MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com turns energy market upside down

Options

Comments

• kanimisso99
    kanimisso99 Posts: 38 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2013 at 7:00PM
    Options
    One thing I noticed was the price of my current tariff was not correct, although energyhelpline, uSwitch and even MSM showed the roughly correct price I am paying now. That means the savings I can make look bigger/smaller in appearance compared to other sites, even though I make the same switch!
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    One thing I noticed was the price of my current tariff was not correct, although energyhelpline, uSwitch and even MSM showed the roughly correct price I am paying now. That means the savings I can make look bigger/smaller in appearance compared to other sites, even though I make the same switch!

I think you are going to have to say which particular supplier & tariff you are on and the supply region if you expect anyone to even attempt to start to investigate ;)
  • kanimisso99
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    I think you are going to have to say which particular supplier & tariff you are on and the supply region if you expect anyone to even attempt to start to investigate ;)

I double checked and found that I had entered the tariff name incorrectly for gas :( Edited and got the correct price now - sorry Martin for the confusion! :p
  • carnehan
    Options
    Got the email and instantly went to join the club. My postcode is recognised but it cannot find my energy supply region!

I live in Northern Ireland. Are we to be exempt from the Club?
  • NittyGritty
    Options
    i think what most people miss and dont realise is that Electric and Gas Prices go up EVERY single month or so maybe sooner when a new tarriff comes out, thats without the OFFICAL rate hikes when they come, so infact companys are getting even more out of you. without u realising. yes they call it price fixes, but all it is price hikes hidden behind (fixed tarriffs)
  • Wywth
    Options
    carnehan wrote: »
    Got the email and instantly went to join the club. My postcode is recognised but it cannot find my energy supply region!

I live in Northern Ireland. Are we to be exempt from the Club?
    No, I don't think any of the energy comparison sites cover NI online

You've only got, what, a maximum of 4 possible suppliers anyway and at least one of those only offers 1 tariff. The maximum any offer seems to be 4 different tariffs.

Perhaps a choice from 10 different tariffs in total?
  • carnehan
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    No, I don't think any of the energy comparison sites cover NI online

You've only got, what, a maximum of 4 possible suppliers anyway and at least one of those only offers 1 tariff. The maximum any offer seems to be 4 different tariffs.

Perhaps a choice from 10 different tariffs in total?

Thanks for that info. You are right, we only have four potential energy suppliers. I can move to Airtricity and save approximately 1p/unit on my current tarriff. My only stumbling block is an £80 debt to PowerNI - my current supplier!!
  • SonOfPearl
    Options
    Does this tool take account of those poor souls like myself who receive their gas via Independent Gas Transporters?
  • tghe-retford
    Options
    I think I found a glitch when I joined tonight.

I am currently with Ebico for both Gas and Electric on Equidual on a prepayment meter. When I checked who was the cheapest , it said I could save £96. That's good - except the cheaper tariff was Ebico for both Gas and Electric on Equaldual on a prepayment meter! How can the same company, tariff and payment method show two different amounts? Does not occur on any other price comparison website.
  • Wywth
    Options
    SonOfPearl wrote: »
    Does this tool take account of those poor souls like myself who receive their gas via Independent Gas Transporters?

What's the issue with IGTs?

Of the Big 6 suppliers, none apart from nPower should be charging extra for an IGT.
    nPower charge £10 a year extra
    The supplier we cannot mention charges £12 per year extra
    (both exclude VAT)

I don't think £10-£12 a year should be a deal breaker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure