MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

Options

Comments

• hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I see what you are saying Quentin but I am currently paying monthly £9.50 for o2 and £15 for BT line rental. If I leave it as it is I am worse off. If I switch early to Sky I am immediately much better off because only paying £3.75 a month as opposed to almost £25 a month. I don't know where you get the 12 months free deals from from.
  • hubb
    edited 14 November 2013 at 1:03PM
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    You say that you were not talked into anything but you obviously didn't understand what you had signed up to and then came on here expecting to be spoon fed with detailed info, rather than reading the thread for yourself.

So how much are your daytime weekday calls now going to cost you? I bet that you haven't even checked have you!

You stated that upload speed was important to you only yesterday but you now seem to have forgotten all about that after your bribe to switch early.

I have not negotiated any deal yet because I am not in any hurry and have so far refused to speak to Sky sales by blocking their number.

Sky said around the same price as the cost of BT calls. I hardly use the phone for calling anyway and if I did, the cost of calls would easily add up less than BT's extortionate rental charge.

My brother in law in the same village has switched to Sky from o2 and he says speeds are better and no drop outs so far.

Loads here have taken up with Sky like myself but I haven't seen you calling them thick for taking up with Sky.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    Sky said around the same price as the cost of BT calls.

You do seem to be rather naive believing a Sky sales person who is on commission to get you to agree!

I hardly use the phone for calling anyway and if I did, the cost of calls would easily add up less than BT's extortionate rental charge.

BT line rental £141 per annum
    Sky line rental £140 per annum

My brother in law in the same village has switched to Sky from o2 and he says speeds are better and no drop outs so far.

That would depend on exactly which O2 broadband package he was on.

Loads here have taken up with Sky like myself but I haven't seen you calling them thick for taking up with Sky.

You do seem to have a problem understanding plain english - I have never said that anyone is "thick for taking up with Sky" but perhaps they at least understood their options before making an informed decision!

:doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • hubb
    Options
    Sky line rental and BB £45 per year (for the duration of my contact) and then I can bargain or switch.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    .......... I don't know where you get the 12 months free deals from from.

You must have missed them.

The forum had plenty of posts sharing the deals.

Those of us unhappy with the prospect of sky contacted o2 to leave.

02 bribed us to stay for a year by giving us £200 phone account credit plus free broadband for 12 months.
  • hubb
    edited 14 November 2013 at 6:06PM
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    You must have missed them.

The forum had plenty of posts sharing the deals.

Those of us unhappy with the prospect of sky contacted o2 to leave.

02 bribed us to stay for a year by giving us £200 phone account credit plus free broadband for 12 months.

To be fair I only came on this forum in the last few days. Thanks for letting me know though. I don't have my landline with o2 so a phone account would have been no good. I suppose it is too late to change what I have with o2 as they are not going to want to bargain with me at this late in the game.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To be fair I only came on this forum in the last few days. Thanks for letting me know though. I don't have my landline with o2 so a phone account would have been no good. I suppose it is too late to change what I have with o2 as they are not going to want to bargain with me at this late in the game.

The £200 was for contract mobile accounts. I didn't get it as my mobile was pay as you go, but I did get the 12 months free (though I only took 7 months, because I changed to Sky)
  • qwertyty
    Options
    Congratulations, you have managed another insult :T

It doesn't matter what good deal you post here. Someone will come along and poo poo it and suck all the joy from it.

I wasn't talked to anything. At first I was, then I phoned up Sky and said I wasn't happy. They offered me £75 as well as Free evening and weekend calls for £10 a month for 12 months -£75 which is £3.75 a month.

So tell me, what great tariff have you got then ?

Does that include the free sky TV or is it just for bb and phone?
  • hubb
    Options
    The broadband and phone.
  • General_query
    Options
    Hi, leaving things until the last minute as usual but....

I am a BE Broadband customer for broadband @ £17.99pm

I am a BT customer for landline and voice calls @ £24.50 pm (direct debit amount anyway).

Like a previous poster, BT sent me a letter (which I only just opened too late last night) saying they are now charging me £3.50pm from 1st November for evening and weekend calls - which were previously free. Their line rental is also going up to £15.99pm from January, what a rip off :(

I despise BT and hate paying so much for line rental when I hardly make any calls. In fact they have suspended this months and next months payments of £24.50 as I am paying too much and am in too much credit with them!

Now, I have a letter from SKY offering me Unlimited Broadband at £15pm, with NO LINE RENTAL, but that includes a charge of £5 for not having SKY TALK and also a charge of £5 for not having SKY TV.

I think they have already set the wheels in motion as the letter says they (SKY) will be taking the £15pm from 1st December instead of it going to BE Broadband, but I haven't signed anything :(

I don't know what to do, and who to go with. I don't want SKY TV as I just can't afford it. I don't want any TV package from BT either.

Do I sell my soul to the Devil and phone up SKY and ask for a deal on unlimited broadband *AND* line rental, or stay with the devil I know (BT) and see what they offer me please?

Will BE (aka O2>SKY) charge me if I leave them to take broadband with BT? Will BE want their modem back?

Sorry for sounding so clueless and being in a panic - I *AM*

Please advice/help me :(

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills