🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• delvey
    delvey Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    g.m wrote: »
    Thank you for this, do you agree that I should state my intention to claim comp/refund in the same letter as asking for the explanaition, or anticipate a response then reply with a letter for compensation?

I would advise them that was the ECJ has made its judgement that, depending on the outcome, your going to claim compensation.
    There is no point in trying to claim it now.
    Or you can just ask for the explanations
  • Conel
    Conel Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I have read through the latter parts of this thread but am still a little confused.

I was booked on a flight to Berlin with Easy Jet which was delayed by 5 hours (due to land at 20.30 but landed 1.30). We were given £6 each to spend at Gatwick but when I asked to use a phone to inform our hotel that we would be arriving after midnight (which is when they release our room) I was told I had to use a payphone!

Ground staff told us the delay was due to a technical fault as did the captain when we boarded the plane.

I arrive home from my holiday and Easy Jet have e-mailed me to inform me that the flight was delayed due "poor weather conditions affecting the schedule of the aircraft planned to operate your flight".

So can I claim now that they have blamed it on the weather? (which I don't believe for a second) How would I format this in a letter?

Thanks in advance.
  • KrisB
    KrisB Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Our flight from Gatwick to Faro on 10th June 2012 was delayed by nearly 17 hours due to a 'technical problem with the operating aircraft' (Monarch helpfully sent me an email with this information which I will certainly retain). I believe I have a good claim for EUR800 (two of us at EUR400 each), depending on the outcome of the Sturgeon case of course, as this flight is just over 1500km.

I would like some advice before sending a letter notifying them of my intention to claim. I have been unable to find the answers to these when searching this forum but apologies if they have already been answered;

1) Is a claim via my travel insurance provider (Nationwide) likely to affect my rights to compensation from the airline? Nationwide's cover states that they will reimburse £250 (minus £50 excess) for flights delayed over 3 hours. If I accept this money am I still entitled to pursue compensation from the airline under the EU regulations and is it likely to affect the success of this? EUR800 is more than £400 after all (ideally I would like both of course!).

2) I see an example letter several pages back on this thread addressed to Mr Geoffrey Atkinson at Monarch. I understand he is the group lawyer for the airline. Should I address my first letter notifying them of my intent to claim to him or to Monarch's customer services in the first instance (and then to him if they reject my claim)?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
  • delvey
    Options
    If you can give us the date and flight number the others may be able to comment about the conditions on the date in question.

I also suggest that you write to EZ to enquire as to the exact reason for the delay to your flight. You could state to EZ that you need this information in writing so that your insurer can assess if there is to be any payment under your travel insurance policy. The real reason is to assess whether what EZ states actually stacks up or whether it is just a fob off excuse, it may also be useful information if you decide to proceed to claim flight delay compensation once the challenge to the Sturgeon judgement has been ruled on sometime during this Autumn.

I would also let them know of there unhelpful staff at the airport, and possibly state the part of 261/2004 which says you are entitled to the phone calls.
    Having dealt with Easyjet on a few occasions, there customer service is the better of some airlines
  • delvey
    Options
    KrisB wrote: »
    Our flight from Gatwick to Faro on 10th June 2012 was delayed by nearly 17 hours due to a 'technical problem with the operating aircraft' (Monarch helpfully sent me an email with this information which I will certainly retain). I believe I have a good claim for EUR800 (two of us at EUR400 each), depending on the outcome of the Sturgeon case of course, as this flight is just over 1500km.

I would like some advice before sending a letter notifying them of my intention to claim. I have been unable to find the answers to these when searching this forum but apologies if they have already been answered;

2) I see an example letter several pages back on this thread addressed to Mr Geoffrey Atkinson at Monarch. I understand he is the group lawyer for the airline. Should I address my first letter notifying them of my intent to claim to him or to Monarch's customer services in the first instance (and then to him if they reject my claim)?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cannot help you with 1, but with 2, I would write something similar to what Centipede 100 has written.
    Asking about the nature of the delay for insurance references
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    Options
    At the end of the day airlines get their money from one place, the passenger.
  • shaynemawer
    shaynemawer Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    hi all, am after a bit of advice after suffering my first ever airport delay. was flying form Nice to Leeds / Bradford with Jet2 on flight ls242 which was due to take off at 12:45 and was delayed until a take off time of 18:45.

the captain informed us on the plane it was down to a mechanical fault whilst the plane was in Leeds/Bradford waiting for the earlier flight to come to nice.

the only information we received off Jet2 was at 13:30 and was a slip of paper stating that our flight was delayed due to unavoidable operational reasons and a voucher for food and drink in total of 8 euro each was given to us. that is the only information we received all day until the captain spoke to us.

is this enough for any compensation or is it just a case of having to deal with it ?
  • Conel
    Options
    If you can give us the date and flight number the others may be able to comment about the conditions on the date in question.

I also suggest that you write to EZ to enquire as to the exact reason for the delay to your flight. You could state to EZ that you need this information in writing so that your insurer can assess if there is to be any payment under your travel insurance policy. The real reason is to assess whether what EZ states actually stacks up or whether it is just a fob off excuse, it may also be useful information if you decide to proceed to claim flight delay compensation once the challenge to the Sturgeon judgement has been ruled on sometime during this Autumn.

Thank you for your reply. The flight details are as follows:

Monday 11th June
    Gatwick to Berlin
    Easy Jet EZY5445 (I think it was EZY?)
    Departure time: 17.40
    Arrival time: 20.35
    Delayed by 5 hours

Are EZ Easy Jet?
  • delvey
    Options
    Conel wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. The flight details are as follows:

Monday 11th June
    Gatwick to Berlin
    Easy Jet EZY5445 (I think it was EZY?)
    Departure time: 17.40
    Arrival time: 20.35
    Delayed by 5 hours

Are EZ Easy Jet?

Ive had a quick look, and the weather on that day was as follows
    Wind Speed approx 5mph
    Temperature 20 celcius
    Pressure approx 998 HPA
    Cloud Height less than 1KM
    Visibility 3KM

So there is nothing there that suggests that there was any 'extreme' weather
    And there was also at least 5 other Easyjet flights that departed from Gatwick around that time
    And yours was the only Easyjet flight delayed going into berlin
  • Conel
    Options
    delvey wrote: »
    Ive had a quick look, and the weather on that day was as follows
    Wind Speed approx 5mph
    Temperature 20 celcius
    Pressure approx 998 HPA
    Cloud Height less than 1KM
    Visibility 3KM

So there is nothing there that suggests that there was any 'extreme' weather
    And there was also at least 5 other Easyjet flights that departed from Gatwick around that time
    And yours was the only Easyjet flight delayed going into berlin

Thank you very much for checking that, it really is appreciated.

So where do I go now? Still write to confirm what the exact cause of the delay was or log a claim with the original reason? (even though I have since been e-mailed with a different excuse).

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport