Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Madeleine's Fund : Leaving No Stone Unturned

Options

Comments

• astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    Options
    OK so Sarah was out with her siblings of her own age. Great childcare choice there. And the Mccans are both doctors, sorry if I got the 2 well paid professions mixed up but they reported on the news last night that one was a lawyer and one a doctor so that's what I presumed the case was.

As I said in a previous post I sympathise entirely with the plight of the McCanns and even have a poster of the girl in my front window but I don't know why they deserve a fund more than any other missing child.
    She was with older siblings, they werent all the same age unless they were a multiple birth.
    I dunno what news you were watching but i wouldt bother again as they obviously dont know how to get their facts right, this has been reported on the news every day and they cant get the prffession of the mccanns right :rolleyes:
    But i agree with the latter of your post.
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    But i agree with the latter of your post.

Get the flags out and mark this in your diary. Astonsmummy agrees with something I've said :eek:
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • astonsmummy
    Options
    Get the flags out and mark this in your diary. Astonsmummy agrees with something I've said :eek:
    I've already took an ad out in the paper ;)
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    needmoney wrote: »
    Yes I agree with you they can't do right for doing wrong and it's all very well for us all to watch and maybe criticise but none of us can know how we'd feel. I though can only imagine that at this stage I would not want to be seen in public I'm a kind of 'grief is private' person and I don't think I'd be fit to be seen I'd probably be a mumbling wreck.

My comment wasn't meant to be mean and I know the significance of the shrine but I think I would want to be doing something else.

I understand, I am like that too. It was not at you more though at those who seem to just judge and point fingers at them no matter what they do or how they act.

I just think that only those involved personally in the situation can decide how to act, the rest of us have no idea.
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    I think this needs repeating to clarify:

The McCanns did NOT ASK for a fund. The money is pouring in from well-wishers and companies whether they want it or not.

They did not say they needed one.
    They did not ask for one.

It has to be managed somehow, so a fund has been set up.
    The fund will also benefit other missing kids.

If they did not set up a fund they would be criticized (for handling the money pouring in themselves). If they set up a fund they are criticized.
    MFW #185
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they didn't ask for it or need it, why weren't the donations simply returned?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • astonsmummy
    Options
    or all of it donated to charity
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    Well for one if they were anonymous cheques and actual money who would they return them to? And if paid via bank, they cannot just return the money unless they know the bank details of the person who sent it - you cannot just 'reverse' a bacs payment.
    MFW #185
  • brodev
    brodev Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    As this is a charities thread wouldn't it be nice if everybody was a little bit more charitable. If any recriminations are due then these poor parents will be the ones that have to live with them. We can all take these events as a sad reminder of the world we live in.
    Why has this caught the imagination of us all when other similar events haven't? Because it has. If someone wishes to contribute to this fund.........fine. If not........equally fine. I feel a little more affected by this as I was in Praia da Luz just before and just after Madeleine went missing
    Something Really Interesting
  • rammy007
    rammy007 Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    After reading through these threads i have come to the conclusion that obviously everyone hopes that Madeline is found safe and well,and the majority of people wonder why on earth they left them,this issue is obviously one which will be addressed at a later date.The thing which concerns me about all this is if it had happened to a child from a family of a lower social background would the same sort of appeal,and publicity have happened.Sadly i think not,a lot of strings have been pulled so any sort of appeal should help all families.I am also wondering if she is still alive,i have a niece who is the same age and who is really bright and chatty and anyone who abducted her would have a hard job silencing her in public places cos she never shuts up.Lets just hope she is found soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport