P.I.P. timescales...

Options

Comments

• kittykat17
    kittykat17 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here but after reading all the posts in this thread I thought I'd post my PIP / ATOS nightmare.

I applied for PIP in July 2013 and have still not had my face-to-face assessment with ATOS (I live in Newcastle-upon-Tyne).

In December 2013 I was telephoned by a man at the DWP who told me that I had missed my appointment. I explained that I had not received any notification and further explained that I do not always receive my mail as the letterbox is at the end of the path and I cannot always get out there. Also, one of my neighbours unfortunately suffers from Alzheimer's and frequently takes my mail. If his wife finds it she brings it to me but this does not always happen. The man from the DWP told me he would instruct ATOS to telephone me with my appointment and for me to telephone DWP in January.

I 'phoned in January, the man I originally spoke to was not available but the man I spoke to this time checked the computer system and confirmed that ATOS had been instructed to 'phone me. He said he would check that the correct instructions had been sent to ATOS and would call me back within 24 hours. He actually called me a couple of hours later and confirmed the instructions had been given to ATOS.

I still had not heard anything by March 2014 so I telephoned the DWP again. When checking the system I was told that I had missed another appointment with ATOS and he asked if they had 'phoned me as he had instructed. I told him that they had not. He then told me that he would send the relevant paperwork to ATOS and ask them to expedite an appointment for me. He also gave me ATOS' number and told me to 'phone them in two weeks time and to keep 'phoning them until they gave me an appointment.

I rang ATOS as instructed and was told that they do not telephone to inform claimants of appointments and that my file had been received back from the DWP but that it was being treated as a new claim and all the checks, etc, that had been done previously (twice) had to be carried out again! They had to write to my Consultant, Doctor, etc, again, before deciding if I needed a F2F. I explained that since I had previously been invited for a F2F that I would obviously need one and could they give me an idea of when this would be. They said they couldn't do anything until they had all the information in.

I have spoken to the DWP several times who have told me there is nothing they can do as my file is with ATOS. I telephone ATOS every week and they inform me that they are working on my file and will contact me with an appointment when they have completed all the paperwork.

I am, quite literally, getting desperate now. I need help with washing/showering, dressing and cooking but cannot afford to pay anyone to help me. I sleep in a chair most nights as I struggle to get out of bed on my own most days. I am also unable to walk even 20m (with stick) and need to sit frequently when trying to go anywhere or do anything.

I would like to be able to work part-time (call centre or any job where I can sit) but cannot even go for interviews unless I can get someone to help me wash and dress. I do not have any family or friends near-by that can help me which is why I would need to get outside help. I live with my 85 year old father who is unable to help.

Since my original application my symptoms have got worse and I have become very depressed. I really do not know what to do. I realise there is no guarantee that I will even be awarded either component of PIP but at least having the assessment would be a start.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear that. :( Have you and your father had an assessment from social services?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • alien9211
    alien9211 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone applied for PIP and had paper based review or decision without attending the face to face assessment?

I am not terminally ill or come under special rules. I applied for personal independence payment in Nov 2013. In last 6 months I made several telephones calls to DWP and ATOS to chase my application and every time I was told to wait until I get the appointment for face to face assessment. Couple of weeks ago I contacted my MP and asked for his help in this matter. He very kindly wrote to the ATOS Healthcare who told him that they have already considered my case and I won't be called for face to face assessment. They also told my MP that the claim is now with DWP decision manager. Upon contacting DWP I was told to wait another 8 weeks for final decision.

I have over 3 inches leg length discrepancy, osteoarthritis, diabetes and high blood pressure and walk with special boots with extreme difficulty. Along with my PIP application I sent couple of letters from my consultants and my repeat prescription which shows that I'm on 8 different types of life long medication.
    To be honest I was hoping to see the ATOS so they can actually look at my condition but now I am very concerned as why have they made a decision without seeing me.
    :money: Doubling of debt equals ’stabilising this financial problem’. This new definition is very handy. Blood pressure doubled in 12 months? Don’t bother treating it, it’s stable! Tumour size doubled? Don’t worry about that cancelled op, your tumour’s stable! Think of the savings that can be made!:money:
  • Sunshinesusie3
    Options

Since my original application my symptoms have got worse and I have become very depressed. I really do not know what to do. I realise there is no guarantee that I will even be awarded either component of PIP but at least having the assessment would be a start.

I had a similar situation - I applied 7 August, I was told in January (only after many telephone calls) that I was to have a home assessment only then to be told in March that DWP had withdrawn my claim. When it was sorted that DWP hadn't withdrawn my claim and it was returned to ATOS I was told that I was now being classed as a new claimant by them. I tried to get the DWP to explain to ATOS that I wasn't a new claim but to now avail. In desperation I emailed brian pepper at ATOS and my MP and within a few days I received an email from my MP's office that confirmed I was to have a home assessment, they gave me the date of the assessment. A day later I received an email from ATOS also confirming the home assessment date and confirming I wasn't being treated as a new claim. A few days later the standard ATOS assessment letter arrived.

I would highly recommend contacting your mp and Brian Pepper at ATOS. When I tried to sort things out I realised that the ATOS and DWP people you talk to are just call centre staff, they have no idea what's going on with your claim, they only read off a screen and the accuracy of what you're told seems to vary immensely each time you call.

I don't think it's fair that the claimant has to do so much to sort out the claim. Somebody at the DWP should surely take on the responsibility for sorting out badly managed claims rather than telling the claimant to do this.

I hope this helps. I know that since having my assessment my condition has become much easier to manage. I still need help getting bathed and dressed and I still couldn't cook a meal for myself etc etc but my depression has improved and that made coping with my physical symptoms easier and I'm sure it's because the stress of waiting for the assessment has gone, I know I've still a way to go but at least I know I'm a bit further down the road to having a decision made. I hope you can get a bit further down the road soon too.
  • kittykat17
    Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    I am very sorry to hear that. :( Have you and your father had an assessment from social services?

Hi Indie Kid, my father had an assessment in March and has been given 30 mins of care three times a week. I had a carer's assessment and got nothing! The SS told me that if and when I'm awarded PIP they should be able to offer me some help. Unfortunately, our council, Northumberland, don't have a big budget for social care and we're lucky to get any help for dad.

I'm willing to pay for help for myself but not on carers' allowance (£61 a week) as this is my only income at the moment.
  • reddeviljo
    reddeviljo Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Just wondered if any1 had a late esa payment when pip decision awarded i was due my payment monday but my bank always clears it saturday but its not in i rang bank to see if its pending but its not now im wondering if the pip award had effected my esa x
  • alien9211
    Options
    alien9211 wrote: »
    Has anyone applied for PIP and had paper based review or decision without attending the face to face assessment?

I am not terminally ill or come under special rules. I applied for personal independence payment in Nov 2013. In last 6 months I made several telephones calls to DWP and ATOS to chase my application and every time I was told to wait until I get the appointment for face to face assessment. Couple of weeks ago I contacted my MP and asked for his help in this matter. He very kindly wrote to the ATOS Healthcare who told him that they have already considered my case and I won't be called for face to face assessment. They also told my MP that the claim is now with DWP decision manager. Upon contacting DWP I was told to wait another 8 weeks for final decision.

I have over 3 inches leg length discrepancy, osteoarthritis, diabetes and high blood pressure and walk with special boots with extreme difficulty. Along with my PIP application I sent couple of letters from my consultants and my repeat prescription which shows that I'm on 8 different types of life long medication.
    To be honest I was hoping to see the ATOS so they can actually look at my condition but now I am very concerned as why have they made a decision without seeing me.

Can someone please tell if they had paper based decision and the outcome of it (if applicable). I'm really panicking and feeling that I should ring ATOS Healthcare tomorrow and ask them to do f2f assessment. None of my doctors received anything from ATOS apart from couple of letters from my consultants and recent repeat prescription I sent along with my claim form.
    Thanks for your help
    Alison
    :money: Doubling of debt equals ’stabilising this financial problem’. This new definition is very handy. Blood pressure doubled in 12 months? Don’t bother treating it, it’s stable! Tumour size doubled? Don’t worry about that cancelled op, your tumour’s stable! Think of the savings that can be made!:money:
  • kittykat17
    Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    alien9211 wrote: »
    Can someone please tell if they had paper based decision and the outcome of it (if applicable). I'm really panicking and feeling that I should ring ATOS Healthcare tomorrow and ask them to do f2f assessment. None of my doctors received anything from ATOS apart from couple of letters from my consultants and recent repeat prescription I sent along with my claim form.
    Thanks for your help
    Alison
    Hi Alison, there were a couple of other people that posted something similar to you but I'm not sure if any of them posted about the final decision. From the health issues you mentioned I would have thought that they have enough info to make a decision in your favour. However, since you're obviously very concerned about it I'd speak to someone at DWP (preferably a manager and not call centre) and ask their advise. I wouldn't insist on a f2f until you know for sure. Mind you, I spoke to someone called Simon at the DWP and he was a real help and advised me on what I should do. Good luck and fingers x'd. Su
  • alien9211
    Options
    kittykat17 wrote: »
    Hi Alison, there were a couple of other people that posted something similar to you but I'm not sure if any of them posted about the final decision. From the health issues you mentioned I would have thought that they have enough info to make a decision in your favour. However, since you're obviously very concerned about it I'd speak to someone at DWP (preferably a manager and not call centre) and ask their advise. I wouldn't insist on a f2f until you know for sure. Mind you, I spoke to someone called Simon at the DWP and he was a real help and advised me on what I should do. Good luck and fingers x'd. Su

Thanks Su that gives me lot of peace of mind. I'll ring DWP first thing tomorrow and follow your advice. Thanks ever so much again. Bless
    Alison
  • kittykat17
    Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    I had a similar situation - I applied 7 August, I was told in January (only after many telephone calls) that I was to have a home assessment only then to be told in March that DWP had withdrawn my claim. When it was sorted that DWP hadn't withdrawn my claim and it was returned to ATOS I was told that I was now being classed as a new claimant by them. I tried to get the DWP to explain to ATOS that I wasn't a new claim but to now avail. In desperation I emailed brian pepper at ATOS and my MP and within a few days I received an email from my MP's office that confirmed I was to have a home assessment, they gave me the date of the assessment. A day later I received an email from ATOS also confirming the home assessment date and confirming I wasn't being treated as a new claim. A few days later the standard ATOS assessment letter arrived.

I would highly recommend contacting your mp and Brian Pepper at ATOS. When I tried to sort things out I realised that the ATOS and DWP people you talk to are just call centre staff, they have no idea what's going on with your claim, they only read off a screen and the accuracy of what you're told seems to vary immensely each time you call.

I don't think it's fair that the claimant has to do so much to sort out the claim. Somebody at the DWP should surely take on the responsibility for sorting out badly managed claims rather than telling the claimant to do this.

I hope this helps. I know that since having my assessment my condition has become much easier to manage. I still need help getting bathed and dressed and I still couldn't cook a meal for myself etc etc but my depression has improved and that made coping with my physical symptoms easier and I'm sure it's because the stress of waiting for the assessment has gone, I know I've still a way to go but at least I know I'm a bit further down the road to having a decision made. I hope you can get a bit further down the road soon too.

What a nightmare Susie! The left hand definitely doesn't know what the right is doing and from what I can see doesn't care. It's tough enough for people to have to go thru this ATOS / CAPITA quagmire without giving out misinformation and telling people they're being treated as a new claim. I think this is their way of saying the backlog's not so bad the problem is all these new claims. They need to sort themselves out and take on more staff if necessary to get this whole situation sorted once and for all. Good luck to you and everyone else. Su
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure