We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com turns energy market upside down

Options

Comments

• tony222
    tony222 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    How about another "FAQ" How much commission is moneysupermarket being paid by suppliers for each switch that takes place through the club?

This is a brilliant bit of moneymaking expert spin. Let me rephrase “just keep all of your details on our database and when you switch supplier because we tell you there's a cheaper one, we get paid. In six months time when we find another one, we get paid again! Hopefully enough of you will be sucked in to make us millions!" Well at least £87 million to pay back our investment.
  • 0scar123
    0scar123 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    We're with Co-op energy. They only have one tariff and have just reduced the electricity tariff by 2% when all the others were increasing. Plus they pay divi on all bills :)
  • dog_nanny
    Options
    I'm currently with Npower. According to the calculator I can save £223 p.a. by switching to the Coop. (Ignoring "Spark" because of bad feedback!).
    Unfortunately when I check the cost given for Npower it is £224 higher than I calculate from the prices on the last bill.
    Is the £100 Npower dual fuel & DD discount included?
    My bill is 5 months old so perhaps I should wait for the new bill and check again.
  • bill48er
    Options
    Apologies if I've missed mention of it, but I can't see any reference to "Economy 10" tariffs. (N-Power call it "Super tariff")
    Why is it that all the comparison sites include Economy 7 but ignore Economy 10.
    It's so disappointing to find once again that this section of the market is being ignored.
  • bill48er
    Options
    Why are there so many people grumbling and moaning about MSE setting up this service?
    Do you not trust Martin and his team?
    It's a free service to you if you want to use it, and as with anything in life "free" has to be paid for some how.
    The owners/shareholders behind this project are entitled to cover costs and make a profit.
    If we are all so savvy on this site as some posters suggest, them we would all only use this tool as one of the options open to us before making a switch anyway!
    It's a pity I can't use it - I'm on Economy 10
  • pmhtuk
    pmhtuk Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    No saving available (on EDF Blue Sept 2013) but waiting for the Greater Manchester Energy switch report to find out who has bid for my supply.
  • tony222
    tony222 Posts: 32 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2013 at 12:09PM
    Options
    The point I was making is that no mention is made of the fact that it is in the interests of the site to get you to switch as often as possible hence the reminders I would imagine. If only a small percentage of MSE members register and use the site it will be a multi million pound earner for moneysupermarket. Remember, suppliers have been told to (and are in the process of) simplifying the tariffs available so in theory making your own comparisons should become easier.
    I set myself a reminder every few months to run a comparison to see if any better deals are out there. In reality I probably switch once a year because the best deals usually tie you in for a year anyway.
    A word of advice: always print off the details of the deals on offer and work out yourself which is cheapest. The split between standing charge and unit rates is very important. Often a “no standing charge” deal looks best but when you look accurately at your consumption you may be better off paying a standing charge but lower unit rate. The problem with all comparison sites is they use a base estimate – provided by the user – to calculate the potential savings on. If you get this wrong or just have a stab at it then the results can be inaccurate.
  • carmel11
    carmel11 Posts: 375 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with Co-op fixed , there is no charge to get out of it. Have I done right? I would prefer to use the payment card at the post office to pay it off as I go along . Any feedback on co-operative energy? How can I check?
  • MillicentBystander
    MillicentBystander Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2013 at 8:34PM
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    We asked this question when importing the underlying comparison feed issue - and there was a good answer, but Im struggling to remember it

I think it was the fact that if we switch you we need your exact address for the meter. Anyway MSE Archna is double checking for me and we'll get a proper response to you within a day or two.

Though to be honest the big point is we are not intending to do anything with the data other than the energy club itself, that's against what we do. Nor do MSM have any rights to use it (if they did it'd breach the editorial code).

Worst comes to the worst and we dont need it (im pretty sure we do) no worries we just delete the field - nowt lost.

Has there been any response on this? I haven't seen one but apologies if i have missed it as there are a few threads on this initiative and it's difficult to keep up at my age. :o Have to say I've used quite a few comparison sites and never had to put anything more than my post code/email address for just the comparison data.
  • Former_MSE_Archna
    Options
    Has there been any response on this? I haven't seen one but apologies if i have missed it as there are a few threads on this initiative and it's difficult to keep up at my age. :o Have to say I've used quite a few comparison sites and never had to put anything more than my post code/email address for just the comparison data.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I believe it's because there are quite a few postcodes that are cross region, so using the exact post code will give better results.

Also if you do decide to switch, we need that info to get your meter number and progress the switch (so ask for it upfront).

But as Martin said we don't do anything with the data other than help you find a good deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport