🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• 2022jt
    Options
    Hello All

This is my first time posting so apologies if I am posting in the wrong place etc - please just let me know.

I am looking for some advice on flight compensation claims. I need to get my claim in quickly as in 2 months it will be 6 years since we travelled and I am aware of the statute of limitations.

On 21 October 2007 myself and 2 other people were due to return from Brussels to Manchester on a Brussels airline flight. They cancelled the flight when we arrived at the airport and told us at the time that this was due to underbooking and the flight not being full enough. They then transferred us to a Brussels airline flight to Birmingham Airport and when we arrived in Birmingham then we were transferred back to Manchester in a mini bus. We arrived at Manchester more than 3 hours after our original time of arrival. My questions are as follows:

1. Can I claim for flight compensation pursuant to the EU ruling 2004 given we were offered an alternative flight (albeit to a different airport and we arrived more than 3 hours after we were originally due to in Manchester) ? If so, do I claim for a delayed or cancelled flight?

2. How can I find out the details of the flight we were re-routed on to Birmingham? I have tried flightstats.co.uk and I don't know if I am being ridiculously stupid but I just can't seem to locate historic flight data?

3. where can I find the template letters that are said to be on the Martin Lewis MSE site? I have trawled through and just can't locate the actual templates themselves.

Any help would be very gratefully received. I have only recently learned of this but had just been made redundant and have a baby due in 1 month so if I could claim for this it would be a big help to me and my husband.

Many thanks

J
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,563 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    2022jt wrote: »
    1. Can I claim for flight compensation pursuant to the EU ruling 2004 given we were offered an alternative flight (albeit to a different airport and we arrived more than 3 hours after we were originally due to in Manchester) ? If so, do I claim for a delayed or cancelled flight?

2. How can I find out the details of the flight we were re-routed on to Birmingham? I have tried flightstats.co.uk and I don't know if I am being ridiculously stupid but I just can't seem to locate historic flight data?

3. where can I find the template letters that are said to be on the Martin Lewis MSE site? I have trawled through and just can't locate the actual templates themselves.

1) you will be claiming for a cancelled flight
    2) have you registered for flightstats? I am guessing you put on SN2047 departing 7.50pm
    3) First post here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4421185
  • apdyd
    apdyd Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 23 August 2013 at 3:35PM
    Options
    [

Re: MON328 Sanford to Gatwick 20th July 2013

Further to your claim for delay compensation, we are writing to advise the outcome of our investigation into your case.

Monarch Airlines aims as its first priority to provide its passengers with a safe and efficient service. We are sorry for the delay you experienced that has led to your claim for compensation. We would like to reassure you that every reasonable effort is made to ensure that our flights depart on time and in the unlikely event we are unable to do so through disruption, we aim to provide a solution at the earliest opportunity.

As previously advised, in some circumstances passengers may be entitled to compensation for delay arising from such disruption under European Union laws. However, any monetary payments are subject to certain criteria being satisfied. Under these laws where the disruption is caused by an ‘extraordinary circumstance’ which the airline was reasonably unable to prevent, the carrier is not obliged to pay compensation. The European Commission have published guidelines regarding what can and cannot be considered as extraordinary circumstances and we base our decision on these guidelines.

Our records show that the aircraft scheduled to operate your flight did depart Sanford as planned however during turbulence the engine stalled. For your reference an engine stall can cause the engine itself to become damaged which carries serious safety implications therefore the Captain made the decision to return to Sanford to allow engineering support to conduct to a visual inspection to ensure no damage had been sustained. The operating crew reported that the aircraft was functioning correctly on return to Sanford and after the necessary inspection was undertaken the aircraft was declared safe to operate. Unfortunately at this stage it became evident the operating crew would exceeded their legal permitted flying hours if they operated the flight and therefore it was necessary for them to complete minimum rest which contributed to the unavoidable delay you suffered.

Having considered the factual background of this case in accordance with the published guidelines, we are satisfied that the disruption was caused by an extraordinary circumstance that could not have reasonably been prevented by Monarch Airlines. We are, therefore, unable to accept your claim for compensation for the reasons given.

All flight delays are fully documented in accordance with the requirements of our regulator and the relevant legislation in place. Please note that this documentation cannot be disclosed to passengers nonetheless we actively supply this to the Civil Aviation Authority and National Enforcement Bodies upon request.

Please note that the contents of this letter and the circumstances surrounding your delay are strictly confidential.

Yours sincerely,

what can I do now.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    apdyd - grateful if after reading through Monarch thread (particularly page one) if you could post any questions on that dedicated thread. If you want to criticise the airline you may wish to try .... https://www.facebook.com/MonarchComplaints
    Thank you
  • horrible
    horrible Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Flight delayed over 11 hours, provided with overnight accommodation and meals. Just received reply to template letter requesting compensation and BA have confirmed that I will be sent a cheque for £1027 (€1200--2x€600).
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    steyu wrote: »
    My flight provider Iceland Express/Astraeus went into administration and although I paid for tickets with Mastercard they have stated they are not responsible under Section 75 claims.Anybody else had similar issues and what can be done please?

Did they give a reason?

From Which magazine website:

If your credit card company doesn't accept that you have a claim and refuses to pay up, ask for a letter of deadlock so that you can refer your dispute to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
  • 2022jt
    Options
    2022jt wrote: »
    Hello All

This is my first time posting so apologies if I am posting in the wrong place etc - please just let me know.

I am looking for some advice on flight compensation claims. I need to get my claim in quickly as in 2 months it will be 6 years since we travelled and I am aware of the statute of limitations.

On 21 October 2007 myself and 2 other people were due to return from Brussels to Manchester on a Brussels airline flight. They cancelled the flight when we arrived at the airport and told us at the time that this was due to underbooking and the flight not being full enough. They then transferred us to a Brussels airline flight to Birmingham Airport and when we arrived in Birmingham then we were transferred back to Manchester in a mini bus. We arrived at Manchester more than 3 hours after our original time of arrival. My questions are as follows:

Any help would be very gratefully received. I have only recently learned of this but had just been made redundant and have a baby due in 1 month so if I could claim for this it would be a big help to me and my husband.

Many thanks

J

Caz - many thanks for your response. I am registered with flightstats but when I get into the programme I can't find where I include the information to find out about historic flights. I would be very grateful if you (or anyone else) could point me in the right direction.

Also - can anyone please advise which court I need to issue the claim in given I flew from Brussels to UK and that Brussels Airlines registered head office is in Brussels?

Many thanks for your advice and help.

J
  • Monxton_Hatter
    Options
    Last year I was on a flight which was 24 hrs late. Thomson has said no payment due to exceptional circumstances. I have written to CAA and they say they're 'looking into it' - that was 3 months ago. I will now take this to court. Before I do however, I'd like some advice. I am aware of another passenger who was on this flight. They took it to court and before the court date Thomson agreed to pay out. Is there anything I can do to use this to enforce Thomson to settle (other than simply writing to advise I'm aware that they've paid another passenger)? I'd like to avoid going through the courts if possible.
  • dblue75
    dblue75 Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    I was stuck in Cancun for nearly 2 days.....I don't have a Thomas Cook Ref..or boarding passes....etc...that I can find...But have found the flight via flight tracker....Can I put a claim in ? it was only 3 years ago.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dblue75 wrote: »
    I was stuck in Cancun for nearly 2 days.....I don't have a Thomas Cook Ref..or boarding passes....etc...that I can find...But have found the flight via flight tracker....Can I put a claim in ? it was only 3 years ago.

Yes but please post any more queries on the TC thread. If you have found on flightstats this should provide flight number and as you have delay period and date you have adequate information to claim. Good luck.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure