!
  • purplestar133
    Options
    I've also noticed hot cross buns are sold in smaller packs in Asda now - 4 instead of 6 for 80p-£1.

The Tesco 6 packs have almost doubled in price.

You might have guessed I love a hot cross bun!
  • KDC
    KDC Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I realize that Andrex toilet rolls aren't food, but they've shrunk alot over the past year or so both in height and number of sheets on the roll.

I rang Andrex and queried this and they confirmed that they make them smaller now.
  • sweetshop_2
    Options
    It's not just food - has any one noticed that Andrex isn't as wide as it used to be .... that must be quite a few square inches gone missing.
    Crafty puppy!!!:naughty:
  • babushkava
    Options
    I noticed, first with the hot cross buns around Easter and currant buns then and since, that the size of each bun has shrunk by about 30%, though the price remains the same as before. The packets that the fours are in, are very small now.
  • babushkava
    Options
    Also, although it is not food, toilet rolls used to be 280 two-ply sheets per roll, eg Andrex, now most are 200 sheets. The manufacturers try to disguise this by making the cardboard centre larger in diameter.
  • endafk
    Options
    This was pointed out by a checkout assistant at waitrose - Innocent smoothness got smaller, price stayed the same. In case anyone from Innocent is reading, I never bought the product again. Funny how you get vivid indicators when it is 33% extra or "New Bigger Pack" but not when it is the other way around... it is quite deceiving, good if you're on a diet I suppose :mad:
    Incidentally, has Martin factored in that his hands have grown...? :p
  • FreddieM
    FreddieM Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Beans used to be 450g per tin Now 400g (same price)
    Heinz soups exactly the same. Now down to 400g and the price of Heinz soups have doubled in 18 months.
    My rule of thumb with bacon is not the amount of rashers but the weight. You should pay no more than £1 for 200g else you are getting conned.
    Prepacked yoghurts have also shrunk in size but have risen in price.
    Large 4 pints of Milk have now become 2 litres A litre is 1.75 pints
    Be frugal out there..... No such thing as a bargain anymore ;-)
    If youcan lie down at night knowing in your heart that you just made someone’s day just a little bit better,you know you had a good day!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback