Small MIL rant

Options

Comments

• alias*alibi
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    Dogs are supposed to be a bit spoiled when they go to 'Grandma's house'. ;)

She's certainly returned more rotund :-)
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    More than likely, and I did reply a bit tongue in cheek lol. Believe me I know of some MIL horrors that would make your hair curl and would make yours seem like Mother Teressa lol.
    I just strive to be the best MIL I can be to my SIL, it goes without saying I am the best Mum and Grandma in the universe lol xxx
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Options
    I think your MIL is over opinionated and very tactless at times, but way off being narcissistic. I would suggest distancing yourself from her as much as possible. The less she has to do with your life and those in it, you reduce the opportunity for her to interfere and express unwanted opinions.

On the occasions when you do see her let whatever she says that you don't agree with wash over you and adjust how you react to it. With plenty of practice you can pretty much ignore annoying people completely and not let them bother you at all. My ex MIL enabled me to learn this skill to perfection, bless her ;):D
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am sympathetic but I'm with your MIL on the hair. Having long hair doesn't meet not getting it cut. It needs a regular trip for split ends etc. then it will be a lot more manageable.

I think the situation works both ways. My DD has a dog and the way she treats it infuriates me. It's fed all sorts of expensive stuff it doesn't need (like chicken) and allowed to sleep on their beds. There are throws on her sofas so the dog can sit/lie where it likes. I could go on....Occasionally I can't help but raise my eyebrows but I do try not to say anything. To be honest I don't need to as she knows what I'm thinking. She brought it here ONCE but never again as she hated the fact I wouldn't let it on the sofas and shut it in the conservatory when we were having dinner.

[STRIKE]Sadly[/STRIKE] we're all different....
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    Options
    ^ I'm with your daughter there, what's the point of having a dog if you're going to treat it like its a nuisance? People like their dogs, that's why they have them. ;)
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    ^ I'm with your daughter there, what's the point of having a dog if you're going to treat it like its a nuisance? People like their dogs, that's why they have them. ;)

Fine in your own home. But not in somebody else's.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    Options
    Fine in your own home. But not in somebody else's.

She seems to disapprove of (sorry, be 'infuriated' by) both!
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    My mother's mother marched me down to the hairdresser's and had all my long hair cut short when I was eight. Whilst it's not exactly the world's greatest trauma, I've never actually forgiven my mother for letting it happen.

Don't allow your MIL to bully you. Bring your child/ren up as you wish.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • Pearlstar
    Pearlstar Posts: 823 Forumite
    Options
    I have to say I cannot believe the fuss made about dogs diets now, I was in trouble for feeding my DILs dog leftovers, seems mad to me as its a lab and everyone knows they eat anything - literally!

Maybe you should look at the cost of kennels it may change your attitude a bit!
    “Steal five dollars and you were a petty thief. Steal thousands of dollars and you were either a government or a hero.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pearlstar wrote: »
    I have to say I cannot believe the fuss made about dogs diets now, I was in trouble for feeding my DILs dog leftovers, seems mad to me as its a lab and everyone knows they eat anything - literally!

Maybe you should look at the cost of kennels it may change your attitude a bit!

Because as we found out whilst dog sitting for a 2nd half a week, someone else had him for the first half of the week and feed him chicken, then WE had to deal with the really runny poos because they had gone against the dog owers wishs and it wasn't even our dog.

They do have reasons behind it, plus dogs need good training.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure