MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com turns energy market upside down

Options

Comments

• philwakely
    Options
    Without reading all of the posts above, this may have already been said, but...

Cheapest is not always the best! Read the reviews for both Spark and First:Utility (some on this very forum) and you may not be impressed!

However (again, probably preaching to the converted here), always do your homework after you have done a price comparison and before you switch
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    I think I found a glitch when I joined tonight.

I am currently with Ebico for both Gas and Electric on Equidual on a prepayment meter. When I checked who was the cheapest , it said I could save £96. That's good - except the cheaper tariff was Ebico for both Gas and Electric on Equaldual on a prepayment meter! How can the same company, tariff and payment method show two different amounts? Does not occur on any other price comparison website.

I've just come across the same error for another user here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4415717

The issue appears to be when working out the current cost, MSM (where MSE is getting its data from) uses the unit price of daytime E7 electricity, but when giving you the options uses the correct price for a single rate supply.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2013 at 10:37PM
    Options
    philwakely wrote: »
    Without reading all of the posts above, this may have already been said, but...

Cheapest is not always the best! Read the reviews for both Spark and First:Utility (some on this very forum) and you may not be impressed!

However (again, probably preaching to the converted here), always do your homework after you have done a price comparison and before you switch

Definitely do your homework ... and don't believe all you read on the internet, especially on forums where you cannot verify the veracity of what is posted.

A couple of things i have noticed about the posts criticising Spark on this site are:
    1. The vast majority of posts, if not all, are made from users with low post counts (Makes you think when there is no restriction on creating duplicate user accounts - not implying you have more than one but who knows about others?)
    2. I reckon there are at least as many posts that attempt to criticise Spark just because they have read other posts, rather than having any first hand knowledge. (Again, be very careful of hearsay - especially when you cannot verify the voracity)
    3. Most of the criticism of those who actually claim to be with Spark tends to be about when you try to leave and obtain a refund. As Spark are so often coming out as the cheapest supplier, it does make you wonder why all these people even attempted to leave in the first place.

Remember, the gas & electricity is exactly the same coming through the same pipes and wires - the only difference is the billing & customer service
    (How often does the average customer contact customer services? I know I rarely do. About once per year if that. Do I really want to pay £300 for such a contact that perhaps lasts an hour even with the worst of customer services?
  • wacko911
    wacko911 Posts: 678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please consider adding northern Ireland to your site, I know the market over here is much smaller but it would be nice to know when its time to switch.
  • scottme
    scottme Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    I am on the EDF fixed to 2014 duel fuel tariff and the only "saving" the tool found for me was the variable rate Spark offering. Thanks but no thanks.

On the other hand, it has made me even more aware that I really need to change my gas boiler, which is of 1980's vintage. I've kept it because it's totally reliable. It gets its annual service, and the technician always tells me they don't make them like that any more! But my goodness it does burn through the cash.

When I entered my monthly gas usage (30 times the average daily usage from my last bill), the form made me check as it considered the monthly usage to be excessive. I have been using nearly 250kW a day recently - cold weather and that - but I really must bite the bullet this year and replace it.
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    scottme wrote: »
    I am on the EDF fixed to 2014 duel fuel tariff and the only "saving" the tool found for me was the variable rate Spark offering. Thanks but no thanks.

On the other hand, it has made me even more aware that I really need to change my gas boiler, which is of 1980's vintage. I've kept it because it's totally reliable. It gets its annual service, and the technician always tells me they don't make them like that any more! But my goodness it does burn through the cash.

When I entered my monthly gas usage (30 times the average daily usage from my last bill), the form made me check as it considered the monthly usage to be excessive. I have been using nearly 250kW a day recently - cold weather and that - but I really must bite the bullet this year and replace it.

It's rarely money saving to replace a reliable, working, safe but inefficient boiler. Think of the initial outlay and how many years it will take to recoup it in savings on your gas bill. In fact, it's entirely possible the new boiler won't last long enough to get to break even. Like your plumber says, they just don't make boilers like they used to.
  • meggsy
    meggsy Posts: 741 Forumite
    Options
    scottme wrote: »

Our engineer says exactly the same as yours, and it is older, we won't be changing until the boiler stops working tbh. It only needs a service and a new thermo-couple.

I often check consumption here as well
    http://www.ukpower.co.uk/tools/smart_meter_calculator/
  • meggsy
    meggsy Posts: 741 Forumite
    Options
    We're with Co-op Energy but the Fixed tariff isn't include on the club site, will it be added Martin ?
  • mafupi
    Options
    Having just used this new service, it suggested a saving of £575 by switching to Spark. When I looked at the reviews on their site, the message was clearly steer clear at all costs!
    :eek:
  • Atidi
    Atidi Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    I reckon Spark Energy could be the new Worldwide Marketing Solutions for MSE

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2530467

Look at the Newbies who regularly bump that thread. :eek:

They do say there is no such thing as bad publicity. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills