Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• blondmark
    blondmark Posts: 456 Forumite
    Options
    woodcr wrote: »
    l was delayed 14 hours in dec 2010 on a thomson flight and wrote to claim but have been told there is a two year time frame and l am outside this what do ldo now does anyone know.dave

Sure ... you check out the Thomson forum.
  • Bradders20
    Bradders20 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Would I be right in thinking that I can only go down the MCOL route if the airline has a UK address? As it's Wizz Air I don't think they do. Does that mean I need to go down the European court route?
  • Bradders20
    Bradders20 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    And has anyone on here ever claimed against Wizz Air successfully?
  • claireser
    Options
    Hi, we were on a Virgin flight from Manchester to Las Vegas in April 2012 that was delayed for ten hours.

The delay was not informed until after all passengers had arrived at the airport.

The virgin cabin crew informed us that the orlando flight had been grounded mid-flight as a bird had struck the plane which caused techinical fault and the plane needed a new nose-cone which they decided they would have to repair. i believe they then swopped the Vegas aircraft to accommodate the Orlando flight (which went out on time the same day we were due to fly) due to the amount of families on the flight. The cabin crew also informed us that the Vegas flight, then had no cabin crew as the original crew had been drafted in for the Orlando flight as the original Orlando crew had run out of flying hours due to the delay after landing mid-way and they told us they had asked for Volunteer cabincrew to man our Vegas flight and had no-one volunteered the flight would have been grounded. (the staff werent getting paid but got a mini-break in vegas from Thursday to Sunday all expenses paid and they could take a guest with them.

Virgin have claimed "we are not entitled to compensation due to extraordinary circumstances which were beyond their control. they say the flight was delayed due to adverse weather conditiond which cuased the aircraft to divert on a previous sector. The delay was then further compounded by damage substained due to a bird strike on the aircraft" They say their engineers needed additional time to investigate the problems and rectify faults prior to departure"

The cabincrew informed us that Virgin were aware of this over 24 hours prior to departure so that is enough time in my opinion to draft in a replacement aircraft to satisy both Orlando and Vegas flights!!

Please advise as i am unsure as to how respond to their letter.

Many thanks for your help
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please repost on Virgin thread, not here.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • alltrux
    alltrux Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    We are trying to get compensation for Delayed flights from Lufthansa, one from Frankfurt to Kiev,
    and the other from Frankfurt to Sofia, on different dates. After sending them two separate clains regarding these delays, we received two replies from them with these explanations:

The flight from Frankfurt to Kiev was delayed ( by 11 hours) due to the night flights curfew over Frankfurt Airport
    ( although the flight departure time was 22.05 hrs, way before the 23.00 hrs curfew start).

The flight from Frankfurt to Sofia ( delay about 7 hours) was a connecting one , original point of departure was Aberdeen to Frankfurt, with a changeover time of about 1 hour, Due to the fuel tanker being late at Aberdeen, this resulted in delay of about 15 mins, which meant that when we arrived to Frankfurt to get onto the other flight to Sofia, the flight was "closed" ( they didn't let us to board it, and we were then re-routed via Munich arriving late to Sofia).

In response to Lufthansa explanations, we wrote another 2 letters, deal with each claim separately, pointing out to them that:

Frankfurt to Kiev:
    1) we were not given a proper explanation about the delay apparently caused by 23.00hrs curfew at Frankfurt, since the departure time was 22.05 hrs
    2)The flight should have left in plenty of time before the 11pm curfew
    3) there were no circumstances outside of airlines control applicable in this case, such as Bad Weather, Industrial action, etc, since all the other flights were being able to depart and land

Frankfurt to Sofia:

1)The flight departure would not have been delayed if there was a procedure to counter such a situation,
    2) If there was such a procedure, this occurrence clearly demonstrates that that procedure wasn’t sufficient.
    3)The failure by a contractor or a supplier to deliver their service as agreed is not an “extraordinary circumstance”.
    4)The airline must allow sufficient time for the passenger to transfer between the connecting flights when selling tickets, even if there was a minor delay at the beginning of the journey.
    5) There are no other applicable reasons which are “outside of airlines hands”

It has been exactly 1 month, and we still haven't heard from them.

What are our options?

1- Starting a small court claim -£80 is a lot for us, but we are willing to invest it into getting the compensation. However, if we lose, would we need to pay THEIR court fees ( which probably would be thousands of £)?

2- Pursue them via CAA- this route seems to offer mixed results, and would take months

3- Use the UK European Consumer Centre option ( of which we were not even aware until today - we only found out about it thanks to this forum)

Any suggestions please as to which option, if any , would most likely produce a successful outcome?
  • Crizzle
    Options
    Has anyone had any payment from easyjet? I had a letter from them agreeing with my complaint and offering the money, and stating that they would send a consent letter to me (for the other passengers) to complete. I have heard nothing further and chased them twice...

Thanks
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Crizzle wrote: »
    Has anyone had any payment from easyjet? I had a letter from them agreeing with my complaint and offering the money, and stating that they would send a consent letter to me (for the other passengers) to complete. I have heard nothing further and chased them twice...

Thanks

there is a whole thread for Easyjet compensation - might be better reposting there
  • harishvk
    harishvk Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    harishvk wrote: »
    I am taking US airways to court, any advice please ?

Back ground :

I had over 5 hours delay with US airways in 2009.

after 3 emails , in 6 weeks.
    offered 3 X 800 dollars = 2400 dollars which is now 1500 £
    But I will have to travel with them for this.

I asked for money, but they refused

Latest email from US airways

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxx:

Thank you for your most recent correspondence to US Airways regarding your claim for compensation based on European Regulation 261/2004.

We regret that you feel we have not been accommodating in our handling of your claim for compensation under EU regulations. I can assure you that your concerns have been given every consideration. We understand that travel to the United States may not be in your immediate future and I regret that the option to transfer the vouchers to other users was found to be less than satisfactory. Please note that a trip only needs to be booked within one year from the issue date. Travel may commence after that date.

After careful review, our final determination is that we are unable to change our previous resolution. While this is not the response you had anticipated, the vouchers previously issued were offered as a token of our apology. It is our hope that you will accept and use them in the spirit of goodwill with which they were intended.

I have added your most recent comments to your case, including your feedback regarding our selection of in-flight entertainment during your travels in 2009. Please know that your feedback is important and has been forwarded to appropriate areas as a tool for reviewing where and how we can make improvements that will benefit everyone.

xxxxxxxx, thank you for allowing us to clarify our position. We regret that we have been unable to reach a mutually satisfactory conclusion to this matter.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxx
    Representative, Customer Relations
    US Airways Corporate Office

The one before

Dear xxxxx:

Thank you for your recent correspondences to Customer Relations at US Airways. We appreciate another opportunity to address your concerns.

We would again express our regrets for any difficulties or frustration you encountered while traveling with us on May 23, 2009 from London, Heathrow on US flight US729. We understand any irregularity has an impact on our passengers travel plans and, while safety is always our primary consideration, we work hard to minimize such situations. We are sorry this was not your experience.

US Airways is aware of all court rulings pertaining to the European Regulations. After assessing the circumstances, our records indicate this was an unexpected situation. The aircraft had undergone all required maintenance and we took all measures appropriate to the situation that were technically and economically viable at the time; therefore no compensation under the EU Regulation No. 261/2004 is due.

To reiterate my apology and as an invitation to try US again, I have issued three $800.00 Electronic Travel With Us Vouchers (E-TUV). As an additional courtesy, these vouchers have been issued in a transferable form so any person of your choosing may apply them to travel.

Your E-TUV is valid toward the purchase of travel on US Airways. Please be advised the E-TUV is not valid with Internet bookings and must be redeemed within one year from the date of this correspondence. In addition, please take a moment to read the terms and conditions listed below to receive the full benefit of this compensation. When you are ready to make your future travel arrangements, please call our Reservations Department at 800-428-4322 or in the United Kingdom at 0845-600-3300 and provide the E-TUV codes listed below. The customary ticketing fee will not be assessed at the time of booking with our Reservations Department.

xxxxxxxx, feedback such as yours affords us the opportunity to learn where and how we can improve our service not only to meet our customers’ expectations, but to exceed those expectations. Given the privilege of serving you again on US Airways, we look forward to providing you with a more satisfying travel experience.

Sincerely,
    Update Lodged an online money claim against US airways ( 2009 delay Re: previous posts ) ; they have changed their address to US office; they want to defend part of the claim. Claim allocated to my hometown court. Keeping fingers crossed and wait for their next move.

The new EU rules, will they have any effect on the case ?
  • Divefrosty
    Options
    The other week I was delayed in Madrid after being informed on the Weds that my Friday BA flight was being cancelled due the Iberia issues.
    My company extended my hotel and rebooked me on a flight for the Saturday morning.....all okay'ish so far.
    On Saturday morning I checked in only to find out that the outbound flight from the UK had been turned around due to a technical issue, so they didn't know when it would arrive but I was booked on it anyway.
    Some of my colleagues were moved to another flight (lucky them it turned out)
    I ended up waiting 6 hours before the flight arrived and we were boarded.
    Then it turned out they had had a heavy landing and we had to wait for the engineers to check things over although they didn't tell us that was the real reason. (I know a pilot)
    We sat on the plane for 5 hours before we took off!!

BA have said sorry and given me 10,000 Avios points for a near 12 hour delay (they don't care about the flight cancellation) and I've said that's not enough but they are sticking firm.

I even pointed out that colleagues who were only 4 hours delayed got 10k points so how can that be a fair scale.

Two questions:
    1. Can I also claim for cash based on the EU rule even though I have the Points?
    2. Should I be offered more in the way of points in anyones experience?

thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure