Brother borrowed 20k without consent

Options

Comments

• chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you sure your brother didn't take over control of the insurance policies when he was in charge of your father's finances? Wouldn't put it past him to be claiming them now.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PS. I do hope your dad made a proper will during the past year.
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this :(
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • Just2Ashamed
    Just2Ashamed Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    Such incredibly sad news, thinking of you.
    PAD: £4843.10 (loan paid, yay!)
    One debt vs 100 days: £288.73 / £750
    £20 a day: March £838.97 / £620 April £224.53 / £600

Total debt 04/2015: £13,997.51
  • lemonpopsicle
    Options
    What awful news Nana, thinking of you xx
    Life's little instructions- Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated..Watch a sunrise at least once a year..Strive for excellence not perfection:j
    £2 SC no.70 £140/£350
    SPC no.73 SPC9 £248 SPC10 target £250
    DFBX12 No. 069 £7719 / £7719 DEBT FREE 30/11/12
    2013 mfw No.4 MORTGAGE FREE 5/8/13
  • kanute50
    kanute50 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    So sorry to read your sad news. Thinking of you and your family at this very sad time, as will every person who has read your story. You have been a wonderful daughter. Please take comfort in knowing that you have done the very best for your Dad.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've just read this thread from start to finish, I am so sorry for your loss. Your dad was very lucky to have you & your children xx
  • wheezy57
    wheezy57 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    Im so saddened by the death of your beloved dad. He at least is now free of all the dreadful abuse metered out to him by your brother.

I am curious though with your insurance policy whereabouts. I thought you had taken over all your fathers financial affairs? Did this particular issue arise in the past months whilst protecting your father financially?

Nevertheless, it is a time of great sadness for you and I suspect you will come through with great fortitude and strength.

Can I dare to hope that your brother does not attend the funeral?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So sorry to hear your news - at least your Dad had your love and support and you know that you did everything possible to help him.

There's helpful people over on http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=217 who will be able to help with the practical things that have to be done now.
  • NANANINANOONOO
    NANANINANOONOO Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 March 2015 at 2:07PM
    Options
    wheezy57 wrote: »
    Im so saddened by the death of your beloved dad. He at least is now free of all the dreadful abuse metered out to him by your brother.

I am curious though with your insurance policy whereabouts. I thought you had taken over all your fathers financial affairs? Did this particular issue arise in the past months whilst protecting your father financially?

Nevertheless, it is a time of great sadness for you and I suspect you will come through with great fortitude and strength.

Can I dare to hope that your brother does not attend the funeral?

Thank you for your kind wishes wheezy. Ive tried again today but cannot trace any insurance for dad so I may have to try for a government grant to help me. I have no idea if brother will attend the funeral, he will know details through various routes but I will have no clue until the day.

To clarify your question, I did not take over my dads fiancial affairs because he was an intelligent very able man & in excellent health so he has always been perfectly capable of taking care of his own affairs, he merely trusted my his son to oversee things on a advisory basis with no idea he had actual access to all his savings & current account, so it was only dads complete trust in my brother that caused his downfall. Since my brothers deeds were uncovered I have deliberately not wanted to have any access to dads financial affairs, not because dad did not trust me but because I did want anyone to misenturprit my intentions & I have just really held dads hand through this carrying out his wishes communicating on his behalf & collating info he could never have done himself.

Sadly both overwhelmed by the endless obsticles & let downs by the police & other systems along the way we both needed a break from all the hopeless emotions. I reverted to encouraging dad to accept that there was nothing to be done now without funds to pay for a solicitor fees and to adopt a 'what will be will be' attitude in the hope that he would find some peace & could enjoy life again.

After this break & since xmas dad had just started seeing a solicitor with lots of avenues & pans in pipeline to make a litigation case, make a will (in case successful in a court case!) & plans to resift through his papers & contact insurance companies to find any policies. Sadly dad suddenly became ill & very quickly declined to his passing in just 6 short weeks - it really was that quick!

Dad had never stopped fretting & wanting justice from day one & I now feel such guilt for stalling him & constantly trying to persuade him to accept with a what will be will be attitude, now he was never able to find the closure he yearned for. Even during his last days he was worrying about the cost of his care with nurses struggling to soothe & reassure him - broke my heart to hear his ramblings about my brother knowing that despite extensvie pain meds this was still on his mind to the very end. Now my hands are tied in red tape because defeated I gave up on doing things with any urgency at end of last year, I thought my lovely dad would live forever & wanted him to concentrate on putting this hurt behind him & having a life.

I am heartbroken but blessed dad is free from this wretched pain that still clouds everything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure