American Express Guide

Options

Comments

• Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Received an email today offering 2.99% off your bill for 6 months (May-November). Seems almost too good to be true.

T&C:

Terms and Conditions

1. The promotional rate applies to purchases only and does not include Balance Transfers, Cash Advances, American Express Travellers Cheque purchases, Foreign Exchange, interest, any spending in excess of your Credit Limit, charges for returned payments, late payment or referral charges. Cardmembers whose payment history is not up-to-date may not be eligible for this offer.

2. The promotional period is for six months from 30 May - 30 November 2013. From 1 December 2013 the standard contractual interest rate will apply to any outstanding balances or to new purchases.

3. Cardmembers who have received this offer directly from American Express must activate the offer at amex.co.uk/lowrate by 19 May 2013. If you have any issues enrolling online please call the Customer Services number on the back of your Card before 19 May 2013. We are unable to accept any registrations for this offer after midnight 19 May 2013

Can anyone clarify for me - is the 2.99% applied to your entire balance during the promo period? Or is it just on new purchases?
  • sfax
    sfax Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Options
    Sponge wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify for me - is the 2.99% applied to your entire balance during the promo period? Or is it just on new purchases?

It's the interest rate applied to new purchases made in the period
  • Russinating
    Russinating Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just registered all 11 cards for the Shop Small promotion. Looking forward to tomorrow :D
    | Amex & Foursquare Hoarder |
    Cashback & Points (26/02/13)
    Nectar: 71,816 (£357) | Avios: 62,036 | Membership Rewards: 45,076 (£225)
    Foursquare & Xbox Cashback: £1,865 | Quidco Paid: £986
  • fedupnow
    fedupnow Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    I agree about trying it and not asking. I'm a trier.

Lidls said nay
    TGI Friday said nay (no great loss won't be going there again anyway.)
    Pets at home - YAY.
  • fedupnow
    Options
    Thinking about it, odd about the TGI's, innit?
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    edited 4 July 2013 at 9:26PM
    Options
    fedupnow wrote: »
    Thinking about it, odd about the TGI's, innit?

I used it at TGI Fridays not long again. Although that may have been in New York, not sure lol Pretty sure I've used it in the last year or two at a TGI's in the UK. Did you actually get the guy/girl to insert card?

Skype now takes American Express in the UK, US and Canada. Can't believe they didn't take it in the US! Pretty much every company uses an American Express Corporate card or small business card in the US.
  • fedupnow
    Options
    I used it at TGI Fridays not long again. Although that may have been in New York, not sure lol Pretty sure I've used it in the last year or two at a TGI's in the UK. Did you actually get the guy/girl to insert card?

Skype now takes American Express in the UK, US and Canada. Can't believe they didn't take it in the US! Pretty much every company uses an American Express Corporate card or small business card in the US.

Yes, I tried it and the machine asked for a swipe and then said, 'no.' Perhaps it was a freaky one off as it does seem odd that they wouldn't.

Ikea is another nay. Good job really, I could do with spending less in there.
  • thewestbridge
    Options
    Great Info, I really appreciate it :)
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    The shoe shop Brantano now takes American Express (in-store, online is coming soon).
  • wildcath2k
    wildcath2k Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 30 July 2013 at 11:58PM
    Options
    Hello Members,

I would like to introduce myself, I am a complete newbie in many sense:
    - Although I occasionally read articles in various forums, this is the first time I have taken the plunge and registered for an account in order participate in one, it’s for a good reason, I’ll let you in on the reasons a little later.

- I am also new to this particular forum

- Fairly new to the current trends in the best (most value) credit cards (since I have had my Barclaycard for 21 yrs and never thought to change it). On average, I spend close to 2k a month on my Barclaycard which balance is always paid off in full every month.

- New to collecting freebies and rewards other than my ‘MyWaitrose, Sainsbury Nectar and Tesco Club’ cards

Now the reasons for making the decision to join this particular forum tonight are:
    Someone mentioned to me a couple of months back about how he benefits of putting all his spend on his American Express card and the rewards he earns on numerous things (retailers) in the marketplace.
    I am about to embark on refurbishing my home and thought it might be the opportune time to venture out to find a card that will give me something in return for my big spend.

I have just read the article on ‘American Express Cashback’ guide, very useful indeed. However, it’s the nitty gritty details of the benefits that I am keen to understand and know before I decide on which type of Amex card to apply for. If my annual spend on the card is going to be circa £10k, will I benefit more by app applying for Amex ‘’The Preferred Rewards Gold Card’? The fee for having this card is pretty steep though, £125 pa although currently, on their website, they are offering £0.00 for the first year.
    My question is, once my first anniversary, will still be worth me having this option or do I get a Platinum (fee free) one at a mere 1.25% post first 3 months? Bearing in mind all the big spend to come in this next six months to 12 months?

Also where is the best place for me to apply for an Amex card, directly via their website or through their partners?

I would appreciate your views and guidance.

Yours
    Newbie to Forum, wildcath2k

P/s

Apologies for the length of this post, I thought it will be helpful to have all the background to allow members to offer me the best advice. Promise the next one will be muchsuccinct :)!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure