PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Leftover chicken recipes please

Options

Comments

• Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    If you've frozen stock with the fat still on you should find that you can take it out of the freezer and scrape the fat off with a spoon as it doesn't go rock hard. It softens really quickly.

If you've frozen it without reducing it it's no problem, you can reduce it before you use it.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• **purpleprincess**
    Options
    How much should I reduce it by??? And so if I reduced it and then froze it into cubes could I just use them as though they were stock cubes?
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    How much should I reduce it by??? And so if I reduced it and then froze it into cubes could I just use them as though they were stock cubes?

Taste it and reduce it until it's quite strong.

Bought stock cubes are very concentrated and salty so you'll need more of the fresh stock to get a good flavour. I save mine in little tubs, about the size of a small cup.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• ellawood
    ellawood Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    I have just cooked a chicken for sunday lunch and I would like ideas to what to do with the leftovers i often do a eggfried rice with chicken and prawns but would like a new ideas
  • sweetmoneysaver
    Options
    You could make some sandwich fillings such as chicken mayo, adding in things like sweetcorn or bacon. Useful for tomorrow's lunch. Alternatively you could make a pasta bake incorporating the chicken. I add in things such as mushrooms and leeks if I have them in the house. Add in a quick white or cheese sauce to bind it all together. Don't forget that you can make stock from the bones which you can turn into a soup. You can always put some of the leftover chicken into the soup.
    Now debtfree except for the mortgage!
  • Thriftylady
    Thriftylady Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    If you're not put off by the idea of pastry, a chiken pie is great for using up the leftovers - I usually make up a thick white sauce, (putting a stock cube in along with the flour and butter before adding the milk), the stir in the bits of chicken and some sweetcorn and/or peas. Throw it all in a dish and cover with a disc of pastry and bake. If you serve it along with some salad its not too stodgy, and everyone I have ever fed it to has loved it, young and old !
  • megsykins
    megsykins Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    For the nicest risotto ever, pick all the leftover bits of meat off (even the tiny bits) and keep the carcass.
    Make stock from the carcass by covering it in boiling water and simmering for a few hours (check it regularly to ensure it doesn't boil dry). You can add any bits of veg / scraps, etc as well for extra flavour. Strain all the bits out and you're left with yummy (free!) stock.
    Cook some rice in the stock and mix in the leftover chicken. TaDa!!
    You can add some fried mushrooms or peas or other veg to the risotto as well if you want - play with it and stick whatever you like in!
    I have to admit that making risotto the next day is my favourite part of Sunday dinner - i love it sooooo much!!!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi ellawood,

There are lots of ideas that might help you on these older threads:

Making Chicken last

Rubber Chicken

Pink
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    fill a tortilla with strips of chicken and some salady things and mayo
  • purpleimp
    purpleimp Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    I always pick off the left over meat and dip in tempura batter and fry up, real chicken nuggets, and you know what goes into them rather than the green rebleached goo that ends up in the shop bought ones!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure