Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping - Page 56

New Post Advanced Search

Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.1K replies 271.3K views

Replies

• AinatAinat Forumite
    116 posts
    If the apple pies are fresh and have never been frozen I don't see why you couldn't freeze them. My nan 'batch cooks' pies from scratch (including apple ones) fairly often, and freezes them. That is of course her making them, and knowing the ingredients are all fresh, etc.

On packets it does normally state if something is freezeable, or states 'not suitable for home freezing' on them somewhere. I personally would freeze them, but it's your call.

I managed to get 50% off salmon today. But I was in Tesco a little early for the best deals I reckon.
    Save in 2014 Challenge: #193 £4,197.70/£5000
  • mon37mon37 Forumite
    416 posts
    Please can someone tell when is the best time to go for Waitrose reduced bargains.
  • dlusmandlusman Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    mon37 wrote: »
    Please can someone tell when is the best time to go for Waitrose reduced bargains.

As most have said a few times on this thread , there is no one answer to cover everything even within the same chain. Different stores work differently depending on what works for them.
    The only way to do it is to do your own research. Start by going along 2 hours before the store closes and then move forward or back depending on what you see happening.
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the Waitrose ys shopping myWaitrose members 10% off thing generally well known now?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Ainat wrote: »
    My local Tesco's at the min are all 24 hrs... So I will have to do some research to find out when they do their reductions. :)

My local Tesco is a 24 hr one and they do last reductions in the 7.30-8.30pm window. I go there twice a week at 8pm, sometimes I miss the best of the reductions, sometimes there's a mob in front of the reduced counters, sometimes I come out with a trolley load. It's not an exact science but I need to go to Tesco once a week anyway (some things there I can't get in other local shops) and it's a convenient time for me. So overall I can get some pretty good deals.

Local 24 Asda (hate the place) does it's reductions at 7-7.30pm. In my experience though the crowd in front of the counter is pretty vicious in Asda!

Local M&S shuts at 8pm, best deals are around 7.30pm. I only pass there once a month at that time but I always go in, the deals aren't 10p ones but you can get some really nice things.

You just have to be persistent and keep your eyes open. You don't have to go extra trips to do the YS run though, you can do your normal shopping at the same time. I get all my basics at Lidl btw, I refuse to pay Tesco prices for things like milk and eggs!
    Val.
  • CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I finish early, I'll often take my DD's for a coffee/meal out in the town we live, leave them with the owners (personal friends) for 20 minutes, then follow the lady around Sainsburys with the price reducing machine.

This is generally around 5.30pm.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
  • MeeMee Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    dlusman wrote: »
    As most have said a few times on this thread , there is no one answer to cover everything even within the same chain. Different stores work differently depending on what works for them.
    The only way to do it is to do your own research. Start by going along 2 hours before the store closes and then move forward or back depending on what you see happening.

Also, take into account that some employees will do their 'own thing''. I was once in Asda earlier than usual by chance and a young guy on the meat/fish/ready meals reduction section decided to reduce everything to 10p. I mentioned I never get Sea Bass for that price, and in reply he said he just wanted to go home early!:)
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • Mr T

(this is from 2 different trips within the last week
    but I´ll just list it all together)

Muller Corner Yogurts (4 pack) 40p

Yeo organic Milk 1 litre 15p

1.3 litre whole fat milk 13p

T`s finest ham 15p, bought 4 packs, they had LOADS, thats probably why it was reduced so low.

Tropicana orange Juice 36p

Hovis bread 11p

Rhubarb pie 15p

Scones 15p

Stir fry mix 10p

Carrots 18p

Broccoli, carrots and sprouts mix 10p

Halloween bucket of Haribo gummy´s, found it in the reduced Christmas section, it didnt have a price on it so I took it to the till and asked how much it was. The cashier put it through and couldnt believe that it was 1 p. She asked a collegue who confirmed it, so I got 600 grams of gummy´s for 1p. Not bad :-)

Wa*tr*se:

Got a kilo of leeks for 25p the other night, made a good soup out of it today.

I also found 6 organic free range eggs for 65 p.

All in all, I´m really pleased with this, I love hunting for yellow stickers.
  • I find MR S is usually consistent with the 7.30-8pm window I make an effort once a week to go to a large one and they have some great reductions I usually stock up on my bread, rolls, croissants as they usually reduce to about 20p. I usually manage to feed a family of 5 breakfast and packed lunch on about £2-3 by doing this and obviously adding eggs/ham etc into the equation.

MR T at the moment seems slim pickings and I find the one local to me reduce when they feel like it, you seem to get some people who camp out in the cafe all day waiting for the reductions so it can become a bit ruthless.

MR M I find they do a 50% reduction around 1-2pm which is still good as a lot of fresh meat gets put out at this time.

M&S there is a petrol station with M&s attached and they do one huge reduction at around 8.30-9pm but it is well worth it if I make the effort as they tend to reduce everything down to 50p although you end up having a bit of a stand off with the staff!!! I think this is why this particular store do it at this time, when its quiet and so the staff can have first pick, although I dont totally agree I suppose its a perk for them.

Being a yellow sticker hunter has cut my shopping down from £500/600 a month for 5 to hopefully fingers crossed this month £115. (including household goods!)

It takes planning and a lot of freezing but we are eating practically the same as we always have and my kids end up with a good balance of food.
  • Nice haul for the freezer in coop
    2 Salmon fillets x 2 £2
    Bags of apples (for the juicer) 13p each x 3
    A couple of ready meals for DH £1.78
    Spring onions 0.10p
    I'm C, Mummy to DS 29/11/2010 and DD 02/11/2013

Overdraft PAID OFF
    CC PAID OFF
    GC Sept £141.17/200