Looking for the silver lining

Options

Comments

• Bubblesmum
    Bubblesmum Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :grouphug:Sending you

Really sorry this weekend has been so challenging. Is there any other options thn BG for shower. Wish I could send you my friend who does all our jobs.

Is the care assessment lady going to find out about the swimming club for Mr SA if not, if you PM me your location will do some research for you.....

Love Mrs B
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding” or
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Or as my Mum would instil, brush yourself down, tomorrow is another day or
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Suddenly water started pouring from the kitchen ceiling. Ran upstairs to the bathroom where water was pouring from the electric shower. Mr SA fell over trying to switch the stopcock off, which he had just said I wouldn't be able to do as I am female (!!!!). Luckily DD was there and we got him up but was tempted to leave him on the floor after that comment! Fortunately (once again) we have British Gas plumbing care and they got someone out to us in less than an hour. The upshot is we need a new shower which is not covered :( but it could have been worse. We can't use the main kitchen light for 2 days until it's dried out, we have no shower and everywhere is soaked. The plumber also noticed our toilet is leaking which he very kindly tried to fix but we are covered for this so I need to get another appointment for proper fix.

Oh Sun.A - how awful! ..Always terrifying to see water pouring out of light-fittings! :eek:

Have you got a de-humidifier? If not, hire one for a couple of days to ensure everything dries out properly - including the expensive-to-fix hidden bits like beams, joists and wiring (especially as you don't know how long the toilet has been leaking too - oh Lord I hope from the cistern not the bottom end aargh!)..

Also very good luck sourcing a new shower asap - check out independent plumbers because BG will not be the most economic and maybe not the fastest solution (Homecare are great with the first visit, but every time they've had to return the wait is much longer even for insured items - in my experience anyway :o).

:grouphug:
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SA, whilst the shower itself won't be covered by home insurance (by which I don't mean Homecare), the remedial work will be... including hire of a de-humidifier, redecorating, steam-cleaning, replastering/painting ceiling, rewiring if necessary. That's what insurance is for. Have you got new-for-old cover? It could take a while for things to dry out enough to assess whether they need to be repaired or replaced. Definitely ring your insurers and get them to send out an assessor.
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,365 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all

BM - I did some research re swimming and local leisure centre has a scheme but you have to be referred by doctor.

Robin - we have a dehumidifier thankfully so that's on at the minute. Doesn't appear to be much damage done we managed to turn off the water a few minutes after leak started. Toilet is just cistern and not a big problem plumber said, just needs a new part.

Ended up getting local firm out to do shower. They fitted our present one a few years back and the good news is the price is still the same. They are coming out Friday so in the meantime I've bought a temporary shower, the sort you fit on the taps and it's ok so we'll manage until then.

Insurance wise - our kitchen ceiling has needed re plastering for a few years now after many years of battering from the bathroom above (DD not aiming shower right and past leaks). I doubt very much I'd have a valid claim as it's obviously past it's best. I was planning on getting it done when we get a new kitchen, we need new lighting and everything. It's a case of house maintenance has been neglected in favour of holidays.

First day back at work today was not too bad and I managed to get away just after 3.30 which got me home a lot earlier and I was actually able to fit in a 30 Day Shred session and have had time to relax a bit as well as sort Mr SA out.

Mr SA isn't very well today. He's been complaining of headache and generally feeling unwell. He's been very subdued and is in bed now. I'm trying not to worry just yet and I'm hoping he's just picked up a bug, but I'll monitor him closely. I tried to get him an appointment with the GP he prefers to see today but he is on holiday until next week. I've told him if he feels no better tomorrow he'll have to see another doctor.

Re the house I really need to look into getting a home improvement loan ASAP before it falls down around our ears. At a minimum it needs new boiler and radiators, kitchen, bathroom, some electrical work and the outside walls need repointing. ££££££££
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you know that the refurbishments could be VAT free? As Mr Sun is registered disabled. Something I only found out when we did our bathroom and asked for grab handles for mum. The designer quickly recalculated minus 20%, sweet.
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • grannyx2
    grannyx2 Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope he feels better tomorrow SA x
    Targets
    Trip to Australia (On hold until 2022 now) to meet new grandson born jan 21!

Lose 84lbs. Update (minus 65lbs mostly during lockdown as of 18.05.21)

LBM : July 11 - £56,962
    DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/3958715/return-to-solvency/p1
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Oh great; you're on the ball re plumbing repairs, Sun.A! :T

Do you think MrSA has picked up a bug from the recirculated air in the 'plane - timing is about right?
    ..Hope he feels brighter tomorrow.
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Thanks for the tip off Satchmo, I didn't know that.

Robin I'm hoping you're right. He feels no better today but I think he seems a bit brighter.

I finished work on time again today and managed to fit in menu planning. As Wednesday is online shop day decided to make Tuesday night menu plan night. I've realised I need to be home by 5pm to fit in all I need to do at night. No 30 Day Shred tonight, will do this again tomorrow. A bit stiff from yesterday's session. Managed to walk to and from work without getting too soaked today. Weather here has been a mixture of squally showers and nice sunshine, we appear to have missed the bad storms others have had.
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Mr SA not well still. He said he was sick this morning and has felt dizzy with double vision. I wanted to phone doctor but he said not yet. He seems ok at the moment and is watching TV. The annoying thing is our doctors are closed Thursday afternoon so if he's still no better when I get home from work tomorrow we'll have to wait until Friday unless of course he's worse in which case I'll take him to A&E. As I said he seems ok right now so fingers crossed.

Got home well before 5pm today so have had time to do another 30 Day Shred session plus sort out a couple of drawers in the bedroom long overdue. Mr M shop has been delivered and put away. Only a couple more food things to buy and we are set for the week. Meal plan is in action.
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Hope Mr SA is better tomorrow and it's just been a bug.

Well done you with the 30 day shred commitment :j Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills