PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

May 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,942 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Paying 2nd purse today for items used this week - £42.30 added to total. Only £111.01 left until the end of the month :eek:

Off to visit a friend today then picking DM up from hospital - barium meal :(

Have a good day everyone.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: HSC Winter Panel 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens 15/24
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi...hope that goes well for your mum coxy.....i am here feeling sorry for myself with no kitchen and now wont have one until tuesday at the earliest....we sank low last night and had micro chips from the corner shop from the microwave

while in said corner shop i got a massive packet of preserving sugar for a quid so thought i would make some strawberry jam down the line ...strange shop micro chips/preserving sugar and a packet of biscuits used to try and lift spirits...a partial sucess

i will have to do a bit of shopping at the weekend as havent a lot left in except milk which is unusual

have a great weekend
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 17 May 2013 at 11:42AM
    Options
    £2.40 on four large bananas and a small aubergine from the grocers :eek:. I only expected it to be about £1.80. I will stick to SM prices in future. I wouldn't mind but i used up aubergines last night with pasta, not realising i needed them today :mad:. Also spent £1.09 in the chemist on calamine lotion, as DD and I are covered in bites again :(.

Will add to sig, as not planning on any more spends today.

*Edited to say* and just seen they are now 50p in Tesco - gah! I could have shuffled around my meal plan and cooked my recipe later on :cool:. Does anybody know if they roast and freeze okay, as i'll stock up if so!?
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £106.38 May £?
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hi...hope that goes well for your mum coxy.....i am here feeling sorry for myself with no kitchen and now wont have one until tuesday at the earliest....we sank low last night and had micro chips from the corner shop from the microwave

while in said corner shop i got a massive packet of preserving sugar for a quid so thought i would make some strawberry jam down the line ...strange shop micro chips/preserving sugar and a packet of biscuits used to try and lift spirits...a partial sucess

i will have to do a bit of shopping at the weekend as havent a lot left in except milk which is unusual

have a great weekend
    tessa
    Tuesday - no idea when I will have a kitchen. :eek:
    My cooker arrived today but kitchen men are grouting the floor tiles then working on plumbing. :(
    He is going to work tomorrow - plastering the walls. :(
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering - 2024 - 4,177 June - 1966/153
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £47.95/£100 NSD - 114
    2024 Craft Makes - 235 Craft Spends 2024 £403.10/£500
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I am so proud of my 1st attempt at making nann breads, i just have to share the photo

2013-05-15181501_zps461e1249.jpg

I had 5, froze 2, and my children and I had 1 each. They were lovely!
    I normally buy a pack of 2 for about 80p from either Lidl or Aldi, and consider that a bargain...but those 5 that i made cost pennies (i guess about 10p, probably even less) and tasted so much nicer due to being fresh and HM :D

so, amount saved- 70p (every little helps!).

Well Done! I'm sure they were nicer than store-bought too
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    flo thats difficult for you...i have decided to dig out the sc and make a chilli in the front room on monday....we have eaten all the food i got on sunday so need to do a shop of kitchen in the living room friendly food

makes me realise how lucky i am to have a nice kitchen:p (most of the time)
    onwards and upwards
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Junes new thread is up people :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    budgeteer wrote: »
    Well Done! I'm sure they were nicer than store-bought too

Thanks, they were lovely :D Even the kids agreed, so i will be making them lots more!

Just updated my signature to reflect this weeks online shop (week 3). I had a free delivery from asda, and also a few coupons.
  • LarLar
    LarLar Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    Week 1 = £26
    Week 2 = £20
    = £74 left of budget

Spent the £26 in the first week in asda and the £20 yesterday for the 2nd week in co-op.

Managed to keep it relatively low as my cupboards are well stocked and i've been using up freezer stuff. :) Also been making home made chips instead of buying frozen.
    Goals (Christmas 2014 Journey Started 29th June 2014)
    Savings - £170 - £1,000 by 31/07/14
    Debt - £1,400 - £1,784 by 1/01/14
    Swag - 0,764/4,949sb 0/4 by 25/12/14 Freebies 0/100
    Online Earnings - £0.00 /£100 Vouchers - £0/£100
  • Sligo
    Sligo Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    Week 3 done and just under budget at €449/€750. Off to do next week's big shop in A*di. Lot of complaints about the lack of "easy things to cook" from Himself so better buy something handy but cheap!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure