🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com turns energy market upside down

Options

Comments

• MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Still not seen an explanation as to why you need a person's actual address as opposed to simply their post code? Apologies if I've missed it.

We asked this question when importing the underlying comparison feed issue - and there was a good answer, but Im struggling to remember it

I think it was the fact that if we switch you we need your exact address for the meter. Anyway MSE Archna is double checking for me and we'll get a proper response to you within a day or two.

Though to be honest the big point is we are not intending to do anything with the data other than the energy club itself, that's against what we do. Nor do MSM have any rights to use it (if they did it'd breach the editorial code).

Worst comes to the worst and we dont need it (im pretty sure we do) no worries we just delete the field - nowt lost.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • pobfan9
    Options
    Hi Martin

I would like to use your site but unfortunately it's not working for me.. I am entering info into uSwitch to check the maths etc as well, but when I add in my annual energy useage the MSE site comes up with a £2777 annual bill when we're only really £1415 ish. We are on Eon Save Online 11 but not sure where the maths is going awry.

Great idea though, and thanks

Pobfan
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm wondering why the Energy Club is describing the process as involving "a full market comparison" (my emphasis) and then immediately after says "using MoneySupermarket data"; whereas MSE's own page about utilities says that the "Top Comparison" is "Energyhelpline".

How can we feel sure that MoneySupermarket is checking the full market? Or is it only checking those who have signed up for referrals through its own site?

On other pages where comparison sites are suggested by MSE, Martin says that we should check three or four different comparison sites to ensure that the maximum number of companies are included.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »

Though to be honest the big point is we are not intending to do anything with the data
    Hoping I've just misread but that suggests that you still might.

Not that I'm bothered. Even if I did. What's a bit more junk mail amongst friends? :D

Back to the main topic. I'm not convinced this is anything more than a 'monitoring service' version of the Money Supermarket comparison. But even if it is - it's free and there's a chance to make a saving. I'll still be using the other comparison sites so later in the year when my fixed tariff ends I may be able to give a better opinion.

My biggest (somewhat selfish I'll admit) issue with schemes such as this is that those of us who regularly search for good deals will likely find them much diluted in the future if they have to be shared with more people - all those who in the past couldn't be bothered switching but now that most of the work's being done for them want to join the party.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    pobfan9 wrote: »
    Hi Martin

I would like to use your site but unfortunately it's not working for me.. I am entering info into uSwitch to check the maths etc as well, but when I add in my annual energy useage the MSE site comes up with a £2777 annual bill when we're only really £1415 ish. We are on Eon Save Online 11 but not sure where the maths is going awry.

Great idea though, and thanks

Pobfan

Only 3 possible causes of error I can imagine:

1. you are inputting the incorrect annual consumption figures in kWh
    2. You have provided the incorrect postcode (don't think this will happen as one thing insisting on the house number does do is confirms it's correct - that's not really a good enough reason for demanding the house number though)
    3. the prices MSM has loaded into it's databases are incorrect. (possible, but unlikely to the extent you describe)

:)
  • Wywth
    Options
    I'm wondering why the Energy Club is describing the process as involving "a full market comparison" (my emphasis) and then immediately after says "using MoneySupermarket data"; whereas MSE's own page about utilities says that the "Top Comparison" is "Energyhelpline".

How can we feel sure that MoneySupermarket is checking the full market? Or is it only checking those who have signed up for referrals through its own site?

On other pages where comparison sites are suggested by MSE, Martin says that we should check three or four different comparison sites to ensure that the maximum number of companies are included.

All the accredited energy comparison sites have details of all the generally available tariffs from all the suppliers. :)
  • Wywth
    Options
    VoucherMan wrote: »
    Hoping I've just misread but that suggests that you still might.

I think it means there really is no intention of ever doing anything with it :)
    (so I'm interested to also hear why it is being requested)

But nothing you post in cyberspace is ever 100% safe.

This site has been hacked before, as has twitter recently.
  • Jakey1
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    Don't believe everything you read on t'interent. ;)

e.g. Anyone can create one (or more!) accounts on this site and post anything they want (as long as it's within the rules)

Perhaps you could name an energy supplier that doesn't have anything bad said against them on t'internet.

How much can you save with Spark? Are you sure you have registered with the correct forum if you are not interested in saving money?

Edit: Just read your other previous post on this site - yep it does seem like you advocate paying more for things than necessary :cool:

I could save about £300 with Spark but even their own review site only gives them 3/5. Don't make assumptions about other posters.
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    All the accredited energy comparison sites have details of all the generally available tariffs from all the suppliers. :)

But don't they all require you to actively request that they search the whole market? IME they tend to default to 'show all tariffs i can switch to immediately' (i.e only those they get a kick back from wink wink).
  • Wywth
    Options
    But don't they all require you to actively request that they search the whole market? IME they tend to default to 'show all tariffs i can switch to immediately' (i.e only those they get a kick back from wink wink).

I don't know how all the sites work. Some certainly default how you say (such as MSM) but some don't (like EHL)

I have been assured the MSE Energy club, despite using MSM, itself defaults to all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport