Anyone used EU Claim/Bott & Co?

Options

Comments

• 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Where the no win no fee 'make money' is if they have already made a claim against the airline for your flight and achieved the desired result. The NWNF then writes to the airline to point out they have already settled in respect of flight number xxxx. This also helps the claimant as it leads to speedy resolution as the matter does not (normally) have to go to court which also obviously saves the NWNF a lot of time and court fees.

Therefore the reason why the firm mentioned in numerous posts are in pole position plus the fact they took it upon themselves to take on Jet2 (Huzar) and Thomson (Dawson).

Basically it is a question of running with someone you are convinced will achieve the desired result and if this means paying a little more then so be it.

My advise would be to use the Vauban method but if you feel it too difficult to go to the NWNF you feel most comfortable with.
  • socrates1882
    Options
    Apologies for intruding on here.

As many of you will know, I am Kevin from Bott & Co. I don't get on here nearly as much as I would like or used to, and I always feel bad posting on this thread because it does feel a bit invasive.

I don't want to discuss the merits of Bott against other companies or talk about pricing because I don't think that's appropriate. What I would stress is that if you are going to instruct somebody to pursue a claim for you then I would strongly recommend using a law firm rather than a claims management company.

Claims Management Companies cannot issue court proceedings on your behalf and they will fire off a template letter - similar to those available free online. A law firm will issue court proceedings and I think that is where you get the benefit of paying somebody.

I would always encourage people to try themselves - Vauban's guide is absolutely fantastic and there are other articles around about pitfalls for litigants in person. But if you are going to instruct anybody to get real bang for your buck I would always go with a law firm. There is no real point agreeing to pay somebody 20% or whatever if they don't actually give you any real chance of getting your money back.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

As many of you will know, I am Kevin from Bott & Co. I don't get on here nearly as much as I would like or used to, and I always feel bad posting on this thread because it does feel a bit invasive.

I don't want to discuss the merits of Bott against other companies or talk about pricing because I don't think that's appropriate. What I would stress is that if you are going to instruct somebody to pursue a claim for you then I would strongly recommend using a law firm rather than a claims management company.

Claims Management Companies cannot issue court proceedings on your behalf and they will fire off a template letter - similar to those available free online. A law firm will issue court proceedings and I think that is where you get the benefit of paying somebody.

I would always encourage people to try themselves - Vauban's guide is absolutely fantastic and there are other articles around about pitfalls for litigants in person. But if you are going to instruct anybody to get real bang for your buck I would always go with a law firm. There is no real point agreeing to pay somebody 20% or whatever if they don't actually give you any real chance of getting your money back.

Excellent point, I seen a post somewhere were someones claim hit a block because the company didnt have 'locus standi'
  • legal_magpie
    Options
    . What I would stress is that if you are going to instruct somebody to pursue a claim for you then I would strongly recommend using a law firm rather than a claims management company.
    Claims Management Companies cannot issue court proceedings on your behalf

Kevin is absolutely right. Claims management companies have no right to issue legal proceedings but I know of at least one which does so and those claims are being struck out by the Courts.
  • PaulR137
    Options
    I won my case. According to my invoice they took slightly over 52% of what they received and gave me and they wife the rest. Not as good a deal as it first seemed. Most updates I got were generic and probably sent out to hundreds of clients. In my opinion, they are doing minimal work for a massive fee with little risk to themselves
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PaulR137 wrote: »
    I won my case. According to my invoice they took slightly over 52% of what they received and gave me and they wife the rest. Not as good a deal as it first seemed. Most updates I got were generic and probably sent out to hundreds of clients. In my opinion, they are doing minimal work for a massive fee with little risk to themselves

Could you have done it yourself, without a professional solicitor? If not, you've got a good deal. If you think you could, then why didn't you?

Presumably the 52% is made up of something like a claim for two x 600 Euros for a flight five years ago? The interest on this - which is it clear you don't get to keep, and in any case is far from assured - is what makes up the bulk of the award - 480 euros alone.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's strange how critics of EC261 say things like :-
    'where there's blame there's a claim' that we live in a compensation culture and people that persue claims under EC261 are greedy.

If was even mentioned by Charles Bear QC in the Allen case, we live in a click for claim culture, it's not like the old days, when you had to make an appointment with your local Solicitor and then pay upfront for that meeting....

Culture has changed, and you can't go back in time to a rose coloured spectacle version where Solicitors charged £250 an hour to take a case forward, how would that be better? Perhaps only for the airlines

NWNF Is a very low cost option in terms of legal redress, the profits are extremely low and it's only be automating the process that it becomes viable, my own solicitor that I've had to use on the odd occasion charges £265 plus VAT an hour. In fact most fully qualified partners charge in a similar price range.

So I personally wouldn't mind paying around 27% of any compensation in a fee, of course that's better than 100% of nothing...

If I'd have know the amount of research, time and effort is have to do to get my personal compensation, I would have gone with Bott & Co at the outset.

The fees are upfront and in my view entirely reasonable.

Everyone has a choice DIY or NWNF or to even pay an hourly rate with a local firm just like the good old days.

To come back to the subject at hand, I wasn't aware of the legal differences between a claims management company and a firm of Solicitors such as Botts so thanks to Kevin for pointing that out.

Good luck if your going DIY, but please if you decide to pay a legal firm to do everything for you, don't moan when they take any interest and 27% of your compensation.

Cheers,

NoviceAngel
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • selurz
    Options
    Below is a break down of the costs from a case they paid out just today. All the stated percentages are less VAT, and they have also added Disbursements, not sure whether this is theirs or the airlines. Anyway, as per previous posts, it gets to a smidge over 50%

Total Amount Received

£881.53

LESS

Our Charges:

27% Deduction, Fixed Costs and Interest (less VAT): £286.34

€25 Admin Fee per Passenger x 2: £40.06

Total Disbursements: £70.00

VAT: £57.27

Total Costs - £453.67

Total paid out to passengers in this case

£427.86
  • tortou
    tortou Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options

Can you recommend any firm which deals with claims from Aer Lingus flying out of Dublin? I am in the US si can't file a claim myself.
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Claims Management Companies cannot issue court proceedings on your behalf .

Kevin, you are absolutely right but I know of at least one CMC that does issue proceedings. The Judges are onto it and the claims are likely to be struck out leaving the clients high and dry.
    So I wholeheartedly endorse Kevin's advice which is that if you don't want to issue the proceedings yourself, get a solicitor acting for you, not a Claims management company
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure