September's Step-Up!!!

Options

Comments

• thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 September 2013 at 11:30AM
    Options
    SO I have been thinking about my food expenditure and it's annoying me. I posted a picture on FB last night that amounted to around £1.11 for the meal which to me is WAY too much. I duly tried Jack's staple of tinned everyday value potatoes and apart from the preservative and their slightly too perfect surface they tasted fine... it was pointed out that Lidl's had an offer of potatoes for 89p although I wasn't told how heavy this amounted to ( or who posted as everyones names were different).. but the tinned ones work out at 30p for 1KG according to Jack.. albeit the less healthy option..

I also purchase on Saturday night 2 packs of veggie sausages for £3 for 20. They are 15p each and again way too much in my book but they are lovely chopped into tom sauce on pasta...

When I think of what Jack is living on I am a little bit annoyed with myself, I like a good challenge though..

Any suggestions on vegetables that will last.. looks like I need to hit the frozen section... shame I barely have room in the freezer - might need to speak to LLL about this today..

Right thats me... Sorry for the waffle...

Yes you might have to hit the freezer section. But it's great to have bags of value green beans, peas and the like in there. As nutritious but more economical. Most fresh veg won't last a week especially since we don't have dark cool cellars to store them ;).

Tinned potatoes. I just can't imaging how they can be so much cheaper then fresh ones (the tin, all the additives and the work). But I guess buying a 2.5 kg sack (for £1.50 sometimes) only makes sense if there are more than one of you. Same for veggie sausages, they were 15p each (full price?, that's good, no?). Well someone needs to grow the veg and make them, and get paid for them unless you just want oats and veggie peel in them.

I read recently someone bought tinned toms for 15p a tin, was I dreaming? I can't find any below 35p (even value or LIDL). Please tell me whereI can find them.

Re the £1.11 per meal. That's what I got for that on the weekend (roast dinner)
    - 4 chicken legs £2.41 (I guess not the most animal friendly version :o)
    - half a bag of potatoes 40p
    - few of carrots and an onion 20p
    - stock cube 5p
    - cream 20p
    - spices N/A

Total: £1.08 per person, fed three :D Was quite proud of this until....

Although adding it up just dinner costs us at least £120 a month :eek::eek: (two adults, plus wee one). Sorry never saw it like that until now. Thought a pound a meal is cheap, mmmhhhhhh :shocked: No wonder my budget of £150 could have never worked. Well that made me truly think now. Thanks NSK while writing this I just had my food LBM. How did not notice that before?

EDIT: Maths D-, 31 dinners times 2.5 people times £1 is less then £80 pounds so it should work out ok and cheaper than what we spend. Puzzled now....
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • his_missus
    Options
    Hi all,

Re: potatoes - I often buy a 2.5kg bag and either parboil (for roasties, chips) or make into mash and freeze. I also find supermarket veg, especially potatoes, don't keep as well as ones bought from the market.

Could you buy veg as and when you needed? Do you pass by a greengrocers or market stall where you could just pick up what you needed as and when?
  • thriftylass
    Options
    his_missus wrote: »
    Hi all,

Re: potatoes - I often buy a 2.5kg bag and either parboil (for roasties, chips) or make into mash and freeze. I also find supermarket veg, especially potatoes, don't keep as well as ones bought from the market.

Could you buy veg as and when you needed? Do you pass by a greengrocers or market stall where you could just pick up what you needed as and when?

That'd be ideal but then you'd loose loads of SFDs ;)
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • lilian1977
    Options
    Good Morning!

What a start I have had... got the train to the tube station having gotten up 30 minutes late. Moggy woke me up at 0400 wanting back into the house and with an hour to go I was sure I'd get up... nope. Made the usual train but realised I forgot my staff pass and train ticket. Did I want to buy one for the day..nope. Trudged home, back on the train, into work and hey presto 1 hour late. No one cares though. #feelingthelove.

The same happened to me this morning, except it was DS waking me at 4.30am. Forgot my train pass and only realised at the station after dropping him off at nursery so had to go home then go to the next station along which is up a MASSIVE hill in order to get the next train! At least it means I've done a fair bit of walking today. I had wanted to take a coat that I bought DS back to Primark (too small) today but will have to wait till tomorrow now.

SFD - 6/18 (including today)
    Beauty spends - £0/£10
    Food bank - £3/£3 (to Trussell Trust via text)
    Packed lunches - 5/13 (on hols for a week)
    Holiday spends - £0/£100 (go week of 16th September)
    Fun spends - £60/£100
    Alcohol free days - 9/23 (including today)

Well last night's Turkey Tetrazzini was delicious, didn't buy anything in specially for it so didn't put any bacon or olives in and used pizza cheese instead of monterey jack! Also didn't put it in the oven, contemplated putting it under the grill but DS wanted to eat so we ate it as it was. Really tasty, and enough for me for lunch today too.

Been to Starbucks this morning for a free latte (same again tomorrow) and they had little cake samples out and also little bags of ground coffee to take away - well worth a trip!

Also had my 6 bottles of wine delivered (incentive for opening a Virgin Credit Card, offer now expired) - just in time for our holiday next week! Will cancel card asap.

Need to meal plan for holiday next week so that I know what food we need to take with us. Planning to eat breakfast and dinner in the chalet and just eat lunch out.

Hope everyone has good days xx
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £2827 | Natwest Credit Card: £3362.96
  • lilian1977
    Options
    Aldi Super Six this week (starts Thursday 12th September):

Broccoli
    Carrots 1kg
    Cherry tomatoes
    Standard onions 1kg
    Snack pack grapes
    Savoy cabbage

All priced at 49p
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £2827 | Natwest Credit Card: £3362.96
  • short_bird
    Options
    For me its the fresh produce that drive the cost up like fruit, milk and cold cuts.

If you Google "Frugal Queen", she bought a domestic meat slicer which could be handy with the yellow sticker joints. She wrote "My gammon joint cost £4.69 and after cooking I got 25 slices out of it which worked out to 18p a slice."

That might well work for some of you if you have the facilities to cook a larger joint and storage for the slicer...
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • Living_a_good_life
    Options
    Hello lovely people, back on the bandwagon. Had a good time with family when we were away - got home midnight saturday, shopped and labelled schoolwear most of Sunday and packed them off to school on Monday. DS had his first day at big school - he loved it!

Meanwhile boss is now on hols so running the "shop" until monday - will keep me out of trouble.

House wise it sounds like middle earth is probably going to be sold to someone else in the next 24 hours - gutted but cant do anything about it as we havent sold ours. We've tried and a lot can happen. Who knows but its looking unlikely :(

Anyway thats us - back at it - heading for Christmas and probably back to saving for car/thatch and anything else that rears its head!

Love to all, LAGL xxx
    Debt free on the 28/05/13
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Checking in, Good day so far re negiotiated broadband with Aol and they are sending me a free new router as well. Line rental, calls, broadband 16.90 next 12 mths 21.45 afte. Also swopped energy providers so saving of 58 a yr, 30 cashback and nectar points.

Sorry to hear about the house LAGL especially if you had your heart set on it.

Short bird I read Frugal Queens diary would love a meat slicer but how often would you use it and agree with you storage problem.

Loads of potatoes in reduced section in my local Morrisons today Kat.

Must try to work out much my meals do cost me something never really thought about.

Today a SFD 7 so far 7/26
    Petrol 0/50 need to get some tomorrow
    Alcohol free days 8//26 including today.
    Beauty 0/10 remaining ugly lol
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • karmachilovething
    Options
    Quick check in from me: SFD again today, although I probably need to buy petrol on the way home but that doesn't count.

Like Abundant, I'm finding Septemebr has brought me a real mind shift. I'm not having to remind myself not to spend like I used to. It's coming a lot more naturally. Maybe it's that new school year feeling - fresh start, fresh mind set.

KC
    Total debt: [STRIKE]£9473.62[/STRIKE] £7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food £43.45/£50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    :T Proud to be Dealing with my Debt :T
    DFD: June 2015
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    LAGL.... still 24 hours for things to go pear shapped for the new potential buyers... not wishing to condone bad karma on anyone but you just never know... fingers crossed!
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure