American Express Guide

Options

Comments

• jibbyboo
    jibbyboo Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 23 February 2014 at 2:19AM
    Options
    I've recently got a Santander 123 credit card and an Amex True Earnings credit card.

Both pay cashback (different amounts for different things), but whereas Santander state in their T&Cs that merchants with X, Y & Z SIC codes are classed as places eligible for claiming certain %s of cashback, I have scrawled the Amex UK website and there's nowhere stating categorically which stores/ merchants/ restaurants etc will provide cashback. There's just a vague 'eligible merchants will provide 3%' for eg. The only specific example it gives is Costco, being that it's a Costco card that's unsurprising.

Does anyone know where this info can be found/ if it exists?

Thanks for your help folks! :)
    Please respond to mine and others' posts with courtesy and kindness- and I will not deliberately disrespect you. Down with the trolls!
  • mikmo
    mikmo Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    How easy is it to apply for multiple credit cards / offers? I have good credit and only ever had one MBNA credit card I've been using for past 5 years.

I was about to apply for the British Airways Credit Card as the companion voucher is useful to me but now thinking I could now apply for this the Gold Amex which has a great intro offer at moment, use it for next 6 months or so, then apply for the BA card and get all the intro offers there.

Would Amex / card provider block this exploiting of intro offers?
  • pingles
    pingles Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    You can certainly apply for introductory offers across categories. I opened the BA PP for the higher avios earn rate and the companion voucher. I opened the Gold card for the introductory bonus too. You may struggle to open 2 together at the same time or within 6 months. So, best bet is to open one now, wait 6 months and then try the next. The BAPP card has a good offer currently- I'd probably go for that first (given you'll also start earning on the voucher) and then open the gold card 6 months from now. If you'd like a referral link (you get more avios in the intro offer than if you go direct to their site) PM me and I can send you a link.
  • greenchicken
    Options
    I have a BA Amex blue card and almost have enough Avios for a couple of flights in Europe. But can I only buy one flight with my points, or is there a way to use my points to pay for my partner to fly at the same time? Would we need to set up a household account? I’m really confused!
    If I can only use the points for myself and I have to buy a second flight, it’s hardly worth the hassle!
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    I have a BA Amex blue card and almost have enough Avios for a couple of flights in Europe. But can I only buy one flight with my points, or is there a way to use my points to pay for my partner to fly at the same time? Would we need to set up a household account? I’m really confused!
    If I can only use the points for myself and I have to buy a second flight, it’s hardly worth the hassle!

You can book flights for people in other names with Avios in your name.
  • greenchicken
    Options
    You can book flights for people in other names with Avios in your name.

Thanks, but how?
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, but how?

Just log in and book it through the Avios page as normal. Just put their name as the name on the ticket. If your booking the same flight for yourself, just put two adults in the booking form and follow the instructions.
  • ell87
    Options
    That's all really helpful information, Thanks!
  • shafiq
    shafiq Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Note that the cashback is rounded down to the Pound so you only get cashback on whole Pounds spent. Buy something for 99p and you get no cashback.
    so many shope have prices ending with 99p so the business decision AMEX have made is good for them.
    You have to dig deep into T&Cs and in paragraph 37.1 you see that it says that cashback is for whole Pounds spent. This should be made clear in the advert as it is misleading. Maybe something to mention to the ASA.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    shafiq wrote: »
    Note that the cashback is rounded down to the Pound so you only get cashback on whole Pounds spent. Buy something for 99p and you get no cashback.

this is true, but it's still the best cashback deal on the market for high spenders, with great CS. i'm not sure whether CapitalOne work out cashback on part-pounds:think:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure