American Express Guide

Options

Comments

• zermattbusby
    Options
    TCB are currently offering £60.50 c/b for signing up to The Preferred Rewards Gold Card

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/american_express/
  • MrChumley
    Options
    I don't think the info on Amex cashback cards is right. The guide says:

"the Everyday card beats the £25 annual fee Amex Platinum if you spend £10,000 or less, but for higher spenders, the fee card works out as more profitable."

Because the everyday card has tiered rates, you only have to spend £3,334 to make the fee card pay more:

3,334 x 0.5% = £16.67

3,334 x 1.25% = £41.675 - £25 = £16.675

Since you have to spend over £3,000 to get cashback that means there is only a range of £333 in which the Everyday card is better.
  • theforumking
    Options
    american express is hardly used in the uk anymore... how do you even go about getting one?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    american express is hardly used in the uk anymore... how do you even go about getting one?

Pardon? Are you thinking of Diners Club?
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options

Hardly? Its being used more and more, cardmember numbers are doubling every two years in the UK. It's also accepted in most places these days as well.

You must be thinking of Diners Club.
  • johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    edited 14 November 2013 at 1:58PM
    Options
    Hi guys-

I'm just wondering if someone can help?? I referred my wife last night for a PR Gold Card and during application it asks 'do you already/currently have an Amex card.' She actually does have a card but she is only an additional/supplementary card holder on my account. I was just curious as wasn't sure if she put 'yes' it would affect the initial points boosts on this card. I wouldn't have thought so as surely their system will treat her as a new customer as she does not have an account in her own name but does have a card. Any Amex experts out there help??

ps-i did phone Amex and guy did say 'it didn't really matter what she put.' I wasn't really too convinced with his answer as it wasn't said with too much conviction.

cheers in advance.

UPDATE- she just finished applying a wee while ago and answered 'yes' to the above question. Didn't seem to do any harm as she was approved straight away. Now hoping we both get the points boosts with no hassles.

cheers
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    It won't matter, I've done the same thing.
  • johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    edited 14 November 2013 at 3:12PM
    Options
    It won't matter, I've done the same thing.

Thanks for reply. I didn't think it would and it didn't. It was more the employees uncertainty (my perception) that put doubt in my mind. Should never question their CS i suppose. Always found them about the best in the business!!
  • johnbhoy10
    Options
    Guys-

Just started using the PRG card and have noticed it's double points on supermarket spend!

We have an old Express Rewards card that we have used till now and that appears to give triple points on supermarket spend.

So after initial points boosts on PRG card i take it we're better off going back to the Express Rewards card.

Have i missed anything here?? Don't think so but any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers
  • reclusive46
    Options
    johnbhoy10 wrote: »
    Guys-

Just started using the PRG card and have noticed it's double points on supermarket spend!

We have an old Express Rewards card that we have used till now and that appears to give triple points on supermarket spend.

So after initial points boosts on PRG card i take it we're better off going back to the Express Rewards card.

Have i missed anything here?? Don't think so but any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers

Do the express rewards go into the same MR account?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure