🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• BigWoody
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for taking the time to read this,

I am looking for some help and pointers on claiming for a 12.5hrs delay on our flight to Rhodes booked through Secret Escapes ( Olympic Holidays are the tour company ) we book all inclusive if this makes any difference.

The airline is Strategic Airlines, who on our return flight gave us letters one a Delay Confirmation Statement and the other an Airlines Apology.

We were supposed to fly at 07:15 on 16th May 2012 but did not take off until 19:35 on the 16th May 2012 from Manchester Airport UK

Reasons stated are unforeseen technical problems

We have checked our travel insurance but we are not covered on that, and why should we when it was not our fault.

So over to you guys, any help would be much appreciated
  • BigWoody
    BigWoody Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 30 May 2012 at 6:16PM
    Options
    Thanks for that, but really at a loss to what I do now, or who I have to get in touch with
  • delvey
    delvey Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    BigWoody wrote: »
    Thanks for that, but really at a loss to what I do now, or who I have to get in touch with

Any claim should be made to the airline, and not the tour operator (unless, of course, there the same company)
    I would first write asking for specific details of the technical problems
    Then I would wait until the ECJ final hearing is made
  • lizzielie
    lizzielie Posts: 1,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi all

Hope someone can quickly confirm if it is only delays to/ from the UK which airlines refuse compensation for? Only asking as Hubby and I had a 7 hour delay from Malaga to Barcelona, we were given meal vouchers, however we were not handed any further info of our rights.

The flight was delayed due to a technical fault which was fixed and we flew with the same aircraft which originally had been at the gate (although cabin crew said it was a new aircraft, but with little to do at an apt than plane spotting, we knew it was the same one).

Thanks in advance for your help,
  • deutsch
    deutsch Posts: 398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    my mother has a return flight - cx257 with cathay pacific, however when online checking in, this flight does not exist and she has been moved to the next flight cx253. there used to be 4 flights in a day, but there are only 3 due to "rescheduling" - called up to enquire. she had no notice of this change until checking in. is this a cancellation and is she due compensation because the cx257 was cancelled? she will arrive late in london because she has been moved due to this cancellation and her coach ticket is invalid because she is late in london.

cx257 is not delayed!
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 June 2012 at 4:38PM
    Options
    deutsch wrote: »
    my mother has a return flight - cx257 with cathay pacific, however when online checking in, this flight does not exist and she has been moved to the next flight cx253. there used to be 4 flights in a day, but there are only 3 due to "rescheduling" - called up to enquire. she had no notice of this change until checking in. is this a cancellation and is she due compensation because the cx257 was cancelled? she will arrive late in london because she has been moved due to this cancellation and her coach ticket is invalid because she is late in london.

cx257 is not delayed!

Who did she book her flight through. Whether it was the airline or an agent, they should have advised her about the schedule change and the key to the compensation part is when they say they told her. If they admit she has not been advised then she should qualify for the compensation. If they say they informed her over 14 days in advance then there will be no compensation due.

edit - as Centipede has spotted and I missed EU comp will not apply....I would still chase up with agent/airline though as why you were not advised of the change as there has been a breakdown of communication here
  • YourLocalGP
    YourLocalGP Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We're waiting for the ECJ ruling, and my money-saving memories of bank charges reclaiming kicked in; do you think we'll be entitled to interest on the amount, as with the bank charges reclaim?

Ah, fond memories of how cheeky that seemed at the time, asking Barclays for compound interest on my old uni days bank charges..
  • YourLocalGP
    YourLocalGP Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    *sigh* thanks Centipede. I don't even live in the EU any more so I expect that will make it even harder (or impossible) to claim.
  • ptfc4171
    Options
    Can you claim compensation if you are bumped from a flight
    We recently flew with American Airlines ( booked via BA ) from Glasgow to Jacksonville via Heathrow and Dallas Fort Worth.

The flight from London left an hour late due to the AA crew not arrriving at the airport on time . However the flight actually made up time and arrived 3 minutes early.

We had approx 1 hour and 50 minutes to get through immigration and customs to make our connecting flight to JAX.
    45 minutes before our connecting flight was due to depart we made it though immigration etc re checked our bags in and were told to go though security and go straight to the departure gate.

On arrival at the departure gate they had just started to board and when we went to board we were told we had been put off the flight, and to stand aside. We ask why and were told we were late , we said how were we late you have just stated boarding. We were then told to stand aside as they need to issue tickets to standby passengers.
    At this point we demanded to see a supervisor, who eventually turned up after the flight had departed.

Again we were told we were late, at which point we pointed out if we were late why were were our bags accepted and told we were ok to catch the flight.

There were two other passengers in the same situation.

It was only when we further pressed him saying that we wre there for the start off boarding did he admit that because the flight was initially delayed leaving London that American Airlines had assumed we would not make the connection and had resold the seats, and that they were surprised that we had made it
    We ended up having to stay overnight in Dallas and fly the next morning,

On arrival in Jacksonville we discovered that our bags were not on the flight with us , this was despite them confirming they were on the flight.

The bags had gone on the original flight ( so much for security rules )

Since we have got home we have tried taken this up with both BA and AA and are just getting the run around
    BA say we need to speak to AA as they were the carrier
    AA say we need to speak to BA as they issued the ticket
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 June 2012 at 8:46PM
    Options
    Did your booking have flights with BA flight numbers?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure