MSE's Cheap Energy Club: Discuss & feedback

Options

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Flydrive wrote: »
    What would be VERY useful is to include the dates of the last price increase and the next review/increase date, if known, for all suppliers?

Try this :)

http://www.energyhelpline.com/cashbackmse/fri/domesticenergy/Domestic/GetHelp?reference=fhl_priceincreases_1
  • Wywth
    Options
    Jennifer wrote: »
    My EDF Blue+ Price Promise September 2013 indicates no exit fees to change supplier. The MSE cheap energy club says it costs £70.00. Who is correct?
    I originally changed to the Blue+ after reading content on MSE and the "no exit fee" was promoted.

Energy club does confirm that I am on the best deal at the moment however.
    J

I can confirm there are no early termination fees applicable to that tariff should you elect to leave it early :)

http://www.edfenergy.com/products-services/for-your-home/documents/product-terms/BPPS13.pdf (page#3)
  • Wywth
    Options
    TheSaltMan wrote: »
    Interesting reading and initially very pleased with the idea because I do not have to keep digging out my utility details and re-entering them when I want to check.
    Here's some points for consideration;
    1. The site says it is a Beta version but there's nowhere to report bugs, email screen shots etc for those who have a problem.
    for example, I went to edit the amount of saving that triggers an email but it doesn't save that change.
    I think that is partly the purpose of this feedback thread :)
    TheSaltMan wrote: »
    2. Is there a way for MSE to remind us when our supplier says they are going to alter their prices on ??/??/?? whatever date? I find it extremely frustrating that the supplier just estimates a meter reading on rate change day to arbitrarily change the rates over when we could just as easily read the meter and submit those readings for an accurate charge
    Your supplier should be the one informing you when a price change is announced ;)
    You can always supply a meter reading on that date if you want a more accurate bill.
    (With the roll-out of smart meters, due to start next year, estimated bills should become a thing of the past anyway)

This cheap energy club will inform you if there is ever a cheaper tariff (subject to alert limit you set) for you for whatever reason.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My tariff (SSE better plan economy 10) is not in the drop down box does this mean I cannot use this service?
  • Wywth
    edited 7 February 2013 at 4:12PM
    Options
    peat wrote: »
    My tariff (SSE better plan economy 10) is not in the drop down box does this mean I cannot use this service?

Correct.

And I would urge you not even to attempt to change supplier in your situation
    (as you appear to have been advised previously, 2 years ago, by another poster) :cool:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3000504
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Its a great idea, will be interesting to see if it continues to work though..

All it is doing is encouraging "churning" which is something the energy companies have been trying to discourage, if this really takes off I would expect the energy companies to retaliate by imposing bigger exit fees etc.

Personally I'll stick to looking myself..
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • lyndamb
    lyndamb Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I am not convinced by the saving with my details that I entered. I agree with other postings just compare rates, standard charges etc. with other suppliers rates/standing charges? You would then know that you could make a saving moving to a supplier regardless of usage. I thought being a pensioner would mean life would be relaxing and simpler but I spend days of my life comparing prices of everything just to save a few pounds here and there. How young people both working and with families manage I do not know.
  • europa1557
    Options
    I joined the Club today, and got my dual fuel quotes (cheaper and dearer) for all available tariffs. NONE of them were from British Gas or Southern Electric, my current suppliers. Where are they? Since I have gas with BG and electricity from Southern, I would expect to see a saving with a dual fuel deal with either of them, so WHY AREN'T THEY THERE?
  • skkamh
    Options
    We use a lot of gas and elec in our house, so were delighted to find that we could save £18 per month using Spark, according to the "Cheap Energy Club". But when I went to their site and entered my data directly then they priced my usage at £45 per month more than we pay at EON.

Another bright idea bites the dust...

Specifically: my postcode is CW8
    Current supplier (no pun intended) is EON
    elec kwh 6,917 per year
    gas kwh 60,766 per year

Maybe error is because Spark have a daily standing charge? Or because they quote prices net of VAT?

But anyway, their feedback doesn't seem too hot...
  • kas65uk
    Options
    Just here to give my feedback :

There were savings to be had but not great ones ...so yay me :j
    Like many others, Sparks seemed to offer big savings to me but I went and looked on forums and felt it best not to go near them:eek:

When I scrolled down the suggested list I realised there were better savings to be had with current supplier (e-on) by changing to a different plan. I double checked e-on's website before swapping and it looks like we will save £40.00/year which is better than a kick in the teeth :beer:
    The odd thing is that I put in our energy usage for the year and Cheap Energy Club said we are currently paying £184/month when we are actually paying £156, and we are in credit (which I will chase e-on about if it gets too high). As it's a beta, I imagine it will improve over time.
    I'm still happy as I get to save money without changing providers.
    *Reminder to self...keep checking current provider for better plans*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport