Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power

Options

Comments

• backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been a customer of SP for a few years.

Things were going well until recently when the online system developed some bizarre changes.

The billing history on my account disappeared and the balance showed as around £4,000 credit for a period of time. Then suddenly the balance changed back to more normal levels by a series of debits many of which, but not all, were put through on the same day.

It is impossible to understand the balance or examine previous bills.

The Customer Service staff could offer no explanation so encouraged me to submit a formal complaint, which I did and requested the billing history be sent to me manually by post.

I am promised a response by Tuesday 24th Nov, so I will report on progress after that.

My opinion is that SP have a serious bug on their system when a tariff change is actioned. Some other customers have reported similar problems but a genuine explanation has not been forthcoming from SP.
  • backfoot
    Options
    Very predictable but the promised phone call re my complaint did not materialise today.

Perhaps my phone number disappeared from their records along with the bills.

Pathetic.:(
  • Madders55
    Options
    I have had an endless amount of problems with SP and am continually amazed at thier incompetance . Having read some of the comments on this forum , I am now not so suprised. It seems to stem mainly from thier computer system.
    I have tried to set up a DD with them for almost 18 months , that is after trying to actually get a bill out of them for almost the first year !
    I have now set up a standing order myself to try and get the outstanding bill under control...... most companies have some glitches and I am fairly tolerant but I really wish I had not changed companies.
    I now dread the time when I am able to leave SP , goodness only know what they will come up with.
  • katherinelc
    Options
    Ive had an absolute nightmare with Scottish power and currently have a complaint with the ombudsman about them.
  • corners_2
    Options
    Don't hold your breath guys, having lodged a complaint in March 2013, which ended up with the ombudsman with a resolution agreed by both sides, in September 2014, SP were unable to produce a proper bill until June 2015. This bill was incorrect and unfathomable, so after much toing and froing the amount owed was sorted in July 2015 and a payment plan was started, all payments agreed have been paid at least a week before they were due.

So, explain to me whi I get a phone cfall on 26th October 2015, another one a week later and a further call amonthy later telling me that whilst they can see I have made the payments, all payments are late, the payment arrangement is therefore void and they are threatening credit default.

I now have to lodge another complaint.

NIGHTMARE
    :T £500 saved this year on annual Building & contents cover :T
    :T £200 refund from bank for address error & missing bank card :T
    :T * Free * gas and electricity pending supplier's compliance with Ombudsman's decision. :T
  • Scottish Power have been billing my elderly father based on estimated readings on a meter that was removed 3 years ago. My mother died last year and had always dealt with the bills. On checking the electricity bill I found Scottish Power had billed my dad for about £10 for six months of usage, and he was considerably in credit. They have written on one bill from January 2014 that the meter was customer read. Firstly my mother would not have read it as she was in palliative care at the time. Secondly if it had been read they would have realised the meter reading was wrong. This wasn't realised until this summer after many calls from me. They said they would send a rep to check it,. No-one came.
    I have been trying to get this sorted for months. They just say it is being investigated and they will keep us updated of the resolution. You cannot get any further than cut and pasted replies.
    My father has now left them but still has not received the refund for the amount he was in credit.
    We are so frustrated and the fact that at 87 the worry is affecting his health just doesn't bother them at all.
  • DreaJ
    Options
    I started the switch away from Scottish Power on 5th March 2015 and today received another demand for full payment after Scottish Power unexpectedly cancelled my direct debit payment plan. This has been one of a catalogue of errors and numerous attempts to set up payment plans on my account causing stress and wasting my time. I have now made a final full payment in the hope that 9 months after I switched, I can finally say goodbye to Scottish Power. No wonder they are second only to NPower as worst energy supplier for customer service. I will not be returning to SP whatever the deal.
  • Mumto5
    Mumto5 Posts: 1,838 Forumite
    Options
    My dealings with Scottish Power ended in early November. I've looked at my accounts and they owe me money on both gas and electric

Why hasn't this been refunded to me?
    Why should I have to chase for it?
    Shameful behaviour Scottish Power!
  • backfoot
    Options
    Scottish Power have been producing bills which are incorrect due to a system glitch which lost previous gas billing data. The fix they used proved to be incorrect.

Details can be found in this thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5357927

If these sorts of threads, started by MSE , are to have any value then SP should be asked to comment on matters which are systemic and may affect other customers.

Although my individual complaint has been resolved by the production of a manual bill, the Complaint Handler/s were unable or unwilling to provide a meaningful explanation as to what had caused the glitch.

In relation to their wider responsibilities and Regulations under the Code Of Practice for Accurate Billing they should give a full explanation of the problem and correct the billing for anyone else affected. There is no possibility that the error only affected one individual account.
  • backfoot
    Options
    To add insult to injury Scottish Power have now used an incorrect closing electricity meter reading on my switch to a new supplier.For some unknown reason they have dreamt up another estimated reading equivalent to 3 days consumption.

The process is that the new supplier gives the final reading to the old supplier. This ensures continuity between suppliers.

SP now confirm that they have used the wrong figure and have refunded the charges. Had i not intervened this amount would have lost to me.

This is yet another fundamental billing error for which there is no excuse.

They are clearly not fit to be operating in this market and should be avoided.:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback