Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As I said, post all the details to let us help.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have e. Ailed Emirates about10 times and they keep saying that they are appealing against the high court ruling and will not be paying any compensation until this is sorted. Seem to be the 9nly airline who are refusing to pay out any compensation.

You need to confirm the details. I assume this was an on-time or delay under 3 hours arriving in Dubai and then a missed connection. There are other non-EU airlines that have been rejecting similar claims (delay outside the EU)
  • holiday_lovers
    Options
    We know the date we flew from Manchester but we do not have the flight number or the airline. We were delayed quite a long while. Can we still claim?
    Thank you.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We know the date we flew from Manchester but we do not have the flight number or the airline. We were delayed quite a long while. Can we still claim?

who are you going to claim from if you do not know the airline?
    there are resources available to find the flight number/airline if you confirm the route and date
    Do you know what the reason for the delay was?
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Thank you.

If you don't know which airline who are you going to claim against? I'd have thought if it was a longish delay you'd have remembered the airline though lol.
  • Nordictat2
    Nordictat2 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Norwegian Air. NEVER again. I have been traveling for 20+ yrs and never have I encountered such poor service from an airlines.

My question is...can I claim twice if 2 flights in a row were canceled/delayed? It was not due to weather or plane issues but because of lack of staff!
    First flight, JFK to OSLO with Norwegian Air was canceled via text as I was in mid-travel to the airport. They mentioned we could use HiFly Air as a replacement flight but from what I heard from various people online as well as at the airport..they said to avoid it as it was total crap for a long haul flight. Not to mention this flight was to leave at 4am (didn't leave til after 5am after checking. I rebooked my flight for the next day and they said that this flight will be a Norwegian plane and will be on time (just after 10 it was to leave). I had to book a hotel myself (Norwegian are getting the bill and saved receipts from my dinner and breakfast as well)
    Guess what? As I was checking in the next day for the newest flight...was told it was delayed and was to leave at 2:55 in the morning! The plane was not on time and didn't leave til after 3:20 in the morning!
    This meant I would miss my connecting flight in Oslo and Norwegian's last flight to Stavanger for the day. I didn't make the flight and Norwegian *misplaced* my bags for 2 hrs.
    I have a leg injury at the moment and walking with a cane or have to be in a wheel chair so this way NO FUN for me all...so stressed and I am usually ok traveling by myself but this time? I swore I was going to have a panic attack form all this. The lady at the airport who was was with wheelchair assistance...pushed me around for almost 2 hrs helping me and when we got to the Norwegian service desk...she said You have put this poor woman through so much stress with all your errors the past 2 day that you need to send her home on SAS airlines and not make her wait anymore! *She was a lovely lady I must say* :)
    So with a bad attitude the Norwegian cs rep put me on a SAS flight to Stavanger....I got home 6 hrs later than I should have from Oslo.

This has to be the longest trip I ever had in trying to get home!
    :D *If you like the advice I give...let me know by clicking the THANKS button* :D
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Nordictat2,

That sounds like you had an awful trip thanks to Norwegian Airlines.

It appears that you will get compensation, cost and expenses for the first delay.

Two claims for one delay is a debatable and unclear issue at the moment.

If you were issued with a boarding card for the second flight I would claim for it too, but keep the two claims completely separate, and see how they go.

I assume you mean 1 day and 6 hours late all together. 6 hours just for the second flight?

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Disneyfan1
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I was delayed 6 hours on a flight to America with American Airlines. At check in we were eligible to claim compensation as the delay was due to scheduled maintainence and told us how to claim.

We have attemped to claim yet AA are saying it was due to Air Traffic control.

We contacted the CAA who have contacted AA and the CAA have said in their opinion the disruption to the flight is in their opinion eligible for compensation and they have asked AA to pay us however AA have refused.

Is anyone else in a similar position or had the same situation with AA and ended with the receiving compensation?

Is the next step a small claims court?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you Andrea xx
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Andrea,

Yes, next step is MCOL, remember to use the paper form if claiming for more than one person at the same time. The online version is only for one claimant.

Unfortunately the CAA have no legal powers to force airlines to pay up. Why? I don't know, it causes all sorts of problems, but, thats the way it is.

Hopefully AA will offer to pay before having to turn up in a court hearing.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Disneyfan1
    Options
    Thank you.

I hae never used MCOL before and looking throught the guidence notes it all seems a bit daunting, plus its £70 for the risk of receiving nothing. I have no legal background so I'm worried it might be a waste of time. Has anyone had any suceess with AA through MCOL.

Can I still use MCOL even though AA are an Amerian company?

Thanks Andrea xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure