Embarrassing situation but can it be sorted?

Options

Comments

• gazzak_2
    gazzak_2 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    matttye wrote: »
    It's very irresponsible to get into the sort of state where you wouldn't recognise a scam in the first place.

So on that basis it's OK for a woman to get raped because she was completely smashed is it? A crime is a crime. no matter how intoxicated the victim is. £5000 in a strip club is completely OTT.

At £20 a dance that's 250 dances, and even at the prices they charge for drinks it's close to 1000 bottles of beer. So what exactly did the £5000 cover? It was dodgy and we all know it.
  • fewcloudy
    fewcloudy Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Well said.
    Feb 2008, 20year lifetime tracker with "Sproggit and Sylvester"... 0.14% + base for 2 years, then 0.99% + base for life of mortgage...base was 5.5% in 2008...but not for long. Credit to my mortgage broker
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    gazzak wrote: »
    So on that basis it's OK for a woman to get raped because she was completely smashed is it? A crime is a crime. no matter how intoxicated the victim is. £5000 in a strip club is completely OTT.

At £20 a dance that's 250 dances, and even at the prices they charge for drinks it's close to 1000 bottles of beer. So what exactly did the £5000 cover? It was dodgy and we all know it.

You're twisting my words. I didn't say it's okay IF a crime did happen, just saying that the OP got into such a state he has no way of knowing. So far there' nothing to suggest a crime was actually committed!

Don't forget his friends were there too. Maybe he bought him and all his friends lapdances from two, three girls at the same time. Who knows.

There are drinks a lot more expensive than beer in most clubs.

The only chance of finding out is reporting it to the police and asking them to check the CCTV, if there is any. Or asking his friends if they saw anything untoward while they were there.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Options

Bit of a difference there - I don't think drunk rape victims willingly hand themselves over to their attackers and then assist in the rape - whereas the OP appears to have been sober enough to handover his card and enter a PIN (unless his card has been cloned and PIN observed during an earlier transaction - in which case he can try and claim for fraud) and also provide his driver's licence as identification.

Yes he appears to have been taken advantage of, but unless he can prove that fraud has taken place he has no chance of a refund.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends what sort of "strip club" it was. I've dealt with cases exactly the same as this, in some of the high end clubs, £5k doesn't go very far. I've seen 6 figure bills before. And no, they weren't refunded.
  • Dogger69
    Dogger69 Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Options

Prices can be considerably higher than that - drinks can be well into the hundreds, as can the entertainment.

Your experience is clearly limited to low end clubs :p
  • grahamgoo
    grahamgoo Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whilst I agree it is not a good idea to get so drunk that you can't remember what you are doing, I do not think this £5000 credit card bill is deserved.

Perhaps the OP could expand on the sequence of events. What can you remember about the night? Was the £5000 a single transaction, or multiple ones through the night? Do you remember anything about being in the bar? What have your friends told you about the sequence of events? How well do you know these friends/are they well trusted?

My gut feeling is that this was a scam. Perhaps you thought you were paying £50.00 and they put it through as £5000. If that was the case, I would definitely be taking it further.
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options
    gb12345 wrote: »
    Bit of a difference there - I don't think drunk rape victims willingly hand themselves over to their attackers and then assist in the rape - whereas the OP appears to have been sober enough to handover his card and enter a PIN (unless his card has been cloned and PIN observed during an earlier transaction - in which case he can try and claim for fraud) and also provide his driver's licence as identification.

Yes he appears to have been taken advantage of, but unless he can prove that fraud has taken place he has no chance of a refund.

I could be wrong but it is not classed as rape if the woman is too drunk to be deemed to give consent?

Should it not therefore be sexual assault if the man was given private "dances" but was obviously to drunk to give consent?
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Options
    grahamgoo wrote: »
    Perhaps the OP could expand on the sequence of events. What can you remember about the night? Was the £5000 a single transaction, or multiple ones through the night? Do you remember anything about being in the bar? What have your friends told you about the sequence of events? How well do you know these friends/are they well trusted?

My gut feeling is that this was a scam. Perhaps you thought you were paying £50.00 and they put it through as £5000. If that was the case, I would definitely be taking it further.

This will be key to proving that it was fraud - if it was one 5k transaction and the club are not able to back up what he paid for then he has a greater chance of it being accepted as fraud. But, if it was a number of transactions over the course of the night, such as bottles of fizz at a few hundered quid a pop then he is going to have difficulty proving that he wasn't just trying to impress the ladies.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    JakeGreen - I don't remember making any transactions so I don't recall getting amounts. My finances were in the best shape for years and I was wanting to have a holiday this year but the dream is over. I might speak to the licensing board as drunk people should by law be kicked out of bars and not get kept in and get ripped off. I hope to wake up from this nightmare very soon.
    It's always someone else's fault. Just take responsibility for your own drunken actions.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family