MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

Options

Comments

• fireice
    fireice Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    anactuary wrote: »
    I mean 0800 230 0202 - it's the O2 broadband customer services number which is now answered by Sky - hence you avoid a chargeable call on 0844. Follow the options for thinking of leaving.

Do you if it is answered by Sky or o2 for technical support (not migrations)?
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I got my letter last Friday saying that I would migrate in January/February and it would be £5pm as I already have Sky TV. This was what I was told a few weeks ago when I phoned to ask. At that time I asked about migrating early and was told it would be free BB for a year and I would have to pay the normal line rental. Nothing exceptional there.

Phoned last Monday to say I didn't want to migrate in January/February as I still had free BB until 2nd March. So they set about trying to persuade me. First of all offered free line rental and BB at £7.50pm plus a £40 credit to offset the loss of my free O2 BB. Said I'd think about it as I had heard others being offered £75 credit. So it was upped to £75 meaning Line Rental and BB for £15 for the whole year.

I've always said that I would stay with BT as it was the only provider who had to offer access to low cost call providers such as 1899 etc. However with the recent announcements, that's probably going to change at the end of this year as they will no longer have to. Caller Display also becomes chargeable although you can still get it free by agreeing to a 12 months contract from 4th January. It just seemed to be one thing after another.

O2 was great, especially as I had one of the old legacy packages. Every year I got at least a 6 months free discount with no problem. It's a shame they sold it. BT and BT resellers were no use as I'm too far from the exchange to get a reasonable speed. No fibre at the exchange as yet.

More and more, it seems that the best offers are part of a complete package and it was either Sky, TalkTalk or Virgin who seemed most likely for me. As I have Sky TV already and was being offered line rental and BB for £15 for the year, I've decided to accept their offer and will move over at the end of the month. Haven't decided on the Anytime package yet. I'll wait and see how I get on with using my mobile minutes and BT Smart Talk via my parents' BT account.

My friend phoned last night. She had not done anything when the letter came through about her migration and thought she'd missed the boat as she too had free BB until 2nd March. However yesterday she received an email about the changeover and thought she'd chance her arm by saying she knew nothing about it and didn't want to move over yet. She was offered free BB for 8 months and 4 months at £5pm. This was instead of the £7.50 that her letter said. She only wanted BB although there's no real reason for her not to take the phone too - I think she's just unsure. She definitely doesn't want the TV.
  • jem16
    Options
    fireice wrote: »
    Do you if it is answered by Sky or o2 for technical support (not migrations)?

Phone and find out.

What problem are you having?
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    looks like a whole page of posts is missing , what I was reading yesterday has vanished?
    sanfly
  • jem16
    Options
    sanfly wrote: »
    looks like a whole page of posts is missing , what I was reading yesterday has vanished?

Don't see anything missing from a quick glance. What were you reading yesterday ?
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    Don't see anything missing from a quick glance. What were you reading yesterday ?

Was reading a long involved thread about sky offers, thought I would have another read this morning, cannot find, it sure it was posted yesterday..........could be cracking up though...lol
    sanfly
  • fireice
    fireice Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    andyb4.5 wrote: »
    I'm on the £0 per month deal from o2 until May 2014. So was surprised when I got the letter from Sky telling me they were going to charge me £5 if I did nothing.

Called them, and they are not migrating me now. Staying on the same deal at same price. (as opposed to the same deal, but £5 per month which is what they were offering)

Well worth making that call if you are on a £0 per month contract.

How did you get them to delay the migration? I rang them and they kept offering the free line rental with broadband + credit and I said I would think about it.
  • cheapychappy
    Options
    Rang Sky to see what deal I could negotiate for unlimited broadband only.

I eventually settled for 12 months contract @ £5 per month with a £75 credit and a free router.

That equates to free broadband for 12 months with £15 carried over should I extend my contract .

All this has been confirmed by email.

Will update with speeds etc. once service has commenced and has settled down .
  • CosmicTen
    Options
    Well I phoned sky back on the 0800 number and the service was so much better. Answered by a UK based Sky person which didn't happen the other day, plus he knew exactly which team to put me through too and had my details as well.

Gave the three options as most people have but surprisingly which I didn't realise that you could stay with just Broadband and not have the phone line which you can't get as a new customer. Only £5 a month and unlimited, though going up at the end of the 12 month contract.

Second option with the phone line was good too, the £7.50 a month with the £75 credit offer that's been mentioned so effectively £15 for a whole year and then going up to the normal price thereafter.

Lastly the TV package with a good price but not something I really want.

I do like having my line provided by BT, but with the recent rental charges, the change in the caller ID stuff and them charging extra if you pay your bill manually rather than DD still a bit of a sore point with me, then it's looking pretty difficult to justify staying with BT for the phone line when it comes to prices.

On top of that the Sky contract is only 12 months and the BB prices are fixed with the O2 transfer offer so if after 12 months I don't like it I can still go elsewhere. The savings alone would more than pay to go back to a BT line.

Hmm!
  • General_query
    Options
    Some good offers available.

Personally I think I'm getting ripped off as a current BE broadband customer being offered SKY Unlimited broadband for £15 a month while keeping BT for line rental and calls.

Something in my head is stopping me from switching to SKY for line rental, just can't put my finger on it..... :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure