Looking for the silver lining

Options

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,524 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello all thanks for your kind messages - believe me they are a huge help at the moment

Not a lot of change tonight - opened his eyes a bit and he's mouthing words. His nurse said his is responding quickly which is good. They have removed drain from his head and he had another CT scan today which they are hoping will show no need for drain to be put back. They say he's made very good progress in just a week.

Had a delivery from Mr T today - DD stayed in for it and has put everything away so this means I'll never be able to find anything! Can't believe I spent £92 for just the two of us - although this could have something to do with me taking advantage of a very good wine offer! Will need to start keeping a check on spending now that we are at least £1000 a month worse off as no sick pay for OH as he is self employed. However I will look into some sort of benefit for him as he must be entitled to something. He's been paying national insurance since he was 16.

Have been in touch with holiday insurance company and have now got claim form so will get this ball rolling.
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    He will be able to get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) for a start. Ring DWP tomorrow to get the ball rolling and explain he is in hospital and unable to do it himself. Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    I think we have just crossed posting on each other's diaries P!

Coincidently I saw an article today in our local paper about a charity that helps cancer sufferers with claiming benefits they didn't know they were entitled to so will look into this. We have never claimed a thing in our lives so this is foreign territory to me.
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    I know macmillan do a lot of work with cancer patients and helping them claim all the right benefits. DLA is a possibility too but is dependent on lots of factors. There is a benefits section of MSE which I found very helpful, alternatively google is your best friend!

Glad to hear DH is making improvements. How are you today? Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Not too bad. Went out for lunch with work friends. There are about 60 people in my office and someone said the whole place is rooting for me. Have had loads of offers of help. I'm sleeping better and eating more -.have developed a craving for maltesers for some reason (too old to be pregnant so don't get ideas!). Also finding a nightly glass of red wine is calming me down - will be an alcoholic soon at this rate but at the moment I'm doing whatever I feel is helping me get through it. I work with someone who used to work in DWP and she has printed off some info for me. Thanks P.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing useful to say but ((hugs)) Make sure you look after yourself too xx
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Not too bad. Went out for lunch with work friends. There are about 60 people in my office and someone said the whole place is rooting for me. Have had loads of offers of help. I'm sleeping better and eating more -.have developed a craving for maltesers for some reason (too old to be pregnant so don't get ideas!). Also finding a nightly glass of red wine is calming me down - will be an alcoholic soon at this rate but at the moment I'm doing whatever I feel is helping me get through it. I work with someone who used to work in DWP and she has printed off some info for me. Thanks P.

This is all very good SA xx Malteasers are apparently the lighter way to enjoy chocolate (although in the volume I eat them I doubt it!)

We are all rooting for you too, you and your lovely OH and family

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Good to hear DH's condition is improving faster than expected Sun.A, and that you've got lots of RL support. :)

Do let everyone help you; in the weeks ahead you'll need all the energy that their efforts save you. Rest whenever the opportunity arises, and don't forget that you need a little time to 'switch off' - I found dog walking ideal (and also provides an opportunity for brief conversations with fellow dog walkers that never touch on hospital, illness and the uncertainties that now fill most of your waking hours).

Nowt wrong with a glass or two to help wind down in the evening either (saw MrT's offer; would have gone for it m'self had it been possible. ;)).
  • tunathe_cat
    Options
    Thinking of you and hubby - hubby is in the medical care at the moment so dont forget to look after you . If you would like when the time is ready for you can introduce you to a brain tumour carer group uk - its a closed group on facebook for us carer to ask let of steam without the whole world knowing.
    Hubby was also self emplyed - because of seizure with his b. tumour he was told he had to surrender driving license - not good as he was a taxi driver! I can recomend you keep notes times who you spoke to ext and brief notes as you often will have to return calls and you never speak to the same person / office even country and each person will give differnt account about the same information. If possibl speak with most senior named person and have their tel number email them and keep writen paperwork trail...
    Good luck for the future take care
    Andrea
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Thanks Andrea - I read your PM last night.

I've set the ball rolling by contacting DWP and they are sending out a form which he will need to sign (ahem - at the moment I don't think so!!!!). He will be entitled to ESA apparently. We'll see what happens. They had a very brusque telephone manner I thought at DWP.

Just at a time when every time my mobile rings my heart leaps into my mouth I keep getting calls from nPower wanting me to do a customer survey and also a PPI place keep ringing me even though I've told them I've never had PPI. Feel like giving them a piece of my mind.

Will be going to see OH later on today so hoping to see some small improvement on yesterday. Anything is a bonus at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure