Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Downlaod Vauban's guide where you should find your answers. A partial payment is sometimes a sign accepting liabilty. whether you have a case depends on the on going snow issues in New York beyond your original departure time/date.
    Given the length of time for your resheduled flight - Thursday to Saturday, i can't understand why they would have to fly another crew in, surely they had time to rest before additional duties.
    I suspect airline (which?) are trying to confuse you to avoid payout.
    Have you tried an online checker, such as Bottsto check the possible validity of your claim?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • lauraD_2
    Options
    Many Thanks for your reply

The aircraft we were due to travel on had to land in Washington that was the reason we had to change crew but im very confused as they wouldn't fly back the same day due to hours worked they could have rested till Saturday then flown us back at the scheduled time of 0800 Thanks again
  • Lynthejock
    Options
    I was given the name Bott and Co to help with my claim for flight delay compensation. They have replied and said they dont deal with scotland something about jurisdiction. They told me to get in touch with a company called EU claim. Does anyone have any dealings with this company or can recommend any other claims lawyers on a no win no fee basis that deal with claims in Scotland. The flight was Glasgow to Palma de mallorca.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think besides Bott they are the ones people seem to use. I would have no problem using them.
  • SILASBLAGGS
    Options
    Just to let everyone know who is following this long drawn out saga on the 30th of January I received payment €800 euros (in Sterling for the flight delay in to our Bank account. The slight downside is that the Spanish Bank when sending the money used an exchange rate of 1.17 instead of 1.13,but after nearly 12 months glad to get the bulk of it from them.

Regarding Bott I approached them when I appeared to be getting nowhere with Vueling or the AESA but they advised that their information was that the flight was delayed due to Air Traffic Control strikes and then they said the flight never arrived at Manchester !!!! So I have asked them where they get their information from as the information was incorrect by a long way.
    They also said they had 5 other claims on this flight so I suggested they might wish to revisit these claims as Vueling had appeared to accept liability.

I guess the moral of this story is if you are in the right carry on and persevere till it is the Airline that concedes, It has taken me nearly 12 months to get the right result in the end.:j
  • symphony63
    Options
    Is there a site where I can find out historical ATC restrictions? An airline is refusing to pay and as to our knowledge there were no ATC restrictions in UK airspace
  • PPS
    PPS Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Can I please ask a qestion? My family were delayed in 2010 and fit all the requirements for compensation. I wrote to airline within the 6 years and they confirmed we were entitled to 400 Euros per person. When I later wrote back asking for the compensation to be paid by cheque they told me I was outside the 6 year deadline. Although my first correspondence was within the 6 year deadline when they confirmed I was entitled to compensation. What should I do next? Thank you.
  • JPears
    Options
    Unfortunately you have left it too long, the airline can treat you with impunity as you are outside the 6 year limit for bringing legal action in court.
    I'm guessing your only legal route maybe that if you have it in writing that the airline agreed to pay you and they haven't then you could sue for breach of contract or similar?

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PPS wrote: »
    What should I do next? .

I am afraid there is nothing you can do. Court proceedings would need to have started within the 6 years. Quite a few airlines will waste time until the deadline passes unless you keep on top of them and issue nba/start court proceedings
  • JPears
    Options
    But if the airline have admitted liability and agreed to pay and there is evidence of this then I would have though it would a small claims action would still be possible. It is not unreasonable to expect payment if it has been agreed.
    The statue of limitations applies to the time the claimant became aware of the issue. Which in this case is the refusal of the airline to pay. However this is only my understanding of the legal process.
    I suspect ADR will not be much use here. And they can't enforce payment anyway.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport