🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE's Cheap Energy Club: Discuss & feedback

Options

Comments

• Reedybobs
    Options
    yeribe wrote: »
    This looks to be a great idea. I've just registered, but, after having entered my Kwh usage for both gas and electricity in the sign up page, taking the figures from the eOn website for my account it shows 580kWh gas for 2012 and electricity as 174kWh for 2012. when I finished entering my details it shows me a comparison based on my annual payments for gas and electricity as £87.36. My monthly direct debit to eOn is £133.00. Is it me getting it wrong or has anybody else seen a similar problem?

I put my KWH details in and it seemed to suggest the costs were about double of what I am paying and expecting to pay, I have checked with new rates etc but there is just no way, putting in the costs I pay instead suggested the savings were marginal, there is something not quite right about the calculations.

Ensure you give your anticipated costs on current tarriff a sense check before using!
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    seanhalley wrote: »
    Thanks MSE, this is a step toward helping us. But I feel that the biggest frustration and injustice for consumers is the length of tariff.

18 months or 24 months is just too long, and too late if you realise a couple of months in that you're overpaying.

What we need is for the regulator to step in and allow us to change tariffs with a 2 month notice period and NO early leaving fees.

Until then it's a lottery. A lottery that comes round every 18 months.

Anyone agree?

Not really.

I happily fixed my rates back in August last year until April 2014
    Actually there are no early exit fees for me.

But if there were, what's £30 here or there as an early exit fee? You could probably recover this as cashback if you find a better supplier.

(No currently available tariff even comes close to the prices I fixed at :beer:)
  • topgranny
    Options
    aloiseb wrote: »

The only thing is, there's nowhere to factor in the Tesco Clubcard points I get from using my current supplier EON. I get about 110 clubcard points a month, which I use annually to buy RAC cover. (roadside and recovery is £32 in points) As I don't shop that much at Tesco, except petrol, I need these points...

Therefore I've set my advice point to be £100 savings as anything less than that will probably lose me money. I already lost out on my clubcard deal this time by not having quite enough for Roadside, Recovery and At home...(£48 in Tesco poins) as it's £64 :eek: to add this extra cover on.

Memo: must buy all petrol at Tesco all year.....I wish I liked their food better.

QUOTE]

Did you know that you only get half points on Tesco fuel? The last time I had a "double points" coupon I asked at the petrol station if I could use it on fuel. They told me, yes, but that the points given on fuel had been reduced after the last "double points" promotion in-store.
    :rudolf: Always skip and eat your peas :rudolf:
  • Wywth
    Options
    Comberspud wrote: »
    Forgive me if someone has already asked (I haven't read all the posts).

Is the Cheap Energy Club available for those of us in Northern Ireland? It doesn't seem to recognise my poscode and I'm wonding if it's a glitch or if it's because it doesn't cover NI.

Thanks

Carla

No, I don't know of any UK comparison site that caters for this online, do you?

You only have about 10 maximum possible suppliers/tariffs to choose from anyway, all of which are unique to NI.
  • Wywth
    Options
    pops272 wrote: »
    I have just switched to a fixed rate with Scottish Power through the club which I think is excellent. Can someone tell me does this mean when it is active I can use as much gas and electric as I want?

Yes (within reason) but you will pay for it at the prices specified in your tarrif
  • Wywth
    Options
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    I almost signed up but it wants my address and I don't know why. Is it going to bombard with me spam in the post or sell my details? At the side it says "why we need your address" and expalins it by saying it needs the postcode. A postcode is not the whole address so explanation not relevant. So.. why do you need the whole address?

MSE Martin has assured us we won't be.

... but better than that, he is looking into why it needs the address anyway, and says he'll get rid of the requirement if it's not necessary :T
    (but he thinks it is :()
  • Wywth
    edited 7 February 2013 at 2:53PM
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    This point is answered in the other thread by MSE Jamie http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4431051

Which brings me to another point why are MSE running two threads covering basically the same thing?

Wrong link? I see no posts by MSE Jamie there. :huh:

This is the thread Martin posted in:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4427757
    (post #42)
  • Wywth
    Options
    Knead2No wrote: »
    Hi,

Was thinking of joining your cheap energy club but found I can’t get quotes because I use LPG, this is bulk by the way, a very large tank in our garden, my latest bill is £640, the last top up I had was 24 weeks ago. In the email they said they couldn’t quote for BOTTLED gas. We use Calor UK Ltd., and according to their website they have a deal with Scottish Power, there is a link from their site to Scot Power but when you try to get a quote, once again “Calor” doesn’t appear in their drop down box. Do you know if anyone else has this kind of trouble or is there a provider out there who is happy to quote for LPG and electricity? I have calculated that I spend about £25.50 per week on LPG and £14 per week on electricity. I don’t know if this is reasonable or not but there are only two of us, I’m retired and my husband will only qualify for pension in the middle of this year. Do I just have to try and get good separate deals from each provider. :(

You should be able to use the site for electricity ... unless you generate this yourelf! :cool:

LPG is discussed on another board entirely:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78
  • LittleXplosion
    Options
    Hi Money Saving Experts,

I joined ther BETA Cheap Energy Club today and would like to report a couple of bugs I have found with the site:
    - I could not find a link anywhere on the site to report any bugs that I found (that's why I am posting on here and hope it is passed on).
    - I wanted to change the details in the "Energy Club Monitoring Info" box on my home page but could not find how to i.e I wanted to change the "How I'd like to pay" option to see how it effects my quotes.

Apologies if I am being blind for either of these.

The Club is a good idea. Keep up the good work.
  • Wywth
    Options
    SSS999 wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Could I suggest that the Cheap Energy Club offers advice to members on what to do if they are paying a much higher monthly direct debit amount than the calculator says they should?[/FONT]

Contact your supplier, ask them for a full breakdown of why they think you should pay what they are asking, and if you still don't agree, give them what figure you think the amount should be with your reasoned arguments.

Sorted :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family