PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Any point? Are we just flushing money down the bog?

Options
For the last couple of months we have very sslllooowwwllyy been progressing in our house purchase. Communication between the solicitors in the chain has, quite frankly, left a lot to be desired. We only found out a few weeks ago that we both actually wanted the same thing ie. an early August completion date and now they have specified next Friday, the 9th of August.

However they are not even ready to exchange yet. We have done everything required, the solicitor has our 10% deposit, we have signed all the relevant papers. Apparently the vendor's solicitor is still waiting on one search result and the answers to some outstanding questions but they are still adamant that they are aiming for August 9th. We have already told them that if we cannot complete by August 9th we will not be available to complete again until September 16th.

Our solicitor is going away tomorrow, and today he sent us an email asking us if we are happy to instruct him to submit a report on title to the mortgage lender in order to receive the funds for completion in time. The downside, however, is that if we do not in fact manage to exchange and complete by August 9th we will be charged for having to send the fund back to the mortgage lender. The charge is just shy of £50. He also said that unless there is very rapid movement within the next few days the likelihood of completion on August 9th is...non-existent.

Is there any point??
First home purchased 09/08/2013
New job start date 24/03/2014
Life is slowly slotting into place :beer:

Comments

• daisygirlmac
    daisygirlmac Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know where in the chain is not ready to exchange or is it all of you? How big is the chain?
  • pops5588
    pops5588 Posts: 638 Forumite
    Options
    We are FTBs, buying a house from our Vendor, who is buying an empty house from a couple who moved to America. The last couple flew back from America specifically to sign all the documentation ready for exchange but it would appear that it is their solicitor being slow at getting back to the Vendor in the middle of the chain so they are currently not ready to exchange.
  • daisygirlmac
    daisygirlmac Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    I think I would get on to the estate agent you are buying off and ask them to get on the phone. Explain about not being able to complete until Sept if 9th August isn't met. They will want their commission in August rather than September so should really push for you. Also worth trying to find out what exactly are the outstanding documents and if your vendors are in contact with the next one's up the chain they could maybe get in touch and ask for things to be speeded along.

Replies to enquiries can be sent by email. Some solicitors think snail mail is an appropriate way to communicate and it can help to remind them there are other options. Get your solicitor to get on the phone and start pushing, also see if you can find out when the searches were ordered (they should take about 2 weeks). The more info you have, the better you can make sure it is directed to the right person.

Could your solicitor leave the request for funds with someone else if he is away? Is there a timescale for the transfer of funds from your lender?
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
  • pops5588
    Options
    Well I would have used the previous thread but it rather got hijacked by two people having an arjy-barjy...

We have contacted the Estae Agent, they claim to have no further information to give us and we will just have to sit and wait. Our solicitor is also abysmal at chasing anything. Will definitely try to find out exactly what it is they are waiting for.
    Solicitor told us it takes 5 days for the funds to process so needs a decision by the end up of the week as to whether to request them or not. Yet he won't confirm that our file is even being left with anyone in his absence.
  • caeler
    caeler Posts: 2,605 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pops5588 wrote: »
    We have already told them that if we cannot complete by August 9th we will not be available to complete again until September 16th.

I'd think the rest of the chain will be cursing you for that!!
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    you need to get your vendor to nag up chain, all doable if you work at it.

For $50 i would risk it too, although your later completion date might throw a spanner, if you can remove the barrier here do it
  • pops5588
    Options
    Unfortunately my boyfriend's next batch of chartered accountancy exams were always going to be some time in September, everyone was made aware of this. They are very important and this was never an issue because the vendor also wanted to complete in August. We were also very flexible in terms of we said we were prepared to wait for them to find the right property for them and wouldn't force them into rented accommodation, seeing as they were waiting for an offer on their house before they even began their house search.
  • pops5588
    Options
    hcb42 wrote: »
    you need to get your vendor to nag up chain, all doable if you work at it.

For $50 i would risk it too, although your later completion date might throw a spanner, if you can remove the barrier here do it

Thank you for your opinion on the question actually asked! :)
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    pops5588 wrote: »
    Thank you for your opinion on the question actually asked! :)

Just done it, amazing the differences in stories sometimes, unite with your vendor and push the sols. It can be done, our 3 person chain was being held up by one solicitor, and we were in a situation where we had to give notice on rental.

If you can overcome the exam thing though, I would do, you will feel tonnes better once you have exchanged, far less stressful! (and I am currently studying law and working FT AND 6 weeks into new job when we completed so I know!!!!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure