We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Green Deal MSE Guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    danababy6 wrote: »
    There must be a gas supply to the property.

A gas supply can be arranged as gas mains run past the property.
  • danababy6
    danababy6 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    A gas supply can be arranged as gas mains run past the property.

That work is available on the GD if the gas supply is available.
  • Coulsdon_Town
    Options
    danababy6 wrote: »
    Green Deal and ECO are 2 different schemes.

ECO is available to those in fuel poverty and hard to heat homes and the work is free to the customer. Funded by the Energy Companies.

Green Deal is available to everyone with an electric meter and is a loan for home energy improvements.

Exactly so, and in a nutshell. My point in post#497 (now rewritten) was to answer the various posts through this thread where people who know they are entitled to ECO are being fobbed off by Green Deal / ECO Providers (e.g. the Big 6 energy companies among others) or GD Installers. Being told 'we aren't doing solid wall insulation yet' or it's 'not available yet' when the reality is they are choosing not to because the current price of carbon doesn't make it profitable enough to do on a single property. Just as Green Deal appears to be failing many people or leaving them unconvinced (If you read this entire thread), so ECO also seems to be going the same way for some people. Very disappointing.
    A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past; he is one who is prematurely disappointed in the future. Sidney J. Harris
  • Coulsdon_Town
    Options
    Has anybody got an indication as to when the green deal will be available, I can see by previous posts it is being re written, but somebody in the industry reading this can put a time scale onto its availability, are we talking days, weeks or even months ! I thought the government was to release figures at the end of June regarding the conversion rate from the 19,000 assessments who actually went on to have work done under this scheme, as it stands that should be easily calculated at the moment because it probably stands as zero !!!
    Update to my post#498 :

A Department of Energy and Climate Change spokesman told GreenWise that the Government would be releasing official figures on Green Deal Plans at the end of June. [I.E. conversion of GD Visits to actual installations and signed GD finance plans]. He said it would be accompanied by further research looking at how many householders who have had an assessment in the first six months have decided to finance the energy saving improvements to their homes out of their own pocket instead of opting for a Green Deal plan.
    A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past; he is one who is prematurely disappointed in the future. Sidney J. Harris
  • bluesky09
    Options
    If anyone has had a Green Deal assessment done or used a provider or installer could they leave a review on greendeal-compare.co.uk The site has been set-up to help weed out the bad green deal companies from the good and will really help people that are in the same position you once was in. Cheers!
  • Lyndaloo
    Options
    Before paying for a Green Deal assessment checkout whether your local council is offering them for free. Haringey council was offering free assessments until the end of April.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Richie-from-the-Boro Posts: 6,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 May 2013 at 12:53PM
    Options
    bluesky09 wrote: »
    If anyone has had a Green Deal assessment done or used a provider or installer could they leave a review on spam.co.uk The site has been set-up to help weed out the bad green deal companies from the good and will really help people that are in the same position you once was in. Cheers!

- YES, thanks for that, it was already spammed by you on this forum just last week
    - again a 1st time poster, without URL posting rights managed to write the full URL longhand
    - that's why 1st time posters are not granted the right to 'link'

Note : The previous Dreamchaser spam on the above mentioned post, has still not been deleted by the Forum Team. I hope this and the prevous underhanded attempt to profit from the MSE Forum membership is also deleted by the team.

MSE members could / should help by clicking the spam spam_v2_small.gif button on #506 & #456. It, spam, is against forum rules.

Never be tempted to give personal details to Ross or anyone else you do not know, do not give home address - phone numbers - and especially banking details to spammers on the internet. If in doubt contact the Forum Team for help, advice and protection from the people. Look after the elderly & vulnerable who may just hand over their details to unknown sellers of warez.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can anyone confirm what danababy6 says a few posts above, about getting gas central heating installed on Green Deal where the house doesn't already have gas central heating.

I don't want to pay £100+ for a survey to be told it can't be done.

Can't find anything on the Internet. They must just think everyone has gas heating already regardless these days. And the ones who don't, can't, because they live in the middle of no where or something.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to check what it would cost to have the gas connected first.
    It is very "commercial" these days and some people have complained about it costing thousands.
    I spent £200 asking my DNO (District Network Operator - Thinly disguised Hong Kong Electric Company) if my supply could handle a Heat Pump and got the reply "probably".
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You need to check what it would cost to have the gas connected first.
    It is very "commercial" these days and some people have complained about it costing thousands.
    I spent £200 asking my DNO (District Network Operator - Thinly disguised Hong Kong Electric Company) if my supply could handle a Heat Pump and got the reply "probably".

I'm looking into getting free or discounted gas connection through Community Energy Solutions from Northern Gas Networks.

Just want to be sure if I can get old solid fuel fire/boiler replaced with gas boiler on GD.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport