Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power

Options

Comments

• jeallen01
    jeallen01 Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blackfoot

My post was not supporting SP! Just saying that, personally, I did not have too many problems with them - other people obviously have had far worse experiences!
  • batemansxxxb
    batemansxxxb Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Recently switched from Npower to Scottish power,got an email asking me to input opening meter readings on the 27 April, so did so, expectoing the readings to be passed to y prev suplier,so they could provide a closing bill,received an estimated bill from Npower dated the 20 May,so rang them this morning,it turns out that Scottish power didn't pass on the opening read,rand Scottish power also,they were going to use the estimated readings from Npower, i just hope this isn't a sign of things to come,they seem totally incompetent
  • Malmo
    Malmo Posts: 710 Forumite
    Options
    Another negative vote from me for this terrible company.

I had moved into my new home at the end of September & on that very same day I spoke with someone in the Home Movers team in Scottish Power who processed my request to set up a new account & direct debit. Since then, I had no correspondence, either electronic or postal, and no debits taken from my bank account so I called Customer Service in February to find out what the status of my account was & spoke with an agent who confirmed that no prior history of my contact or account details could be found on their system at my address! She created a new account as a remedy.

On top of this blunder, after the "new" account was active, I noticed that the correspondence address on an online statement was completely incorrect, addressed to someone in a completely different town/city...I can't even begin to imagine how they managed that. Possibly some very flawed customer profile identification logic they built into their IT application.

I have experience in enterprise-wide customer service IT projects for a very large retail corporation and so this looks pretty poor for the company (hence why I had already switched away from Scottish Power at an old previous address). I would advise against switching to them. I switched soon after to Ovo, whom I've switched to before at a previous address.
  • Sosumi
    Sosumi Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options

We were with “Scottish” (now Spanish) Power for about four years until we switched to Co-op Energy in early 2014.

Just as well we did, their own accounting system went toes-up at about that time.

During the “cooling off” period of the switch, I was abroad and some extremely pushy person from their Customer Retention department rang my wife at work :eek: , during the afternoon :eek: , when she was in a board meeting :eek: :eek:, and demanded to be put through to her! :mad:

I asked if that had been embarrassing but she smiled and said sweetly, “Initially. But once I found out what he was ranting on about, I gave him such a roasting on the telephone that at the end of it all the other Directors gave me a standing ovation!”. :T

Somehow, I don’t think we’ll be going back to SP. :D

Especially now that they have introduced Early Exit Fees on many tariffs. :(

It took them four months and three increasingly vigorous prods before we received a cheque of some £90 for our final credit balance.

Co-op Energy’s accounting system then went into meltdown itself the following year, so we switched promptly to E.ON on a collective fix that was also £92 a year cheaper and have been with E.ON, on one fix or another (mostly collectives) ever since. E.ON has been brilliant.
  • jeallen01
    Options
    Does that mean that E.ON has finally bit the bullet and got its act together - probably doesn't want any more large fines for screwing customers around!
  • Sosumi
    Sosumi Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options

Oh, yes. For the last 17 months since I switched to it, E.ON has been faultless – excellent in every respect.

Can’t speak for how it was before then because I wasn’t with them.

One of the things that’s struck me is how many of those on here whom I respect also now seem to be with E.ON. I plough my own furrow but it’s reassuring to see others have come quietly to the same conclusion.

Still, in two years time who knows what may have altered among the suppliers?

Nothing lasts forever and things can change quickly (as Co-op Energy’s customers found to their cost). But, certainly, I’m very happy with E.ON at the moment. Hope it lasts!
  • klarko2003
    Options
    Scottish power are the worst of the worst. 2008 i was led to believe switching from scottish gas to scottish power was cheaper. since 2009 ive been in debt to scottish power, phoned them on a number of occassions to come check my meters for faults ( on holiday for 3 month came home to gas bill for over 200gbp and an electricity bill for around the same). i live alone in a 1 bedroom flat. phoned them anyway said they need to check out the meters, told me i would have to pay the bills before they could do anything about it. phoned around 5 times in 2 yrs all with same responce and bills adding up quickly, lost all hope and got prepay meters in thinking i could manage the amount i use and it would be on record. wrong theyre now sending bills out saying im not using enough gas or electricity and billing me for a few hundred again. thankfully i came across martins site and have now lodged a complaint to scottish power complaints and because i have complained with no sucsess on a number of accassions i have also opened a case with ombusman:j:j:j:j
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 18 August 2016 at 7:37AM
    Options
    Sosumi wrote: »

Oh, yes. For the last 17 months since I switched to it, E.ON has been faultless – excellent in every respect.

Can’t speak for how it was before then because I wasn’t with them.

One of the things that’s struck me is how many of those on here whom I respect also now seem to be with E.ON. I plough my own furrow but it’s reassuring to see others have come quietly to the same conclusion.

Still, in two years time who knows what may have altered among the suppliers?

Nothing lasts forever and things can change quickly (as Co-op Energy’s customers found to their cost). But, certainly, I’m very happy with E.ON at the moment. Hope it lasts!

I've been with E.on for almost 5 years now, so that speaks for itself?

I've also had their smart meter system for 4 years now i think, which is another reason for staying with E.on. I know i was one of the first to get it. It's been invaluable for someone obsessed with saving money on energy? :rotfl:

I did almost switch to N Power last year, but after reading the complaints on this site, i cancelled my switch and now i'm happy to play the switching game via E.on tariffs, including collectives (4 or 5 in the last 12 months, all with E.on.)

Still, i don't need to switch for another 23 months if necessary? :)

It's definitely down to individual choice and priorities / needs, when choosing energy suppliers and tariffs. No two people have the same requirements.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • mattk_180
    mattk_180 Posts: 375 Forumite
    Options
    I've just found out that the house I am buying is with Scottish Power on both gas and electricity.

Upon reading some of the posts here I feel I may need to switch shortly after moving. :eek:
  • jeallen01
    Options
    Matt

Surely you will start a new contract with SP when you take over the property? So get your new supplier set up before that date and then switch within, I believe, the cooling off period on the SP contract and I would assume that you would not pay any exit charges(?).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback