Embarrassing situation but can it be sorted?

Options

Comments

• Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I suggest it is still possible to be so drunk you can't remember what's happened, but still have remembered your PIN. Sometimes PIN numbers can be instinctive. Your fingers tap the numbers as if by themselves, without any concious thought.

I've woken up at home not being able to remember any of the night before. And yet I somehow remembered where I live, how to walk there/instruct a taxi, pay a taxi, maybe stop off for a kebab, open the door and get into bed - all done on automatic.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    My best bet is that he's booked private space for him and a "dancer" and the same for his mates.

Lots of "dancing" and closer stuff. No sex allowed in a respectable establishment though.

£500 for an hour x number of mates. £100 for a stupidly expensive bottle of wine x number of mates.

Repeat x 3 hours = £1,800 x 3 mates = £5,400.

Stupid. Pointless. And much better on a client's expense account than your own credit card.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    I have nothing but sympathy for the OP. Even for those that take the view that he was stupid, £5K is a disproportionate price to pay for that. But I'm in the "crime is a crime" camp and it seems there was some deception.

I would go to the police - see if they can get the CCTV. There must be CCTV. You could also do a DPA subject access request. Of course this material might have magically been lost. But worth a try.

If you fail with a complaint to the CC, I might even have a pop via Small Claims and require CCTV be disclosed that way. You never know they might offer to settle or not bother turning up. Unless you can provide decent witness evidence though, your case would be weak if it went to a hearing - though their not being able to produce CCTV evidence wouldn't be very credible IMHO. I was recently defending a case where a company claimed to record phone calls, but then couldn't produce the recording. The judge obviously didn't believe their story that they no longer had the recording. Different case, of course, but we were successful despite it looking hopeless.

One more thing, a little OT. I was drugged once. It happened late afternoon in a cafe. I never took my eyes off my non-alcoholic drink. I can only assume a staff member was involved. I just made it home before sleeping/going unconscious for 18 hours. These things do happen. In my case it was a stalker.
  • MissMoneypenny
    MissMoneypenny Posts: 5,324 Forumite
    edited 26 April 2013 at 6:57PM
    Options
    This scam has been doing the rounds for ages. The idea is you all feel sorry for the OP and send them money. Don't fall for it.

Reported.
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.
    Read the sticky on the House Buying, Renting & Selling board.

• electrified2011
    Options
    Thanks for the bits of sympathy but I'm thinking the 0% card option will be the plan. I will explore some of the ideas mentioned.
    MissMoneypenny I am in no way after donations!
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the bits of sympathy but I'm thinking the 0% card option will be the plan. I will explore some of the ideas mentioned.
    MissMoneypenny I am in no way after donations!

Have you got any details from your bank of how the payments were made up - i.e. was it one £5k transaction or lots of smaller transactions?
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One more thing, a little OT. I was drugged once........These things do happen. In my case it was a stalker.

Anyone from this forum here?!? :D
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone from this forum here?!? :D

There's a thought! Are you her?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This scam has been doing the rounds for ages. The idea is you all feel sorry for the OP and send them money. Don't fall for it.

Reported.

No one is getting anything from me without a lap dance and a bottle of bubbly!

Actually they're almost certainly getting nothing even with...
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP has not asked for money! And if he did considering another poster suggested that this topic had been mention last year would have rung alarm bells with many.
    I see no reason to report this thread as it is harmless enough at the moment.
    Maybe you did not see the bit where the OP said he'd perhaps get an 0% credit card!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure