Flight delay compensation, all other EU airlines

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have the time and inclination I suggest you write a letter of complaint to the CAA, outlining your lengthy slog to gain what you were due.
    Although CAA are not directly responsible for your flight as it originated outside of UK, they should be made aware of the continued regular poor and frankly unlawful behaviour of airlines.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Daniel1990
    Options
    Hi All, I have for many years used this website but didn't realise what a huge source of information this forum was.

I wanted to join the discussion as I have a potential issue with Air Portugal and needed some advice on how best to handle the situation.

I have since September had flights booked via a travel agency for May 2018.

Flights depart London Heathrow at 6am stop for 1 hour in Lisbon then continue to Cape Verde arriving early afternoon.

Air Portugal have last week cancelled the second part of the flight so that the journey would now be
    Depart Heathrow at 6am stop 11 hours in Lisbon and arrive in Cape Verde at midnight.

The agency are saying I can only have a refund or the same flights the following day. I have asked to be rebooked to a new airline flying at a similar time which there is availability. Again I was toldnot possible and to contact the airline.

I contact the airline who say it's a travel agency fair and I need to speak to the booking agency.

I advise the airline that should I accept the new flights I wish to submit a delay claim. But have been told that because it is more than 14 days before departure I won't be eligible.

Can someone please let me know if the above is correct and where possible what rights I have. I have researched online for some days but couldn't find the absolute answer and just wanted to make sure.

Many thanks in advance
  • Daniel1990
    Options
    :jForgot to subscribe
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    have a search for "Vauban's Guide"
    Schedule changes happen...end March is the changeover to the summer timetable so airlines will be confirming schedules/slots around now
    The airline is correct that there is no EU261 compensation payable if more than 14 days notice is given.
    Are there later flights to LIS with TAP that will reduce the layover?
    Would the refund cover the flights with other airline?
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have fallen foul of a much wider problem which is that airlines’ terms and conditions allow them to make changes or even cancel fights without penalty ( other than a refund) provided they give reasonable notice. On the other hand, if you book a flight their conditions don’t allow you to cancel without penalty even if you give plenty of notice, if you’ve booked a “supereconomy” type of fare. This seems quite unfair.
  • Daniel1990
    Options
    That's quite shocking but I suppose something valuable to learn when booking in advance.

They have offered us a flight which alllows us to arrive in Lisbon later than planned and therfore less stop over.

The other airline has more expensive tickets about £150 pp which would depart and arrive at the same sort of times.

The hotel we have booked would charge a cancellation fee of the 1st night of around £150.

Is it right to expect that the airline will cover my cancellation fee if I decide to scrap the holiday and take their refund. From your previous reply I doubt it.
    Thank you both for your advice
  • moneysaverz83
    Options
    Hi

My flight home to the uk from the States was delayed over four hours due to late incoming aircraft. This should have entitled me to 600euros or whatever compensation.

I filled in the Norwegian air online form. They said 'extraordinary' circumstances, no explanation.

I filled in a couple quick flight delay checker forms with Bott and co or whoever, and they came back as me being entitled.

I wrote a letter to Norway before Christmas, and filled in an online contact form, stating EC261/2004 rules and the fact that late incoming aircraft is not extraordinary circumstances etc and they I'll be taking further action.

No reply to my letter, but again, said

'
    Thank you for your response.

We appreciate that our response may not offer the outcome you were seeking, however we do trust that we have clarified the reason for the outcome of your claim. We certainly hope that this experience will not deter you from choosing to include Norwegian in any future travel plans.
    Norwegian informs that you have the ability to appeal our decision through the national enforcement body of the country where the disruption occurred. Contact information can be found at the following website.... which was ec Europa but I can't post links
    Kind regards,'

I don't fancy handing over my claim, and therefore part of my compensation over to a third party, are there any other options?:(
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    re post on the already well developed Norwegian airlines thread.
    Starting your own personal makes the bard very cluttered and unusable.
    Now downlaod Vauban's most superb guide and you will find most if not all, of your answers there.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • _Anna_
    _Anna_ Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear all,
    Bott has just told me "I can advise we would have jurisdiction if the first leg of the journey from MAN to HEL had effected your journey. However, since you were delayed at your final destination because of the disruption to the second leg of the journey from HEL to HKG, unfortunately we cannot help you on this occasion." Since it was a single booking, I was under impression that Bott has jurisdiction. Could anyone clarify this confusion? Anyway, if Bott does not want to continue with my case, do you know a solicitor who may help?
  • Justice13075
    Options
    Try EuClaim
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family