MSE's Cheap Energy Club: Discuss & feedback

Options

Comments

• chris-j
    chris-j Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Dont want to put damper on things but this is just what other comparison sites do except for the constant reminder (which you can easily do yourself).
    Just dont get the benefit since it takes 4 - 6 weeks to change anyway so monthly reminders pointless.
    As to comments about Spark Energy, on uswitch they were cheapest for me as well but the constantly having to be month ahead struck me as a way for them to penalise customers in some way so put off right away.
  • SSS999
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Could I suggest that the Cheap Energy Club offers advice to members on what to do if they are paying a much higher monthly direct debit amount than the calculator says they should?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I have just registered and put my details into the calculator. I read both my meters every week so I know exactly how much gas and electricity I have used in the last year. I’m on the best deal at the moment, but the calculator says I should be paying £31 a month, and I’m actually paying £116! I am going to contact my provider (Scottish Power), but in my experience they are usually very reluctant to reduce the monthly direct debit amount. Is there any way I can use the Cheap Energy Club calculator as leverage in my discussion with them?[/FONT]
  • Flydrive
    Flydrive Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just checked mine - the 'best' supplier was noted as reviewing prices in April so a bit risky allowing 6 weeks to swap!. What would be VERY useful is to include the dates of the last price increase and the next review/increase date, if known, for all suppliers?
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    My EDF Blue+ Price Promise September 2013 indicates no exit fees to change supplier. The MSE cheap energy club says it costs £70.00. Who is correct?
    I originally changed to the Blue+ after reading content on MSE and the "no exit fee" was promoted.

Energy club does confirm that I am on the best deal at the moment however.
    J
  • Twiddy
    Twiddy Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    An excellent idea MSE and it appears I'm already on the best deal with Scottish Power fixed until July 2013. There was a £27/yr saving with Spark who having now read all of these posts won't be getting touched with bus bar!! Having said that there is a £51 penalty to come away from SP so it's a no brainer to stay with them until July. One comment I do have is that why doesn't the site just compare rates, standard charges etc...with another suppliers rates/standing charges? You would then know that you could make a saving moving to a supplier regardless of usage, correct me if I'm wrong......

I won't say I'll rely on this service in it's entirety but I'll sure use it is a trigger to go shopping.......
    Current Mortgage: £113,829
    Standard MF Date: May 2030
    MFW Target Date: Jun 2023
    On Target to complete: Feb 2027
  • Pentris
    Pentris Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It seems to be a very good idea. I tried with my details but it failed to quote anything from SSE even though I am currently with them via Atlantic. Also I am on a deal that refunds 1/12th of the costs per year. It does not seem possible to factor this in to the responses so the savings are not as good as the quotes appear.
  • TheSaltMan
    Options
    Interesting reading and initially very pleased with the idea because I do not have to keep digging out my utility details and re-entering them when I want to check.
    Here's some points for consideration;
    1. The site says it is a Beta version but there's nowhere to report bugs, email screen shots etc for those who have a problem.
    for example, I went to edit the amount of saving that triggers an email but it doesn't save that change.
    2. Is there a way for MSE to remind us when our supplier says they are going to alter their prices on ??/??/?? whatever date? I find it extremely frustrating that the supplier just estimates a meter reading on rate change day to arbitrarily change the rates over when we could just as easily read the meter and submit those readings for an accurate charge
  • Ginger_Nut
    Options
    A big thank you to all at MSE I have join up and I can't do any thing at the mo as I have an £3o exit fee (British gas)
    I signed after I have my latest bill in previously BG have tried to put my DD up to over £110 a month just for electricity and being un-employed I just couldn't afford that I thought to my self its ok for them to talk about putting my bill up your sitting in a warm call centre answering my call so therefore you have a job and they just didn't under stand at how tight money is when your on the dole
    I got my bill in the other day and to my shock its going down by nearly 50% a month
    But I am looking forward to being able to use this in the near future
    I also told my Dad to sign up :)
    Don't forget you can donate 24 Felix tokens to help feed a cats protection cat/kitten that's in care
    their are loads of cats/kittens awaiting there forever home
    don't forget the the oldies who are just as much fun

Dropping a brand going great :D thanks Martin and team
  • yeribe
    Options
    This looks to be a great idea. I've just registered, but, after having entered my Kwh usage for both gas and electricity in the sign up page, taking the figures from the eOn website for my account it shows 580kWh gas for 2012 and electricity as 174kWh for 2012. when I finished entering my details it shows me a comparison based on my annual payments for gas and electricity as £87.36. My monthly direct debit to eOn is £133.00. Is it me getting it wrong or has anybody else seen a similar problem?
  • davebeetham
    Options
    Hi All

The header says it all.

I could not select the tariff I am on from the pulldown list because all that contained was 'select' and nothing else.
    I could select 'Southern Electric' as the supplier from another pulldown list but not the 'Argos energyplus' tariff as no 'Southern Electric' tariff's appeared!

Also, I could not report the error(s) to Martin, [EMAIL="'admin'@moneysavingexpert.com"]'admin'@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].... etc so can I do so here?

My attempt to join the group failed as a result.. If the error can be corrected I shall have another go at joining.

Many Thanks and keep up the good work helping us to 'stretch' a penny of buying power into a £'s worth!!

Kind regards.

David Beetham
    Luton/EGGW/LTN
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills