Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Options

Comments

• B_M
    B_M Posts: 714 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've just moved my broadband back to Sky and took advantage of their sim only deal. The one I took and will transfer my TalkTalk sim over:
    £5 per month - 12 month contract.
    1GB data
    Unlimited minutes
    Unlimited texts

Piggy-back on O2 and data rolls over, so I've been told.
    Not bad for £5 per month and far better than what I had with TalkTalk for £5.
    Allowed up to 5 sims per account.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company £550 in referral fees, win or lose.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's a sweet deal, I'm tempted myself.

Edit: (Plusnet) 2.5GB data, 3000 minutes, Unlimited texts, £7.00 per month

And if you need more data than that:-

https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only

4GB data, 2000 minutes, 2000 texts, £9.00 per month
  • gozzer
    gozzer Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just received a notification that my rent has increased by £19 per month, so quickly reviewed my mobile plan with TalkTalk now out of contract (£25 per month - 500 mins, 500mb data = poor legacy deal) and migrated to Virgins £9 deal with 1500 min and 5gb data.

Upshot is;
    Rent up £19 per month
    Mobile phone down £15 per month

Now need to find the missing £4!!

Love, love, love MSE
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi sorry for the delay in replying and thanks for the advice ,I’m new to this forum and couldn’t find my post,I changed my phone to a sim only deal with Virgin for £9 a month,I have unlimited texts 2,500 minutes and 4g of data,it was recommended by ML on this site so I went for that deal,I’m saving £11 a month so I’m 😃
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • redpippirowan
    Options
    Anyone have an opinion on 1p mobile? It is not mentioned on Martins blog for 'traditional' style Pay-as-you-go SIM only deals but it appears to beat O2, Three and Asda that are currently rated as the best deals. In particular for me it hugely beats the prices to call or text European countries. I am wondering if I am missing something in the terms and conditions or if Martin simply isn't aware of it or doesn't endorse it for some reason. Anyone know? Or does anybody use this tariff?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Anyone have an opinion on 1p mobile? It is not mentioned on Martins blog for 'traditional' style Pay-as-you-go SIM only deals but it appears to beat O2, Three and Asda that are currently rated as the best deals. In particular for me it hugely beats the prices to call or text European countries. I am wondering if I am missing something in the terms and conditions or if Martin simply isn't aware of it or doesn't endorse it for some reason. Anyone know? Or does anybody use this tariff?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5721906&highlight=1p+mobile

Edit: Worth reading through the following (only 2 pages) as well,

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5610644&highlight=1p+mobile
  • mcolqu
    mcolqu Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There has been a lot of effort put into coming up with the best SIM Only deals and thanks to all those who have contributed.
    Very little has been said about the international calling charges when in the UK which can be extortionate and even racking up 7 mins of international calls with some providers can double your entire bill for the month.
    I was looking at Martin's best SIM Only deals today and Plusnet (piggybacks off EE) are mentioned at £6 pm for 1.5Gb data, 2000 mins and unlimited texts. This deal expired on 13th Feb so the deal now is 2gb Data, 3000 mins and unlimited texts at £7pm, which is an even better deal.
    This includes "Roam like at home" when abroad in EU, 4G and a 30 day contract. Sounds great until we look at the international call charges when at home in the UK which are a minimum of £1 a min so if I make a miniscule 7 mins of international calls in the month, my bill doubles to £14pm.
    There is very little mentioned in any of the reports on SIM deals and I just wanted to highlight this to avoid any nasty surprises.
    I am currently with GiffGaff on a £7.50 SIM Only deal and the international call charges from the UK are excellent. GiffGaff piggybacks off O2.
    So my point today is be VERY careful when signing up for a SIM only deal if you make any international calls at all and be sure to get a good deal before deciding.
    Mike.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mcolqu wrote: »
    There has been a lot of effort put into coming up with the best SIM Only deals and thanks to all those who have contributed.
    Very little has been said about the international calling charges when in the UK which can be extortionate and even racking up 7 mins of international calls with some providers can double your entire bill for the month.
    I was looking at Martin's best SIM Only deals today and Plusnet (piggybacks off EE) are mentioned at £6 pm for 1.5Gb data, 2000 mins and unlimited texts. This deal expired on 13th Feb so the deal now is 2gb Data, 3000 mins and unlimited texts at £7pm, which is an even better deal.
    This includes "Roam like at home" when abroad in EU, 4G and a 30 day contract. Sounds great until we look at the international call charges when at home in the UK which are a minimum of £1 a min so if I make a miniscule 7 mins of international calls in the month, my bill doubles to £14pm.
    There is very little mentioned in any of the reports on SIM deals and I just wanted to highlight this to avoid any nasty surprises.
    I am currently with GiffGaff on a £7.50 SIM Only deal and the international call charges from the UK are excellent. GiffGaff piggybacks off O2.
    So my point today is be VERY careful when signing up for a SIM only deal if you make any international calls at all and be sure to get a good deal before deciding.

I could have sworn that MSE included an International calling section in the links at the top but if they did it's disappeared.

There is 3 useful comparision sites below if anyone is looking for options:-

https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/5-best-international-sim-only-deals/

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/cheapest-international-calls

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/international_sim_card/
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mcolqu wrote: »
    Sounds great until we look at the international call charges when at home in the UK which are a minimum of £1 a min so if I make a miniscule 7 mins of international calls in the month, my bill doubles to £14pm.

There are many alternatives for making international calls, making calls on a mobile at £1 a minute is just foolish.
    ====
  • overpricedcoffee
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    There are many alternatives for making international calls, making calls on a mobile at £1 a minute is just foolish.

With apps like whatsapp, messenger, skype which all allow voip it seems odd that anyone nowadays would pay for making international calls.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure