MCZ Musa Hydro 15kw - thoughts

Options

Comments

• Swampy2
    Swampy2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the link cancunia I'll have a look at the relay and change it all though this should be covered under warranty if spec flue will acknowledge the fault! The pump has actually now decided to turn itself off again now after two weeks. I did speak to spec flue about this over the phone before and they blamed it on overheating possibly caused by bad Installation! And as there was no draught stabilizer they stuck a sticker on the stove and refused to look at it any further. Similar to burnado's situation I also have small children.

My advice to specflue is to revisit your policy on households with vulnerable people. No one appreciates having their heating turned off with no solution when young or old people are at home. It so happened the day after they turned it off my son was sick over him self in the middle of night and needed a bath.

Dotherightthings post is interesting this is more or less describes what has happened to my stove. I have even less confidence in the stove after reading this. Such a quote does need some verification, maybe spec flue cares to comment on this. Or dotherightthing could verify there source?

I haven't spoken to MCS recently but they were very clear before that the cause of the fault was unknown. Do they also now have the same line as spec flue ie it's definitely a installation problem and not a product fault.

We no longer spend any time in the room with the stove nor have it on if we're asleep or out. We also clean it out twice a day just make sure. It's definitely not burning right and always did before the explosion, maybe our airflow sensor is broken.
  • dotherightthingnow
    Options
    Any one with the slightest doubt needs but ask themselves again who has had their accreditation suspended, manufacturer or installer?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Does anyone know if any musa hydro 15 has had an explosion problem? I cannot find any. Seems as though the 15 and 22 have been lumped together for no good reason
  • starwalker_2
    Options
    kittie the MCZ Musa hydro 15 stove has definitely exploded along with the 22 version. We were passed detailed information about these stove faults and explosions over a year ago.
  • cancunia
    Options
    That's interesting to hear about the 15kw stoves. Both MCS and Specflue have only referred to 22kw stoves having this problem so far as I know.
  • Swampy2
    Swampy2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    starwalker wrote: »
    kittie the MCZ Musa hydro 15 stove has definitely exploded along with the 22 version. We were passed detailed information about these stove faults and explosions over a year ago.

Hi Starwalker, who is 'we' what were the details you were passed over a year ago and who passed them to you?

I'd be interested to see the details.

The more I think about it the more I think it might be my air flow meter that is faulty. The pellets get blown out of the brazier too quickly and don't burn fully. Initially blamed on not having a draught stabaliser, I've since had one fitted and it's still happening. It also didn't happen for the first year and a half of it operating with out a draught stabaliser fitted. It work very well for the first year and a half. Since then the ignitor failed, the pump fails to turn itself off, it exploded blowing the seals out of the window and it no longer burns the pellets correctly.

My thought is that possibly the fan is blowing too much air through. Does anybody have any details on testing the air flow flow meter? ie resistance etc or any idea how much a new one is? I did take it out when the problem first occurred thinking it might be dirty, it wasn't. I was very careful with it knowing how fragile air flow meters on cars are.

MCZ sell a lot of stoves they must be capable of making a quality product.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 August 2015 at 9:42PM
    Options
    starwalker wrote: »

evidence please starwalker? No I thought not, not a single 15 stove exploded. Ours is now 4 1/2 years old and is functioning perfectly, never any lumps of pellets coming down, just a nice steady trickle as required
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am backing up my post above re the 15kw

http://www.microgenerationcertification.org/images/20141022_FAQs.pdf

The others are suspended due to mcz communication failures. From the above link

 Does this affect all MCZ products?
    No, we have only been made aware of incidents involving the Musa Hydro 22 and Club Hydro
    22. However, all BRE certified MCZ products have been suspended. The suspension is as a result
    of communication failures relating to the incidents. This suspension does not extend to HETAS
    certified products.
  • starwalker_2
    Options
    kittie my mistake there are two known Musa 15 hydro stoves which have exploded. One installed October 2011 and exploded early 2014. The other installed March 2012 and exploded also early 2014. The clients names and addresses are know to us. We would not mislead on this information which was copied to MCS.

In early 2014 the incidents were apparently reported to Specflue who blamed the installations but at that time they were NOT told to add draught stabilisers to their flues. The draught stabiliser seems to be a latest idea which has arrived from thin air. It is not required within the installation manuals or ever part of the manufacturer technical training.

kittie as your installation is 4 1/2 years old, did you have a draught stabiliser originally or have one added later? What do you or your service engineer think is different between the 15 and 22 versions (apart from the heat output)? Can you confirm if your stove has the active system technology?

Swampy2 we are a company who do not install pellet stoves but we are knowledgeable about their design and installation. We have been copied numerous emails from UK companies who have experienced faults with these stoves such as the overfill of fuel resulting in the glass explosion.
    If your stove is persistently blowing burning pellets out of the burn pot then this can only be due to the fan power (definitely not solved by a draught stabiliser). The fan on these stoves is affected by the airflow sensor. The fan RPM will need checked within the stove technical menu when the stove is still running. This is the only way to know if the airflow sensor is working properly. They are known to fail with the suspected consequences of fuel overfill.

cancunia you are absolutely correct as a draught stabiliser is very unusual on wood pellet stoves.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 August 2015 at 9:42PM
    Options
    starwalker, I`ll answer as much as I am able

we don`t have a draught stabiliser

I don`t know if the stove has active system technology. It was supplied in summer 2010 as a new model musa hydro. My guess is probably not but we always get either balkan brites or verdo, top quality enplus 1 pellets

mcs state that they know of only 4 incidents and they relate to the 22

We don`t get pellets being blown out of the burn pot

All I know is that the pellets trickle smoothly, the only residue to clean every day is some ash. We clean the exchangers every day, as suggested by service engineer. Dh adapted a strong metal allotment peg so we don`t have to lift the top off the stove

We are meticulous about cleaning and servicing. I know two other owners who most likely don`t clean that well, one has had to have a burn pot replaced. We always clean the burn pot, every day and the holes are always fully open. All pellets dropped do get burnt efficiently
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure