New Post Advanced Search

Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power

edited 23 October 2014 at 10:26AM in Energy
714 replies 172.5K views

Replies

• BoxmanBoxman Forumite
    140 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    Because of a recent Quidco cashback offer after being with them for three years I have just switched from Sc Power to another supplier and to be fair to them the treatment they have given me has been totally as one would hope for and expect. There was a small discrepency in the final readings between the old and new supplier which initially meant I was invoiced by both of them for the same period for a short while but this was easily sorted with one phone call to Sc Pwr, corrected final invoices issued and the amount I was in credit returned by cheque within seven days.

My decision to move was purely economic and apart from a small reservation about the length of time I was occasionally kept waiting on an 0845 number to get through to customer service, if the numbers added up I would happily go back to them at some time in the future.
  • About 3 months ago they increased my DD by £70 (60% of my DD), without any notification (or so i thought).

I contacted them to discuss an demand my money back under the DD scheme as I couldn't afford the dramatic increase. They placated me and pointed me to a very inconspicuous paragraph on a previous statement, and the fact there was a debit balance that needed to be cleared by the end of my fixed contract. After some discussion they advised me they would let me pay the debt back over 12 months. However, despite numerous phone calls, raising 4 complaints (by phone, my online account, and email) I have not heard from them. So I am still paying the increased debit and juggling finances to cover.

I left them about 5 years ago based on my experience of poor customer service, but went back to them 12 months ago based on price availability. NEVER again.
  • gregg1gregg1 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Scottish Power are a bloody nightmare to deal with. Left them couple of months ago, they have all the final meter readings but they will not refund us our considerable credit balance (few hundred pounds).

It is extremely difficult to get hold of anyone on the phone (the call back facility has only been available once and then the call was not returned).

Anyone have any advice where to go from here please?
  • Not sure if this right place to post - but want to warn everyone:
    WARNING! Anyone who can - Please check your energy bill due dates. We're with Scottish Power. Our bill date WAS 8th Nov - I logged into a/c and gave meter reading and £50 credit (to soften the blow) around 4th Nov. Logged in on 8th to see actual bill - and noticed bill date put back to 15th Nov. just logged in to pay some more credit and Bill Date has been PUT BACK AGAIN, to 8th Dec!!! This is 2 days AFTER their price rise! Please check your own accounts - Don't be caught out!
  • gregg1gregg1 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    gregg1 wrote: »
    Scottish Power are a bloody nightmare to deal with. Left them couple of months ago, they have all the final meter readings but they will not refund us our considerable credit balance (few hundred pounds).

It is extremely difficult to get hold of anyone on the phone (the call back facility has only been available once and then the call was not returned).

Anyone have any advice where to go from here please?

Thought I would report on my (hopefully) successful result.

As we subscribe to Which magazine I spoke to their legal team this morning and a very helpful gentleman gave me the personal contact address for SP's Chief Exec.

I decided to try once more on the phone first. The girl who came on the phone just kept repeating parrot fashion that I would have to wait for their "system" to produce a final bill (even though we finished with them two months ago and they had the final meter readings two months ago as well). She then said once we had the bill we would have to start the process of claiming the refund all over again as they do not automatically give the refunds, you have to request it ( which is outrageous).

She was absolutely adamant she could not/would not look into it further. Until, that is, I mentioned I had the Chief Execs contact details, named him, and said I would be contacting him. She took my number, got back to me half an hour later to say the bill was done and our refund would be processed immediately along with a pretty generous goodwill payment for our inconvenience!

Shameful that you have to go to those lengths to get hold of your own money!
  • kuepperkuepper Forumite
    860 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Had to commit complaint to writing by email as no action from phone staff. No reply from customer services email within the stated 5 working days. Also discovered that besides emergencies the homecare boiler service is only contactable on 0844 number, there is no email nor no postal address!
  • Bella56Bella56 Forumite
    215 posts
    We have been with SP for the last year on an unbeatable rate. I've only had to phone them once, and the woman I spoke to was very helpful and sorted our E7 problem straight away. We'll probably sign up to them for another year on their new fixed rate as it has been very straightforward and our DD was lowered without us even asking. Although I'm very tempted by Good Energy, but their prices aren't fixed.
    Debts 2004: £6000..............................................Aug 2007: £0!!!!
  • kuepperkuepper Forumite
    860 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    kuepper wrote: »
    Had to commit complaint to writing by email as no action from phone staff. No reply from customer services email within the stated 5 working days. Also discovered that besides emergencies the homecare boiler service is only contactable on 0844 number, there is no email nor no postal address!

tweeted customer services, no reply to that either. I'm off, sick of them
  • I am on the on line fixed tariff ending 31st December 2013. I have been with them 13 months and have now been offered the on line fixed tariff to 28th February 2015 which seems to compare favourably to the other big companies. There is however an exit fee of £50 if you leave early but they are crediting £30 if I switch before December. I have had very good service with no problems. On line readings give you a bill summary straight away with a detailed bill in 3 days. I think I will fix at this rate as I cannot imagine fuel prices reducing in the next 15 months while on this fix.
  • FrogletFroglet Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    POLAR_BILL wrote: »
    I am on the on line fixed tariff ending 31st December 2013. I have been with them 13 months and have now been offered the on line fixed tariff to 28th February 2015 which seems to compare favourably to the other big companies. There is however an exit fee of £50 if you leave early but they are crediting £30 if I switch before December. I have had very good service with no problems. On line readings give you a bill summary straight away with a detailed bill in 3 days. I think I will fix at this rate as I cannot imagine fuel prices reducing in the next 15 months while on this fix.

Hmmmm.All i can say is,they USED to give a bill summary staright away,but that hasn't been my experience.They always emailed to say the readings were due.They didn't this last time.As i was changing my tariff on the 31st Oct i input my readings anyway,but discovered an estimated bill had been produced for the electricity.Knowing it can be adjusted i wasn't too worried.

No immediate bill came up,it took a few days to get an amount.Still no exact bill though.When nothing happened for several days more i rang.Always a wait of at least an hour! It took me a whole week before eventually i got someone to call back.They said it was all to do with the change over of the tariff! Yes,likely.NOT!!

When i FINALLY got a bill i was not impressed to discover they had got the gas readings correct but had gone by their low underestimated electricity reading.Which means that i will be paying more than i should be on the new rate.

I know i can give them the readings online again but i do not trust them to get it right so i shan't bother.They have gone so far downhill compared to what they used to be.You only have to go on to their facebook page to see the number of complaints!