Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Options

Comments

• Rosie48_2
    Rosie48_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 March 2018 at 11:50AM
    Options
    When I moved to Virgin it took me some time to realise the charges they were making every month for 'picture messages to the US' were in fact charges for texts over 150 characters. None of my previous providers has made this charge. Why is this not mentioned under Best SIM only deals. It is very difficult to read the character count on my phone (iphoneSE) anyway and has pushed my charges into my worst ever SIM only deal
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rosie48 wrote: »
    When I moved to Virgin it took me some time to realise the charges they were making every month for 'picture messages to the US' were in fact charges for texts over 150 characters. None of my previous providers has made this charge. Why is this not mentioned under Best SIM only deals. It is very difficult to read the character count on my phone (iphoneSE) anyway and has pushed my charges into my worst ever SIM only deal

I use Textra on Android (it's available on iOS too) which can show character count after the first two lines or auto split long SMS messages so they still go out as SMS and not MMS.

Don't know if iMessage can do similar but it's possible that an update as disabled it which is why you've not seen it before (this is pure guess work on my part).
  • paulhgc
    paulhgc Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just got sim only deal unlimited minutes unlimited texts and 40gb data on 4g network and unused data that also rolls over onto the next month for £18 with virgin mobile :money:
  • bmas
    bmas Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just renewed my Vodafone contract - 12 months contract, unlimited minutes, unlimited text messages, 8GB data for £14.40 per month with 2 months free. Effectively paying £144 over the 12 month period (£12 per month). I called before I got this, even got my PAC code.
  • Esaver_2
    Options
    Having reviewed on MSE web site I have gone for the TPO Sim only deal and found the service awful. They were supposed to port my number but so far I am into a third day without any access to it and no idea when the problem will be solved. Can only make out going calls on TPO number. Their phone lines are too busy to take calls and their online chat has been switched off. MSE web site says fewer problems with TPO recently. I dread to think what was it like before?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Esaver wrote: »
    Having reviewed on MSE web site I have gone for the TPO Sim only deal and found the service awful. They were supposed to port my number but so far I am into a third day without any access to it and no idea when the problem will be solved. Can only make out going calls on TPO number. Their phone lines are too busy to take calls and their online chat has been switched off. MSE web site says fewer problems with TPO recently. I dread to think what was it like before?

TPO always seems to have complaints, they appear to be even worse than Vodafone if you consider the disparity in subscriber base.
    ====
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    msrlh wrote: »
    I would just like to share that I have finally got round to dealing with Three Mobile. I have been a contract customer for 11 years. I was on £13/month for a couple of years which was probably too much but was fine for me at the time. Then about two years ago Three wrote and said something about bringing old plans in line with current plans. They put the plan up to £20/month. For no reason at all and getting no better deal.

As I was too busy at the time I never got round to calling them. Then I saw the MSE email about Virgin's SIM only plan for £8/month and jumped on it. Called Three this morning to get my PAC code, it took half an hour of them really doing the hard sell, telling me how much they loved me and then the person put me through to the Cancellations department who offered me a sightly better offer than Virgin for £7/month. I am over the moon. I really wish I had taken Three to task about this 2 years ago, because I think what they did to me and no doubt countless others was sneaky and really taking advantage of the fact that people are busy (or lazy!).

People should proritise things, they know when the contract ends so should get a cheaper deal with a month to go.
  • Tyler_Durden_UK
    Options
    I noticed today that the Plusnet 30 day rolling sim is back at Argos, £10pm with 1500 minutes, Unlimited texts, 4GB data. But you get a £20 Argos voucher, will do me for the next couple months until a better deal comes along. I might even call PN in a few months say I'm leaving and see if retentions can offer an improved deal.
  • dc_scotland
    dc_scotland Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I noticed today that the Plusnet 30 day rolling sim is back at Argos, £10pm with 1500 minutes, Unlimited texts, 4GB data. But you get a £20 Argos voucher, will do me for the next couple months until a better deal comes along. I might even call PN in a few months say I'm leaving and see if retentions can offer an improved deal.

There is also a Plusnet deal via uSwitch just now, 3.5gb data, 2000 minutes, unlimited texts, for £8.50.

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/sim_only_deal/cfb8458f51095a7ae510d423ef1871ec28e25749?comparison=cz1iZXN0c2VsbGVyJnA9L21vYmlsZXMvY29tcGFyZS9zaW1fb25seV9kZWFscy8mcG89Mw==

https://www.plus.net/mobile/deals/8-5/3-5GB/affiliate/mar18
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    iD had a 2.25Gb 5000 text and 250 minute SIM only monthly deal for £5 via uSwitch. However the deal's due to expire around now I think. There's a credit check, but the deal is capped and has data rollover. I'm very pleased with it. It's on the three network but the minutes may be to low for you.

If that's not available, SMARTY will do a 2Gb monthly SIM for £7.50 with unlimited texts and minutes (UK only). No credit check, so very easy to set up. You get £1.25 your next bill for any 1Gb you don't use.

Be very careful with ID MOBILE, OK until you want to call their help line (Then you will be pulling your hair out) Just look at the pathetic customer reviews :eek:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts