Options
14567810»

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2013 at 9:10AM
    Options
    MSE_Archna wrote: »
    Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I believe it's because there are quite a few postcodes that are cross region, so using the exact post code will give better results.

Also if you do decide to switch, we need that info to get your meter number and progress the switch (so ask for it upfront).

But as Martin said we don't do anything with the data other than help you find a good deal.

Hi MSE Archna,

I don't think anyone was questioning the need for the postcode, but rather the requirement for the full address (i.e. including house name/number).

Other comparison sites do not require the full address (e.g. Martin's preferred comparison site, Energyhelpline) to provide a customer information on "a good deal"
    They only request the full address if the customer, having been provided with the details of "the good deal" wishes to go ahead with such switch.

I thought, according to the Data Protection Act, you should only request and retain personal information you actually require, and even then it should be retained for no longer than reasonably required.

I'm not sure requesting personal information "upfront" before the customer has elected to go ahead with any switch is within the spirit of the legislation.

I would kindly request that you again review the actual requirement for such personal information, and if not then as per Martin's post:
    MSE_Martin wrote:
    Worst comes to the worst and we dont need it (im pretty sure we do) no worries we just delete the field - nowt lost.

:)
  • Former_MSE_Archna
    Options
    Hi

I didn't explain that very well - but the reason still stands. Within a postcode someone can be in a different region. Eg a GU1 xxx postcode could cover two supply regions. Having the full address means we get the right region and therefore give more accurate results. But let me go back to MoneySupermarket and reconfirm that's the issue and how big a problem it is. If it's a minor issue, we'll look at changing it. We've designed what we think is a good user process, so always happy to hear feedback on what could make it better.

Thanks

Archna
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family