Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Options

Comments

• MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DelboyMk2 wrote: »
    I’m new at this, please excuse me if I get it all wrong. My wife and I changed to ID Sim only deal as it saved more than half what we were paying, but more importantly gave the ‘Take your package to the USA, use your phone as if you were still in the UK’ because we knew a holiday to the USA was coming up. In Memphis Tennessee now, can’t use our phones as it seems we get roaming charges, can’t contact ID because it would probably be to expensive to phone with waiting times, no live chat and no email address. Anyone got any suggestions??

Im sure it works great for you but please leave ID if you start to have problems, their non UK based helpline is run by "Cowboys" :eek:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5749828
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • Cookiepops
    Options
    Can anyone please help me as I have read through the guide and find it all so confusing. My contract with EE is up on 11 Jan. I am happy with my phone and want to keep it so I want to move to a SIM only deal. Im only a light user (1gb data allowance on current contract) so a couple of the latest deals Ive seen would be perfect for me. However, what i dont understand is if any of these deals is still on the EE network, does that mean i cannot apply for it? I don't think I need the PAC code if Im on the same network?

Thanks
    :heart2: Cookiepops :heart2:
  • TonksyRob
    Options
    I don't think I've seen this on here, but if you go via topcashback you can get £60 cash back on a 12 month sim only contract for £13 @12GB per month including go binge.

With the cashback it works out at £8 per month.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    IF they pay the cashback.
  • IAmHereHello
    Options
    Why would they not?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cookiepops wrote: »
    Can anyone please help me as I have read through the guide and find it all so confusing. My contract with EE is up on 11 Jan. I am happy with my phone and want to keep it so I want to move to a SIM only deal. Im only a light user (1gb data allowance on current contract) so a couple of the latest deals Ive seen would be perfect for me. However, what i dont understand is if any of these deals is still on the EE network, does that mean i cannot apply for it? I don't think I need the PAC code if Im on the same network?

Thanks

You need a PAC regardless if you want to keep your number. You of course need an unlocked phone if moving away from the EE network (anyone who doesn't use the EE masts). When you ask for your PAC they may offer a deal that matches whatever it is you're looking at.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why would they not?

Cash back doesn't always track for one reason or another, never rely on it.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cookiepops wrote: »

Thanks

The contract becomes a rolling agreement from 11 Jan until you terminate your account with EE via the use of a PAC (if you decide to transfer to a different network) or via moving to a sim only deal. As such you'll need to give 30 days notice to exit your current contract. You can move before the 30 days is up but they'll bill accordingly for the period if any remains.

Requesting a PAC qualifies as 30 days notice but if you request one and don't use it, the contract remains live and you have to start and pay for a new notice period.

You can't use a PAC to transfer within EE - you need to ask them to do this. If they won't give you an EE deal that you want, you could port your number out to a Pay as You Go with another provider (perhaps take a network piggybacking off of EE so that you can use the credit and don't waste the money) then start again with EE, porting back in. You'd need to ensure that the new EE deal doesn't exclude anyone who has had a live account with EE in the last x months though.
  • misty6
    misty6 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    Hi please can you help me. I've been reading up on getting a new mobile phone plus I've been and looked in the phone shops in the town. I don't really understand it all.

But I do think I need a sim only phone. I have decided to get an iPhone 8 and would like to buy one outright. My question is if I buy one from somewhere like argos or Tesco, which seem to be cheaper than the phone shops, how do I get the texts and minutes and data on it? Would I just be better off going to the vodaphone shop and getting them to sort it out? My current phone is a vodaphone payg htc chahcha that I've had for about 7 years and I've got the internet on it switched off as it uses up all my credit. I don't have any plans or anything so don't know how they work.

I would like to keep my existing number if possible too. Ideally I want to go and buy one tomorrow but I've now sat up til 3am and my brain is fried!!

I hope this makes sense to you. Thank you...
    Mortgage and debt free :)
  • Sparkiee
    Sparkiee Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    You would need to get a the SIM card separate to the phone. As long as the phone is unlocked which it should be you can go to any phone company and shop for the sim deal.

Normally they come together so shown as one price but in this instance you would have them seperate so can try and negotiate a better price.

If you go to any of the phone companies websites and look for sim only deals that is what you need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure