We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• mumtaz
    mumtaz Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    saralou78 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm just in the process of trying to claim for a delayed flight from Lisbon to Gatwick back in 2011, the flight was delayed for 4hrs (confirmed via flightstats) and as a result of this we then missed our connecting flight back to Jersey in the Channel Islands, we weren't provided any help to rebook our flights as we'd not booked all the way through, therefore had to buy new flights and pay for a night in a hotel, can we also claim for this?

Aside from this, we can't for love nor money find our original booking reference, does this totally scupper our chances of claiming?

Thanks
    It scuppered my claim with Jet2 for a 4 hour delay back in 2006. I had booking references for other flights both before and after this one but couldn't find the ref for this - and they turned me down on that basis, despite having all other details. Hey ho.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    saralou78 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm just in the process of trying to claim for a delayed flight from Lisbon to Gatwick back in 2011, the flight was delayed for 4hrs (confirmed via flightstats) and as a result of this we then missed our connecting flight back to Jersey in the Channel Islands, we weren't provided any help to rebook our flights as we'd not booked all the way through, therefore had to buy new flights and pay for a night in a hotel, can we also claim for this?

Aside from this, we can't for love nor money find our original booking reference, does this totally scupper our chances of claiming?

Thanks

This is a risk you take with buying separate tickets, the contract with the airline ended when it got you to Gatwick and then you have a different contract for the other flight. They are not concerned or liable for where you go once you get to the arrival airport unless you are on a through-ticket.
    Did you try your travel insurance for the hotel/alternate flights costs?
  • mumtaz
    mumtaz Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I'm trying to confirm the delay length of a flight Amsterdam to Moscow 25 Dec 2010 KL0907. Flightstats says: "Airport delay information is currently only collected for airports within the United States and some airports within Canada."
    Am I looking in the wrong place?
    Scheduled departure was 20:30, actual after midnight. Wrote to KLM 3 months ago, no response.

KL 907 Flight Status

KL.gif (KL) KLM 907

(AMS) Amsterdam, NL to (SVO) Moscow, RU
    Cancelled
    Last change to status more than 3 hours ago

DEPARTURE ARRIVAL Scheduled Departure: Scheduled Arrival: 20:30 - Sat 25-Dec-2010 02:00 - Sun 26-Dec-2010
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mumtaz wrote: »
    It scuppered my claim with Jet2 for a 4 hour delay back in 2006. I had booking references for other flights both before and after this one but couldn't find the ref for this - and they turned me down on that basis, despite having all other details. Hey ho.
    They may well have turned you down even if you had the details as they know you are out of time to progress any court action
  • bear23
    bear23 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I was delayed by 24 hours on a flight to Lima from Heathrow due to co-pilot illness, this was with Continental in 2011, where would i send the letter for compensation? We complained at the time and heard nothing back, lost our luggage, was given $12 for food and a run down motel room for the days delay!
  • LBD
    LBD Posts: 261 Forumite
    Options
    Baxter1964 wrote: »
    Has anyone claimed for the cancelled flight from Manchester on 24/05/2008 Thomas Cook flight to faro flight number TCX154. We were delayed for 23 hours and no one from the airport was giving us information. We were a party of 23 and had to keep on the airport floor as Ricky Hatton was fighting in Manchester and ll hotels were full. Thomas Cook were disgraceful but I see from flight checker that the state of the flight is noted as cancelled. What are our chances of getting full refunds and compo for all ? We have no paper work but booked through our local Thomas Cook shop which is still here.

how did you pay?? check you debit and credit card statement for the transaction, that is some proof. you cloud also try the local shop where you booked they might still ahve something or be able to access the system and print you off somthing... not likely but worth a shot...:beer:
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

If you have evidence that you was in the destination location, with something like mobile phone records, credit card purchases, passport stamps, etc, then I think I'd be tempted to start a court claim and shift the onus on to them to prove that you wasn't on the flight.
    They have the flight manifest after all.

But i've just spotted it was 2006 so you're out of time now, doh!
  • Sillychuckie
    Options
    Just had my claim rejected.
    Airline: Monarch
    Delay: 8 hours

Reasons:
    "Our records show that the airroft scheduled to operate your flight was found to have damage on the lower back corner of the forward cargo door. This was structural damage which was declared beyond operational limits and therefore rendered your aircraft unsafe to fly."

They eventually found another plane, so we got away 8 hours later.
    They write:

"I am satisfied that this was indeed an extraordinary circumstance that could not have been reasonably prevented by Monarch. I am unable to agree your claim for compensation".

SC
  • gropinginthedark
    Options
    KL 907 Flight Status

KL.gif (KL) KLM 907

(AMS) Amsterdam, NL to (SVO) Moscow, RU
    Cancelled
    Last change to status more than 3 hours ago

DEPARTURE ARRIVAL Scheduled Departure: Scheduled Arrival: 20:30 - Sat 25-Dec-2010 02:00 - Sun 26-Dec-2010
    OK found it, thanks. We were moved to an Aeroflot flight with scheduled arrival at 4:50 making us 2:50 late except that flight was delayed too but status on flightstats is "[FONT=&quot]unknown".[/FONT]
  • Sarkysandy
    Options
    Anyone claimed for the 24 hr delay back in April last year on Thompson Airline? I can't find the flight details and was wondering if anyone know it or a wy to find it?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure