American Express Guide

Options
MSE_Helen_S
MSE_Helen_S Posts: 106 MSE Staff
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
edited 12 February 2013 at 6:57PM in Credit cards
Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,

MSE Helen S

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Loving that there's a definitive guide to the Foursquare offers now, nice work :)
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, it's a guide to AmEx-branded cards, not just a guide to short term Foursquare promotions. ;)

I'll be reading this in depth later, but I've noticed an apparent typo in the Lloyds TSB Duo card benefits, apparently offering two Eurostar tickets or one European flight for the 18,000 Avios bonus.

I regularly use Avios for European flights; many (if not most) cost 9,000 Avios, so the offer is for two flights to many European destinations, plus £30 each towards taxes and fees.

As for the Eurostar tickets, yes they may be available for 9,000 Euros each. However, there's a strong chance that they will cost more as they depend on cash prices on the day. The tip is to book as soon as possible for the best availability.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yet another thread? That's 5 I count now! You need to tidy things up on the forum-side MSE.
    Roger1 wrote: »
    Well, it's a guide to AmEx-branded cards, not just a guide to short term Foursquare promotions. ;)
    I've created a specific Amex offers website ...
    I had a look the other day. Unless it's changed, it's top heavy with Foursquare and has little on details of AmEx-branded cards as cards.

After all, this is a guide to AmEx-branded cards. (I may have said that before. :p)
  • Russinating
    Options
    Well the Amex 'guide' is nothing new, it's always existed under the credit cards section. And I'm not trying to replace MSE anyway, just help people with the lucrative Foursquare/Xbox etc offers :)

They also miss out quite a few Amex cards for it be called an Amex guide. The Nectar Card is one of the best going imo and it's not even listed.
    | Amex & Foursquare Hoarder |
    Cashback & Points (26/02/13)
    Nectar: 71,816 (£357) | Avios: 62,036 | Membership Rewards: 45,076 (£225)
    Foursquare & Xbox Cashback: £1,865 | Quidco Paid: £986
  • sfax
    sfax Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Options
    I just want to know why it's the American Express Guide guide :think:
  • tomking23
    Options
    great info, really appreciate this, MSE saves me again!
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 February 2013 at 5:20PM
    Options
    Myself and OH have 4 Amex between us and using Foursquare have hit House of Frasier, buying £200 of gift cards for effectively £100,(you can double dip on the HoF reward scheme, give them your card when you buy the gift cards and the points go on. Give them the card again when you spend on the gift cards and they put the points on again!!) same at Gap (you can use them at Banana Republic as well) same for Harrods(double dipping of points again), 4 x £15 rebate with £50 spend at Shell, 4x £15 rebate buying £30 gift cards at Pizza Hut, and 4 x £5 rebate for £10 added to my Starbucks card. Every one of these have shown on my Amex statements. So spent £960 but got back £440.00 Total net outlay £520.00
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • Russinating
    Options
    Four? Pfff. We've got 8 now :p
    | Amex & Foursquare Hoarder |
    Cashback & Points (26/02/13)
    Nectar: 71,816 (£357) | Avios: 62,036 | Membership Rewards: 45,076 (£225)
    Foursquare & Xbox Cashback: £1,865 | Quidco Paid: £986
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Four? Pfff. We've got 8 now :p

Sorry i was a late starter. I know some that has 16.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    I do wonder how much longer they are going to be able to offer these offers with the amount that is being redeemed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure