We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Flight delay compensation, all other non-EU airlines

Options

Comments

• PomBear
    PomBear Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    If there is more than one claimant, technically you do need to make a paper claim.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    PomBear wrote: »
    If there is more than one claimant, technically you do need to make a paper claim.

Yes, your correct there but sometimes the DJ will just make the required changes in court, but that shouldn’t be taken as a given, and in my case, J2 tried to have my case thrown out, because I’d made this school boy error by using MCOL for two claimants.

OFF TOPIC - I’ll update the Bott & Co thread ASAP about my recent delay, sadly my other half is in hospital right now having bone marrow taken from her hip and placed inside her ankle, she’ll be in pot for a few weeks, so I won’t be around as much as I’d like to be.

Cheers,

NoviceAngel

Ps shame my last post for a while couldn’t have been in my home, come on J2 delay a few more passengers! :j
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • peter_333
    peter_333 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ps shame my last post for a while couldn’t have been in my home, come on J2 delay a few more passengers! :j
    Thanks for taking the time, and all my best for things getting better quickly.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Regards to Mrs Angel here's to a quick recovery.
  • PomBear
    PomBear Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    Same here, Novice. Sending Mrs Novice best wishes for a speedy recovery!
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmm, can we stop with all the sympathy please, it serves herself B100dy right, she went jumping off garage roofs when she was a little naughty girl, so it serves herself right!

I do appreciate and will pass on all your wishes though.

I’m waiting for confirmation that she’s out of surgery, then I suppose I better go and visit and show some concern ;) :A
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • mrkjd
    mrkjd Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve just read the MSE article on Flight Delay Compo. I often fly on Etihad or Emirates to the Middle East from U.K. Do these flights count as “originating in EU” as the ticket was purchased and the outward legs were from U.K. or would the return portion from the ME not come under EU scheme?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi mrkjd.
    This is one area where the regulation is quite clear, to a point.
    EU or non-EU airline departing an EU airport = claim possible.
    EU airline departing non EU airport = claim possible.
    Non EU airline departing non EU airport = NO claim.
    So Emirates from ME would not result in a claim, unless the later leg, if multiflight, was from an EU airport to the UK and suffered a delay/cancellation/DB.

That would then raise the issue of whether the whole journey counts for claim purposes or just the EU leg.
    This depends on the interpretation of the regulation and possibly the Gahan v Emirates case.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • billbongbang
    Options
    My family and I were delayed on our return flight from Sri Lanka with Emirates. The first delay was 14 hours and the second (substituted flight) was 6.5 hours. Our onward flight stopover in Dubai was 5 hours. Journey time from Colombo airport to home was 47 hours. Frustrating and exhausting. Emirates took 2.5 months to respond to our complaint and offered token 'airmiles' worth approx 20% of the equivalent EU compensation. I complained again - ignored.
    We are not eligible for EU compensation but after such a miserable experience I am prepared to go to the small claims court. I realise this will involve a good deal of effort and expense which is fine unless the amount of compensation the court may award is likely to be low. If it is then it will not register with a large company like Emirates. It may not do so anyway but it is worth the attempt. I cannot find any indicators of what level of compensation the court awards in these, non EU, cases. If any helpful souls have had experience of the court system in non EU flight cases any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    what costs did you incur during the delay? (I assume this is the figure you are hoping to claim) have you looked at your travel insurance? As you know EU261 does not apply for your journey so, unless there is a similar law for UAE/Sri Lanka re compensation or anything in the Emirates conditions of carriage you will be offered a goodwill gesture (of some miles)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure