Flight delay compensation, US and Canadian Airlines

Options

Comments

• marcowil
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    What! No screws in Belfast?
    Thats what we thought!!
    We sat on the plane for over 2 hours, then in the departure lounge for another 5 hours before they actually cancelled the flight. All of that time was supposedly searching for the part.
    The Daily Mail
    Tagline - "Why let the truth get in the way of a story to incense Middle England"
  • marcowil
    marcowil Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm still hoping for some advice guys - and have just had another reply from United rejecting our claim

These are the two replies we have received from United.

Do you think we still have a case to go ahead wuth Small Claims (there are nine of us in total so its going to cost a couple of hundred pounds to do so)?

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r647/marcowil65/united1streply_zpse235519d.jpg
    http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r647/marcowil65/united2ndreply_zpsb9ee0480.jpg
    The Daily Mail
    Tagline - "Why let the truth get in the way of a story to incense Middle England"
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    marcowil wrote: »
    Do you think we still have a case to go ahead wuth Small Claims (there are nine of us in total so its going to cost a couple of hundred pounds to do so)?

Can't see the attachments at the moment.

If there are 9 of you it will be more than a couple of hundred pounds if it goes as far as a hearing.
  • marcowil
    marcowil Posts: 687 Forumite
    Options
    David_e wrote: »
    Can't see the attachments at the moment.

If there are 9 of you it will be more than a couple of hundred pounds if it goes as far as a hearing.
    I realise it will cost more if it gets to hearing, but that will still likely work out less than handing it a claims firm (min 20% fee)
    The Daily Mail
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    marcowil wrote: »
    I realise it will cost more if it gets to hearing, but that will still likely work out less than handing it a claims firm (min 20% fee)

Indeed - just thought you might have got hold of the wrong figures. At the end of the day, if you take the case yourself, you should get the court fees back anyway.

To be fair, I am still in the middle of my case and when I think how many hours I am spending on it, maybe a no win no fee lawyer would have been the right thing. The rest of my party are laughing mind you; I'm doing all the work!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bumped to keep it above flotsam and clutter...
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    just had a reply from KLM ref my denied boarding back in Oct,

they have offered me 300 euros cash each or 500 euros e voucher each, I have asked if the evoucher has any catches as that is appealing.

anyone have any opinions
  • DEXTERFAN
    Options
    Hi looking for some advice on a connecting flight we were on from Orlando airport to Newark(NJ) in august 2008 with continental airlines(both ways).
    Im not sure if I can claim but thought I would find out.
    basically myself my partner and my then 7yr old son went on holiday to florida back in aug 2008, fine going out there , but on return we had problems. whilst on the flight from Orlando to get our connecting flight at Newark airport which would then take us to Heathrow, there was a bad thunderstorm and were told we were unable to land until it had cleared, we circled for 1-2 hours and finally landed where upon we ran to the otherside of the airport to try and get our flight back to London but were told that we had missed it and that the next flight back to London wasn't until the next day !! we had to queue for hours to find out if we could get a hotel where we were told no there were none left and were given $80 vouchers for food and drink , and had to sleep(if you can call it that) in the airport on very hard chairs which isn't good bearing in mind we had our 7yr old boy with us who was very upset and who also had a hard chair to sleep on
    we eventually got our flight home but on arrival we then had to pay to hire a car to get home to Wales as we had missed our coach ride the day before because of the flight delay.
    At the time we had travel insurance with Barclays bank so I wrote to them and spoke to them explaining everything and filled in a form they sent us with all the proof they wanted , but were told we were not entitled to claim anything as the flight was not a direct one to London it was a connecting one ? I still have all the details and boarding passes ect so am I entitled to claim ?
    thanks
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You were on a non-EU airline on a flight departing from outside the EU so the EU compensation does not apply.
    Had you been on an EU airline , as the delay was due to weather there would have been no claim apart from the reimbursement of hotel/food etc
  • jackouk
    Options
    Hi marcowil, I similarly had a delayed flight with United and received similar letters to you. The flight was delayed due to a technical error on the previous flight so United didn't really have a leg to stand on. Still, they tried to claim 'extraordinary circumstances' which seems to be par for the course. I ended up going through MCOL, at first United rejected my claims to the court but after a couple of emails to customer service citing the Wallentin-Hermann case they responded saying that they would pay up. They still refused to admit liability though, which makes you wonder why they agreed to pay!

If you are OK with going down the MCOL route as I was, then I would proceed with the case for just one person and see how that goes. If United settle out of court then you can just follow up with the other eight cases , requesting similar compensation for those passengers. If it does go to court and you win, then again, United would have no defence against settling with the other eight passengers too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback