PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Leftover chicken recipes please

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks very much tine, I might well get one of those chicken stands, I know the one's you mean.

Our cooker does have a slow cooker setting too :T

Will try again next week with new found confidence :T :D
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I cook chickens for 20 mins per lb +30 mins.I've done a quick calculation and reckon your chicken was just under 3 lb.In which case I'd have given it one and a half hours at 180c-sorry not sure what that is in gas.I'm sure it was cooked enough,as tine said,the meat closest to the leg and thigh bones is dark red.Worry not :)
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Linda32 wrote:

Need I have worried, wasn't it long enough, has anyone worked out how to turn a chicken over half way through?

You *can* turn a chicken half way through, but it shouldn't be necessary. If you want to, you can cook it breast side down to begin with then turn it over. That is also a great way to cook a turkey because turkey can be quite a dry meat.

As stated above, I base my calculations on the old fashioned: 20mins per lb + 20mins. You could cook it with foil over the top and then remove the foil for the final 20mins to let the skin crisp up and golden.

When roasting a whole chicken, I tend to serve the brown meat for the meal and then save the breasts for other meals - simply because, I have a son who doesn't like his meat on the bone ( :confused: ) so if I serve up the sliced brown meat for him, somehow, leftover breast meat for another meal seems to appeal far more than left over brown :laugh:

Also, the chicken carcass can be used to make fabulous stock and chicken soup. Superior to stock cubes and no MSG or other questionable additives.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Queenie wrote:
    You *can* turn a chicken half way through, but it shouldn't be necessary. If you want to, you can cook it breast side down to begin with then turn it over. That is also a great way to cook a turkey because turkey can be quite a dry meat.

As stated above, I base my calculations on the old fashioned: 20mins per lb + 20mins. You could cook it with foil over the top and then remove the foil for the final 20mins to let the skin crisp up and golden.

When roasting a whole chicken, I tend to serve the brown meat for the meal and then save the breasts for other meals - simply because, I have a son who doesn't like his meat on the bone ( :confused: ) so if I serve up the sliced brown meat for him, somehow, leftover breast meat for another meal seems to appeal far more than left over brown :laugh:

Also, the chicken carcass can be used to make fabulous stock and chicken soup. Superior to stock cubes and no MSG or other questionable additives.

Yup I am now stock producer extraordinaire :D Chicken carcass, an onion chopped in half (skin and all), a couple of carrots roughtly chopped, any other veg like leek tops that are hanging about looking like they are in need of a purpose... some fresh herbs and stick in the slow cooker with water. Leave on low from I leave for work in the morning til whenever I get home. Strain and then put in fridge for fat to set hard on top. Remove and put pan on cooker and let reduce for an hour or more depending on what I want the stock for :) Then I can either make soup or reduce to a really thick stock to use instead of stock cubes (put in icetrays or icecube bags and freeze to keep for AGES :) )

As Hugh says in River Cottage it's positively rude to not make use of everything from an animal and I realised I must have been awfully rude over the years!!! :D Trying to make up for it now tho!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • finc
    finc Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    tine wrote:
    Remove and put pan on cooker and let reduce for an hour or more depending on what I want the stock for :) Then I can either make soup or reduce to a really thick stock to use instead of stock cubes (put in icetrays or icecube bags and freeze to keep for AGES :) )
    Thanks for the tip, I haven't been reducing it after letting the fat settle and thought it wasn't quite right. I'll try this next time.

It was only last week that I realised leaving it in the fridge would make the fat harden on top, I've been spending ages trying to skim :o. I'm still new to this OS lark ;)
    :smileyhea
  • MrsTinks
    Forumite
    Just make sure you get as much as possible out of the liquid with a sieve :) If you leave things in it like bits of chiken it CAN ruin the flavour of a reduced stock (as you end up over-cookign the meat) I usually remove the big bits, then stick in fridge and remove the fat THEN when i pour it in my pan to remove the last impurities I use a fine sieve :) some people say you should use a muslin cloth but I think that might be taking it a bit far though it is obviously up to you :D
    DFW Nerd #025

• D'oh, I didn't let my stock reduce once I'd skimmed the fat off, just chucked it in the freezer! Will it be ok to use or will it have been a waste?
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • katglasgow
    katglasgow Posts: 404
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    oh well I can beat that purpleprincess I didnt event skim the fat off mine. Just let it cool a bit then bunged straigh into freezer. I guess that means I will have very fatty soup? I wonder if I can skim it once it defrosts?
    Me debt free thanks to MSE :T
  • Thanks for that katglasgow!!! :rotfl:

I'm sure you could skim it off once slightly defrosted, be even harder then and easier to skim off! :p
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • MrsTinks
    Forumite
    Ahhh the wonder of stock :) If you don't reduce it it might be a little watery so you could thow in a chicken stock cube just to add to it when you heat it for soup :) If you tasted it before you froze it and it tasted like yummy soup then you won't need to do anythign you have ready frozen soup :)
    As for the fat then if there wasn't much fat in I wouldn't worry hugely about skimming it... I've left the fat in before when I have made chicken soup and in winter especially it's a very warm and nurishing soup IMHO.

So neither is wasted ;) Isn't stock wonderful?

I also use the stock for when I boil potatoes now and rice etc to make it a little more tasty then just cooking it in plain water :) You don't have to reduce it but it makes it easier to store I find :) And handy when you want to add a stock cube you can just add a home frozen stock icecube :)
    DFW Nerd #025

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport