Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 August 2014 at 5:57PM
    Options
    sun_seeker wrote: »
    just back from a holiday in Mexico, I was meant to be in England Thursday at 7.55am, but had a 39 hour delay, got back on Friday night at 11pm,was no water or food vouchers as all food shops were shut, no air con, suffered with to young children and got a Bootle of water after 3 hours of sitting in departure lounge. what the max you can claim for that amount of time?

EU compensation is a set amount - would be €600 for your distance assuming the reason for delay qualifies and you were on an EU airline
    If there were no food shops open I guess refreshment vouchers would have been of little use but if you had bought you would send in your receipts for reimbursement
    I assume you were put up in a hotel overnight (I don't imagine that you waiting in the airport the whole time with closed shops) and should have received food whilst there - if not send in your receipts
  • natsplatnat
    natsplatnat Posts: 3,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by romanby1 viewpost.gif
    Write a NBA letter stating you will be making a claim in the small claims court if they do not give you a satisfacory reason for the cause of the delay and then decide if you want to proceed.

Hi All, just getting back to starting my claim from last June.

The reply above was given in response to my question about how I make the tour operator tell me why the flights were delayed.

Would anyone be kind enough to point me in the direction of a NBA letter template (if it exists)?

Anyone?
    Many thanks, Nats
    start = Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225
    end = Mon 28th Sept 2015 DEBT FREE!
    I love a good plan - it may not work.... but I love a good plan!
  • dxc_chappie
    dxc_chappie Posts: 175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Would anyone be kind enough to point me in the direction of a NBA letter template (if it exists)?

Have a look in the FAQs linked from the sticky thread at the top of this forum.
  • rms1
    rms1 Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    We had a 3 day nightmare with British Airways when we flew back to Heathrow from Denver in June.

The nightmare would take too long to explain but in a nutshell our flight was cancelled twice which resulted in us staying for an extra 2 nights. During this time, we were treated appallingly.

I have emailed BA several times and have got nowhere and to try and call them is impossible. Whichever number you dial, you get the same message that they are experiencing a high number of call etc.etc. You don't even get the option to hold, it just cuts off.

I am wondering if anyone knows how on earth we can get through to talk to someone at BA

Thanks
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sometimes the best option is the old fashioned letter, especially if you address it to a named senior individual. Another good way is to find out the name of the MD or some other senior official and if you ever do get through on the phone is to ask to speak to Mr X's secretary (not Mr X). That way you are more likely to get through and because the secretary works with Mr X it can bring results.
    No guarantees though!
  • dxc_chappie
    Options
    rms1 wrote: »
    I am wondering if anyone knows how on earth we can get through to talk to someone at BA

If you read the faqs linked from the sticky at the start of this forum you will find contact details.
  • natsplatnat
    natsplatnat Posts: 3,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 8 August 2014 at 11:10AM
    Options
    Have a look in the FAQs linked from the sticky thread at the top of this forum.

I am very sorry (must be having a bit of a blind day) but I can't see a NBA template (to send to an agent to get them to give me info about WHO was supposed to be providing my flight) anywhere!!!
    start = Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225
    end = Mon 28th Sept 2015 DEBT FREE!
    I love a good plan - it may not work.... but I love a good plan!
  • lauraej
    Options
    Hope someone can help - we were delayed with BA for approx 4 hours on our way to Florida in June this year. We were told that our original plane had a fault they were trying to fix, then the replacement plane also had some kind of fault which was why the delay was so long. I used a MSE template to complain and hopefully get money back however got this respose:

"Your claim for compensation has been refused because flight BA2039 on 06 June 2014 was delayed due to an unexpected flight safety shortcoming, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, British Airways is not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

This was a technical delay due to high oil consuption of engine leading to the aircraft change. As the aircraft had been maintained in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines, this constitutes as an extraordinary circumstance and could not have been avoided.

Unfortunately airline operations are subject to circumstances outside the airline's control. British Airways takes all reasonable measures to avoid delaying a flight in such circumstances. Consideration is given to whether there are any operational options available before a decision to delay is made. We are sorry that the delay was necessary in this case."

Should I fight this or just leave it as I don't understand whether the fault makes money claimable

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lauraej wrote: »
    This was a technical delay due to high oil consuption of engine leading to the aircraft change. As the aircraft had been maintained in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines, this constitutes as an extraordinary circumstance and could not have been avoided.

Should I fight this or just leave it as I don't understand whether the fault makes money claimable

You have a valid claim and indeed BA owe you compensation. You have three choices 1) walk away 2) submit court claim or 3) use a no win no fee firm.
  • lauraej
    Options
    Thanks so much for your response 111KAB, I will definitely consider submitting a court claim!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback