We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Ovo Energy Reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I inherently like OVO. As relatively new entrants they have done things differently and the customer service staff seem just that bit better and more personal.
    My enthusiasm is curbed, because like others have said, their inflexible approach to switching internally within the fixed period is a deal breaker.
    Their newest, cheapest rate is competitive for my consumption and would retain my business if they allowed me to change to it.
    The policy encourages switching for relatively small amounts to OVO and as a result they lose all the income and the associated profit margin.
    I have written to them to show them the economic cost of their inflexible policy but they currently didn't want to know.:(
    Onwards.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    backfoot wrote: »
    . . . Onwards.
    . . . with another supplier, no doubt.

I was with them for a few years and had no problems . . . until I wanted to go to another supplier . . . then their spite kicked in with invented readings and attempted overcharging.

Voting with your feet is only way to persuade energy suppliers to see the light. Unfortunately, it's not likely to be until their past customers move away in droves that they will take any notice.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • backfoot
    Options
    . . . with another supplier, no doubt.

Voting with your feet is only way to persuade energy suppliers to see the light. Unfortunately, it's not likely to be until their past customers move away in droves that they will take any notice.

Yes, switched yesterday after the briefest of stays with OVO.

Interestingly, Eon's Rep ,on the adjacent thread, describes how they actually alert you if a cheaper alternative from themselves is offered. Scottish Power allow you to swap tariffs as well (putting aside the bungling billing currently ).

OVO's inflexibility has cost them the profit margin on my total consumption plus the admin costs of processing my switch in and out, all for the sake of conceding profit on about £40 of turnover. I am sure they will grasp it eventually.;)

With cashback I stand to gain around £70.
  • SirFreddy
    Options
    My Eon tariff is going up £240pa in January and I had OVo on my radar as a company to switch to, now I am confused.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SirFreddy wrote: »
    My Eon tariff is going up £240pa in January and I had OVo on my radar as a company to switch to, now I am confused.

What are you confused about? the one thing that you can guarantee with energy tariffs is that they are ever changing.
  • backfoot
    Options

I haven't moved to Eon as they are expensive for me. Different consumption levels and patterns mean that different supplier's will suit different customers.

I had switched to OVO mainly because they had competitive gas unit price and I am a high gas user, especially in winter. They then lowered their price even more on their one year fix. In asking to move onto that tariff, they explained that I would lose the online discount (not a connected issue) worth £60.:eek:

So due to their inflexible attitude, I checked the market again and came up with savings with a new Supplier.

The new OVO rate may still be good for you and generally I have liked them as a Supplier from a previous spell with them.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Interestingly, Eon's Rep ,on the adjacent thread, describes how they actually alert you if a cheaper alternative from themselves is offered. Scottish Power allow you to swap tariffs as well (putting aside the bungling billing currently ).

OVO's inflexibility has cost them the profit margin on my total consumption plus the admin costs of processing my switch in and out, all for the sake of conceding profit on about £40 of turnover. I am sure they will grasp it eventually.;)

I have just found out that EON use the same smart meters as OVO https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/can-i-switch-energy-suppliers-with-smart-meter.html

I would save about £70 as well so I am thinking about switching.
  • SirFreddy
    Options
    Confused because some recent posts have been disappointed with Ovo CS and I thought that they were one of the best for CS.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Options

That's right backfoot, we use a Price Alert system to let customers on fixed price tariffs know when a new version is available. This is an online service only and customers do need to register for the alerts. This can be done through their online accounts or over the phone. Once a new version is available, we'll email the alert no later than 10 days after the launch.

Hope this is of interest.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Confused because some recent posts have been disappointed with Ovo CS and I thought that they were one of the best for CS.

I think that you will find that recent posts - including mine - are not complaining about Ovo CS. I am moving to get a better tariff. I would not be leaving if it were not for Ovo management's policy on tariff switching. That said, they are not alone in not allowing penalty free tariff hopping. If Ovo still offers a low tariff then they can expect me back in 3 months time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback